Electrical problem?

Powerstroker6.4

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been a member for a little while but finally ran into my first problem today...:fustrate: It goes like this, my dad called my his afternoon and told me that when he went to go for lunch in his '08 f250 king ranch it clunked into gear when he went to put it into drive. Thinking it was odd for a 100% stock truck that was never ran hard and always had regular service intervals, he then put it into reverse. Guess what? It did the same thing. So then when he went to go, it acted like it was in 3rd gear or so, from the beginning. Hoping it would go away, he continued to drive it, and then it would never go out of a higher gear from a dead stop again. When I finally got there, none of the above things happened again, other than the back up camera in the rear view mirror kept on blinking in and out when it was in reverse and supposed to be on. My initial thought was something electrical had gone crazy for a little while, but now I don't know for sure. If any of yall any ideas, I'd be happy to hear what ya'll have to say...

sootie

Reaction score
i would get a scanner on it and see what codes are stored.

Powerstroker6.4

Reaction score
It is going to be deleted and what not this week sometime by a diesel shop, so if I can't figure it out before then, we'll just have to see what they say about it I guess.

sootie

Reaction score
not a good idea to throw tunes and power at something that may be broken

Powerstroker6.4

Reaction score
The guy over at autozone claims that because it didn't have a wrench light on the dash, that he can't check anything. Says I have to go to Ford and spend around $75 or so to get it read??

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
e15a7240ff89814f006efd5deacda137.jpg
2efdd9eb75405e2293dce4ef1213791b.jpg

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Powerstroker6.4

Reaction score
Hopefully the last update on this subject for a little while! 😂 The mechanic checked it out and said that some housing down by the transmission was loose. So he took it off, put electrical grease on the contacts, and tightened it back down.

Powerstroker6.4

Reaction score
Well....very upset right now! The mechanic charged $300 to also replace that electronic pressure control solenoid. He "supposedly" checked all the other solenoids at the time and the were all fine. Down to what I'm upset about. The light came back on today and is showing the exact same symptoms. I'm not very good with electronics, and I don't want to spend more money again if it ain't gonna fix it!! Anyone have any ideas what it could be this time?!

kealiher2004

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have a bad wire. I would find a wiring scamatic for the trans to ecm and ohm out the wires checking for continuity. Also checking ur grounds that ty into the circuit. Ive seen times that ford put ground wires to a painted surface so the only thing making the ground is the threads of the bolt. So i took sandpaper and cleaned the surfave to bare metal where the wire eyelets touch the surface, reattach the grounds makin sure they are tight then repaint over them to prevent rust.

Delaware6.4

Reaction score
Check your TCM harness. Mine chafed a wire and caused a bunch of trans problems and codes.

Powerstroker6.4

Reaction score
Since I've been busy and he does have a back up truck, this hasn't been addressed much more in depth until tonight. I pulled the tcm down, checked the harness, and no wires were loose, chafed, or broken. Also the ground for the circuit is just fine. The only thing I didn't do (because I don't know how to do) was to check the ohm of the wires.

After it happened the first time, the mechanic told him to reflash the ecm. He did this and it worked for a little while. After it happened the second time, I told him to try crawling underneath the truck and wiggle the tcm harness. This was a temporary fix until he could get it worked into the shops schedule. But one day, after it showed the symptoms again, he crawled underneath to wiggle it, but no matter which way he wiggled it or anything, it wouldnt work. That's when I crawled underneath of it myself tonight.

So I guess the question is. Does anybody have any more suggestions? Since reflashing the ecm worked the clear first time for a little while, he was just gonna replace that and the tcm incase it was fried. Should he just go ahead and try this next? Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Not only does it have me stumped, it also has two different diesel mechanics puzzled!!

Powerstroker6.4

Reaction score
Right before I bought a new wiring harness, I decided to rip it all out, and see if I could figure it out. Stripped all the covering off (down to the coated wire) and inspected the wiring out the whole way through. When I came to the tcm harness, instead of a wire being chaffed, it had a loose connection that needed tightened and cleaned, causing it to semi-short. It was getting power but not full strength. After I tightened and cleaned it, it works like new!! So glad to have finally figured this out!

Latest posts

Members online