egt's are high i think?

rsater1

Reaction score
before I get to 100 mph it's at 1400 dg's what is next step .. t 4 mount and turbo ,,new oil pump ?? any ideas

Swaan

Reaction score
1400 is not bad. Just a wot dig is not gonna hurt anything.
Your probley in your hottest tune so to be expected.
Only time temps like that are an issue is if you were pulling for minutes on end towing. Mine would be about the same on my hottest tune. Nothing to worrie about.
If im just rippin around town i dont even look at my pyro.
Only time i watch that is towing in my hotter tunes

Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Are often are you doing 100mph?

Kind of what I am wondering too? :popcorn:

On another note, the 38R may not be quite enough for the fuel the 175/80's can flow. However, if you can manage not going over 1250* for longer lengths of time, you would be alright.

03cody

Reaction score
My truck, although a 6.0 had seen 1800 before when I was briefly running 190's and a stock turbo. It's fine. I think yours are pretty good considering you have bigger injectors and such in it. Just watch them while towing and you'll have nothing to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Kind of what I am wondering too? :popcorn:

On another note, the 38R may not be quite enough for the fuel the 175/80's can flow. However, if you can manage not going over 1250* for longer lengths of time, you would be alright.

Holy crap....how small is the allowable injector going to be?...5 years ago it was the 238/80 even though they will only push it to about 32-34 psi... now the tiny a code is too much?

Im just poking a bit of fun but i run 250/200s with mine and ran 175/80s before and mine were barely tickling that charger.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I just went and did this and mine hit 1300...my gate was opening at 23psi...so i need to investigate that. Had the charger out three weeks ago but didnt mess with anything
Got new tunes yesterday and they seem to fuel harder so maybe thats part of it.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Holy crap....how small is the allowable injector going to be?...5 years ago it was the 238/80 even though they will only push it to about 32-34 psi... now the tiny a code is too much?

Im just poking a bit of fun but i run 250/200s with mine and ran 175/80s before and mine were barely tickling that charger.

I guess you can run whatever injector you would like with a 38r, but with anything 160/80 and above, there are much better turbo options (T4 and T4i). That turbo was designed for the 400-425HP range. That can be easily had with a set of 175/80's.

Should be able to see well over 32-34psi of boost with 238/80's also.

Swaan

Reaction score
Yeah i agree.
32-34 psi is low for 238/80.
Sheeeeet,i can tickle 38 psi with my "tiny" 175/80s.

Swaan

Reaction score
Yeah i agree.
32-34 psi is low for 238/80.
Sheeeeet,i can tickle 38 psi with my "tiny" 175/80s.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I guess you can run whatever injector you would like with a 38r, but with anything 160/80 and above, there are much better turbo options (T4 and T4i). That turbo was designed for the 400-425HP range. That can be easily had with a set of 175/80's.

Should be able to see well over 32-34psi of boost with 238/80's also.

I know, i had 175 80s four years ago. And without being hot as hell trying to run over 70mph the most cool, smokefree power I could wrench from them was 405hp. I made up to 425 but that tune would smoke in certain spots. I know three people running that setup that make 450 but its ugly. Long pw and calling for 3200 psi to try to keep it crisp but then the icp drops because the pw is set at 5ms. 14-1600 degrees... blech...

175/80 and 238/80 might be flowing the same if the tuning isnt maximized for it. Theres some real turd reman injectors out there.

Im sorry, yea, if i have a cast wheel in my charger it'll go up to 38-40 but i think thats just because that wheel isnt happy there. With a billet wheel my psi readings are lower but theres much less cleaner gas coming out the pipe.

There are umpteen people on this board who tuned their own crap that are making clean hp with 38r chargers (stock cast wheel) right up under 500hp with 200% nozzled hybrids. My "stock" tune puts to shame a chipped stock fueled truck. Cleaner and it drives like a daily tune for 175/80s. Which in most tuning apps is ~400hp. But clean and cool.

But whatever. Buy 4k $ setups just to manage egts withba tinyn oil hungry a code. The early 00s were fun after all. Maybe twin termies to keep icp in check when you tow and hit a hill. Been there, done that. Hell an adrenaline maxes itself out trying to move enough earl with those injectors.

Im interested in a 364.5 sxe but thats to improve my results not get 1400 degree egts on a 400hp truck. Thats just bananas. Sorry guys.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I know, i had 175 80s four years ago. And without being hot as hell trying to run over 70mph the most cool, smokefree power I could wrench from them was 405hp. I made up to 425 but that tune would smoke in certain spots. I know three people running that setup that make 450 but its ugly. Long pw and calling for 3200 psi to try to keep it crisp but then the icp drops because the pw is set at 5ms. 14-1600 degrees... blech...

175/80 and 238/80 might be flowing the same if the tuning isnt maximized for it. Theres some real turd reman injectors out there.

Im sorry, yea, if i have a cast wheel in my charger it'll go up to 38-40 but i think thats just because that wheel isnt happy there. With a billet wheel my psi readings are lower but theres much less cleaner gas coming out the pipe.

There are umpteen people on this board who tuned their own crap that are making clean hp with 38r chargers (stock cast wheel) right up under 500hp with 200% nozzled hybrids. My "stock" tune puts to shame a chipped stock fueled truck. Cleaner and it drives like a daily tune for 175/80s. Which in most tuning apps is ~400hp. But clean and cool.

But whatever. Buy 4k $ setups just to manage egts withba tinyn oil hungry a code. The early 00s were fun after all. Maybe twin termies to keep icp in check when you tow and hit a hill. Been there, done that. Hell an adrenaline maxes itself out trying to move enough earl with those injectors.

Im interested in a 364.5 sxe but thats to improve my results not get 1400 degree egts on a 400hp truck. Thats just bananas. Sorry guys.

Yes, with a live tune you can squeeze every little bit out of a 38R with pretty much any injector up to a smaller hybrid. But you won't see the full performance benefit that the injector has to offer in doing so. On the same note, not everyone is able to get a live tune done and investing in tuning software/learning how to tune is out of the question for most.

My simple point is... A 38R was not designed for the 500HP mark, so pushing it to that point is going to take more work than it is worth. I personally run a 38R myself, so I have no hatred towards it. It is a great turbo for it's intended application. Just has it's limitations, as do all turbos.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You don't recall that extensive testing Bill@php did on a 2002 cclb drw truck back in 2012 or 2013 do you?

His non live custom tunes were making 525 with 250/200 and a 38r. Custom tuning and no other changes made 547 or some damn thing. Then a billet wheel did 563...changed the exh housing to a 1.15 from the stock 1.0 38r gated housing. Lost power, less boost, etc...no positive gains to be found. They wound up at 603 all on the same dyno with a 38r 250/200s and a 1.0 wg housing. Boost was only 36-38 lbs.

Many were crying foul at 603hp out of that setup but the 525 was totally believable and perhaps even low for that setup. Point being, that charger is oft cited as being too small for much.

I just hate that being said because if you upsize much more on your charger and its a street truck you lose a whole lot down low and if you need to drag something behind you.

There are people with 250/100s that cant keep a gt4094r lit towing. How fun would that be? Thats basically the next size up charger.

Outside of that, i agree that specs on bw's sxe line appear to be waaay better than the little garrett but Id need to see something a hair more concrete. Afterall in 2011 there were quite a few saying an s366 was better than the 38r all around and knowing firsthand that isn't true other than maybe at wot with big injectors that was struck down fast. And you don't hear that anymore.

To keep this moving forward, the kc 38r looks to be a stout little unit! Id like to try one.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
In a perfect world, Garrett says this turbo is rated for an estimated 590 HP at the crank:shrug:
Screenshot%202016-08-23%2020.26.52_zpsv3w8gmd8.png

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats fine but its gone far beyond that and to no detriment. Look I get it. Paper says this, paper says that. But its not always right. Garrett doesnt how to tune a 7.3 or build injectors or x or y. They have a way to rate things and its no different than an injector builder saying "my injectors can do this" but not realizing a bench isnt real world.

If you throw your truck on a dyno and it makes 520hp at 30 psi but in the street you can push it to 45 easily do you assume that 520 is in fact "it"?

Anyway. There are better units out there but this old, tired rhetoric that you can only do 450 hp with a 38r is dated and has been proven way off multiple dozens of times over.

Id like to see someone test a 364.5 sxe and 250/200s with all the support mods. Oil, air, studs, built trans etc. It m9ves more air on paper. Wouldnt it be something to move 20psi towing and be able to move around 90lbs lbs/min when hot rodding around?

Id really like to p&p a set of heads to see how much better the system uses the air.

Latest posts

Members online