Electric Fan

Monster12valve

Reaction score
Has anybody converted to an electric fan only? I see Mishimoto sells an electric fan, how would that work with the factory rad... Just removing the mechanical fan and installing the electric fan.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Ran flex-a-lite electric fans on my 6L...worked flawlessly. Had absolutely zero issues. Couple guys in my area run them that tow fairly heavy and have zero issues. They work great and give you tons of extra room under the hood. I'll post pics soon

strokin6L

Reaction score
Here's some pics of my flex-a-lite electric fan setup. I modded the 7.3 powerstroke fan kit to fit because they didn't actually make a kit for the 6L's until just last year. There's actually quite a few guys that ran the 7.3 kit on a 6L. Also quite a few guys are running electric fans on their trucks...they work nice and like I mentioned earlier....add tons more room. You wont notice any more power and probably not any extra mpg's. I did it solely for the extra room.

Attachments

• 251.JPG
    251.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 252.JPG
    252.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 254.JPG
    254.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 255.JPG
    255.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 88
  • 256.JPG
    256.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 94

mstng5point0

Reaction score
For those of us that rarely tow and or live in cold climates would this be a worth while upgrade? I don't tow more than 10k, hell I only tow a couple times a year and its prolly 5k. But I do like in Nh where its cold. Would this help with warming the truck up a lot quicker?

strokin6L

Reaction score
shouldn't have any issues. There is a VSC(variable speed controller) where you can adjust at what temp for the fans to engage/come on. I live in Western NY...it gets pretty cold here and I never had a problem when I ran them. Like I said....others that I know of in my area have never had any issues. I hope to get flex-a-lite's new 6L kit at some point.

Last edited:

gman1

Reaction score
I have Flex-A-Lite,s new 6.0 electric fan kit that I adapted to fit my 6.4 pulling truck. Its a nice kit that pulls a ton of air. I dont think you will have any issues.

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Has anybody converted to an electric fan only? I see Mishimoto sells an electric fan, how would that work with the factory rad... Just removing the mechanical fan and installing the electric fan.

No problem

for the little to gain if any, its not worth the time/money/effort imo

Electric fans seem to be a very interesting concept for diesel trucks. Many will agree that the benefits are not worth the upgrade. We just picked up a 6.0L shop truck and an electric fan kit is something we are considering as a future project. If anything, we want to gather any data in regards to performance or efficiency benefits of removing the large mechanical unit.

Hopefully we have some information to spread regarding this in the near future!

Ran flex-a-lite electric fans on my 6L...worked flawlessly. Had absolutely zero issues. Couple guys in my area run them that tow fairly heavy and have zero issues. They work great and give you tons of extra room under the hood. I'll post pics soon

Here's some pics of my flex-a-lite electric fan setup. I modded the 7.3 powerstroke fan kit to fit because they didn't actually make a kit for the 6L's until just last year. There's actually quite a few guys that ran the 7.3 kit on a 6L. Also quite a few guys are running electric fans on their trucks...they work nice and like I mentioned earlier....add tons more room. You wont notice any more power and probably not any extra mpg's. I did it solely for the extra room.

I have Flex-A-Lite,s new 6.0 electric fan kit that I adapted to fit my 6.4 pulling truck. Its a nice kit that pulls a ton of air. I dont think you will have any issues.

Thanks for chiming in guys! Gman did you notice any improvements in power or fuel mileage with your setup?

-John

mstng5point0

Reaction score
shouldn't have any issues. There is a VSC(variable speed controller) where you can adjust at what temp for the fans to engage/come on. I live in Western NY...it gets pretty cold here and I never had a problem when I ran them. Like I said....others that I know of in my area have never had any issues. I hope to get flex-a-lite's new 6L kit at some point.

It gets cold there like it does here. I think they would make a nice difference in how the truck warms up in the morning.

gman1

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in guys! Gman did you notice any improvements in power or fuel mileage with your setup?

-John

Unfortunately I have not checked mileage or HP yet as this will be my 2.5 class pulling truck (could care less about mileage). What i liked about it is no more clutch fan cycling even when it was cold out. Im sure HP and mileage will pick up as it takes alot to turn the fan even when its cool out. Also it cleared up ALOT of room up front. But thats just my opinion.

strokin6L

Reaction score
You will notice next to nothing in power and mpg improvments. Maybe if you're a guy that tows huge weight where the fans kicks on max speed while towing...then maybe you might gain an extra 10hp and less than .5mpg under those conditions. Other than that...don't expect to notice any improvements in that department when not towing.

Mishimoto

Reaction score
It gets cold there like it does here. I think they would make a nice difference in how the truck warms up in the morning.

Very true!

Unfortunately I have not checked mileage or HP yet as this will be my 2.5 class pulling truck (could care less about mileage). What i liked about it is no more clutch fan cycling even when it was cold out. Im sure HP and mileage will pick up as it takes alot to turn the fan even when its cool out. Also it cleared up ALOT of room up front. But thats just my opinion.

Gotcha, thanks for the information. Quicker vehicle warmup is certainly a benefit to a setup such as this.

You will notice next to nothing in power and mpg improvments. Maybe if you're a guy that tows huge weight where the fans kicks on max speed while towing...then maybe you might gain an extra 10hp and less than .5mpg under those conditions. Other than that...don't expect to notice any improvements in that department when not towing.

Thanks for the information!

-John

wildbill963258

Reaction score

I cant seem to get on flex-a-lite's website, so do you know if they offer an electric fan setup for an OBS 7.3?

Latest posts

Members online