Electric Fuel System Questions.

Tom S

Reaction score
I agree the stock size lines are functional for reasonable sized injectors.

Big Bore

Reaction score
My biggest problem with the stock lines at the time was the ease with which they were damaged when doing turbo/downpipe work. I had less of an issue with the mechanical pump than I did with the banjo lines. My final plan was to cut the lines flush with the banjo and tap the holes for fittings. I didn't have any fuel problems with 150cc singles. I had leaky fuel lines to the pump, and hated the fuel bowl, but that was it. IMO a remote filter and regulator with a good mech pump would have been sweet.

If they would make a performance mechanical pump for our trucks I would sully the valley of my SD with it immediately. I love the reliability of mechanical vs electric, and having electric fuel pumps will drain your batteries a lot faster when your alternator dies. Having two electric pumps (AirDog + Walbro) will drain em even faster. Ask me how I know.

Irishcream

Reaction score
I only plan on stage 2's eventually. If I go any bigger then a new turbo will have to be in the works therefore making room for the swap from stock to stainless lines.

old man dave

Reaction score
You can use larger lines by adapting the fuel rail plugs at the back of the heads for AN-6 lines. My buddy cut off the pipe threads on AN-6/1/4NPT fittings, brazed them to the fuel rail plugs and drilled through the modified adaptor fitting and fuel rail plug. These plugs are o-ring seal so they don't need to be torqued a lot to seal. Aeroquip makes an AN-6/1/4NPT close bend fitting that just clears the firewall but I don't recall what the part number is, the other bend fittings for AN-6 lines are wide bends that do not clear the firewall. I also don't like the hard 90* fittings. If you use 3/8" pushlock hose then the close bend fittings also fit. The AN-6/fuel rail plug is also sold by DI at a price probably cheaper than you can make it. I just plugged the original fuel orifices in the heads with 1/8" NPT plugs. One is included in Bean's fuel system that I installed but I wanted both sides fed with AN-6 sized lines.

As far as damaging the small hard lines at the back of the heads goes, one day while I was Sawz-Alling out my old downpipe......

Last edited:

Irishcream

Reaction score

Tom S

Reaction score
It looks like you are headed down the wrong track. I am following a lot of threads what exactly are you wanting to do?

Irishcream

Reaction score
I'm using the stock lines going into the back of the heads. I don't want to take the turbo off to run new lines especially if there is nothing to be gained. I was trying to find a way to hook up to the banjo bolt without a machine shop making some custom piece. Since I am getting rid of the fuel bowl I'm not too concerned on the size of the fitting. Just thought it was a little funny how big it was.

Tom S

Reaction score
OK, I had to go back and look that over. I think you will want to more closely follow what Tim did for his. I will add this, when I started into working on this project I did know jack chit about hydraulic fitting and such and was not keen on going to a hydraulic shop. Once I got in there and starting looking around it was not big deal. I just hunted around and created what I needed just like if I was in the fittings section of the hardware store.

Tom

Big Bore

Reaction score
Neither of those will work for the banjo, but I think you may be confusing the banjo with the stock fuel line location. Banjo is a 12mm thread, but the thread is recessed deep within the head. It is also on the end of the head down low. The current fuel line fitting into the top side of the head is 1/8" NPT.

Last edited:

Irishcream

Reaction score
then I may be using the term incorrectly. I am trying to connect the existing steel lines out of the back of the head that normally go into the fuel pump. From what I understand this is the supply for the heads with the returns coming from the from going through the FPR on the fuel bowl. Correct so far? Since I am going electric, I need a way to get the fuel into the motor without removing the turbo/pedestal and putting new fittings into the head. therefore I am using the "thingy" with the two steel lines going into it to feed my fuel from my pump/filter assy. I have to do this in my driveway on a weekend so fabricating elbows and distribution blocks is not an option so I have to get everything I need before hand and keep it as simple as I can.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think it will not. This is the fitting that makes Tim's set up work. 1) –12 SAE O-ring to ¾” Male NPT adaptor. It is the far left part in his photos. The other two are the means to the end.

Irishcream

Reaction score
I gave all the info on fittings to my parts guy and the setup he gave me is in the pictures. Maybe I simply have too many fittings. You saw the picture of all the fittings apart?

Tom S

Reaction score
How about show him the photo. The female -12 O-ring boss fitting is the key. That is what accepts the old fitting from the pump.

Big Bore

Reaction score
then I may be using the term incorrectly. I am trying to connect the existing steel lines out of the back of the head that normally go into the fuel pump. From what I understand this is the supply for the heads with the returns coming from the from going through the FPR on the fuel bowl. Correct so far? Since I am going electric, I need a way to get the fuel into the motor without removing the turbo/pedestal and putting new fittings into the head. therefore I am using the "thingy" with the two steel lines going into it to feed my fuel from my pump/filter assy. I have to do this in my driveway on a weekend so fabricating elbows and distribution blocks is not an option so I have to get everything I need before hand and keep it as simple as I can.

I think I see. Your current lines are connected to a banjo on the fuel pump, and we've been referring to those also as banjo lines, because they are permanently connected to a banjo fitting that bolts to the pump with a banjo bolt. Looking back, I may have confused the hell out of the guy at the hydraulic shop when working on my fuel system. LOL

It looks to me like there is a confusion in the type of o-ring connector being asked for. I could be wrong.

Irishcream

Reaction score
I had another look at the connection at the fuel pump and it appears to be a "Banjo" fitting with the two lines going into the fitting. the fitting is between the Banjo Bolt and the fuel pump. If you removed the banjo bolt and the fuel pump you'd have a ring with two fuel lines coming out of the side.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.