Egr delete vs. blockoff

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
What's everyone doing about this and emissions? I know most don't mess with it but I can't help myself. Was DPF on till Sep. last year when stuff "fell" off my truck. I didn't at first run block off plates to monitor egts till November and I was told unplugging the EGR valve wasn't necessary. Fast forward to emissions time and I reverse the "accidental falling off" process. After about 10 miles and no codes, CEL codes of P042E and P0490. Does unplugging do anything since the tuning disables the valve? So I have ordered a new EGR valve hoping that will take care of it. After I get through emissions and this stuff "falls" off again, wondering if 1, I just replace the bad egr valve and keep the good one on the shelf for once a year emissions purposes or 2, do the Egr delete which would be more involved. I think there would be a lot less chance of stripped bolts and breakage going the valve route but curious of y'all's opinions and what if any of you are doing if you're like me and can't leave well enough alone? Thanks fellas!!

TRENT310

Reaction score
I was like wait, didn't I just read the exact same post word-for-word 2 minutes ago? lol

Like I said, I vote for unplugging the butterfly valve and EGR intake pipe block-off plates since you intend to periodically return the vehicle to stock emissions setup. That way there will be no exhaust flowing through the EGR but continued coolant flow, and the butterfly valve will be inoperative.

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks buddy. Figured I'd post on a couple sites and have twice the shot at replies. Lol. I didn't realize the valve would still operate and was under the impression the tuning disabled the valve. The boss lady gave me a look like if you're gonna do this every year for tags, you're an idiot!! Lol gotta keep momma happy! The truck is really boring to drive with emissions in place canned tunes vs. the hot x tunes!! Just can't go back!!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
ill say one thing, the EGR delete sure removes a ton of crap from the engine bay.

Latest posts

Members online