Engine Build

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
just broke a oil ring (dont ask).. .010 oversize pistons.
I had them gaped .019. just put a standard size oil ring in the bore and it is .018. Can I gaped that one and use it ???

TARM

Reaction score
Ha Ha. I have done things like that more then I can to admit. Get in a rush. Try and take a short cut. Ends up costing me many times what it would have to just take my time or not try to cut the time.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
made some progress over the long weekend. the only thing that concerns me at this point is the bloody engine stand. its rated to 2000lbs but man its struggling with whats on it now.

enginestand.jpg

How heavy are these engines fully assembled ??

Last edited:

neverkickn

Reaction score
How heavy are these engines fully assembled ??

Don't know, but I would want to get the hoist hooked up to that thing for some added insurance if I where you. It would suck to come out and find a few thousand dollars and all those hours of work on the floor.

TARM

Reaction score
They are closer to 1K than 2K but those single point stands just can not take the leverage the weight that far way from the mount puts on them without bowing like that. Put a jack under the other end with a piece of wood to bring it back to level and even out the weight.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Got home from work and chocked it up with some timber and a jack. Now its stable I can torque down the head studs. Gotta say , Im not to keen lifting it off with the eyelets on new gaskets and freshly torqued head studs.

TARM

Reaction score
You can manf a cradle out of some straps and hooks and lower in that way with no stress on the heads. Tie in the hooks as a safety measure inc ase something goes titsup with the cradle setup so nothing gets fubar'd. But honestly consider what kind of pressure that head is seeing in a focused area when a cylinder fires that is producing an average tq load of 1200 ftlb let along the various ones in cycle @ say 3500 rpms. But I still understand the uneasiness. I would likely feel likewise. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Took the words out of me mouth. Its Saturday arvo just got home from work and Im about to do just that. I have some 50mm square hollow that Im going to weld up and use the engine mount holes .

neverkickn

Reaction score
How will you install an engine into the frame when your point of attachment to the block from the hoist is the mount holes on the block? You will have to use jacks once the engine is in the chasis in order to remove the bracket you made. That will be pretty dicey from a safety standpoint.

You aren't gonna mess anything up hoisting it from the heads. It's done all the time. If you got them installed properly you will be fine. I certainly wouldn't be interested in trading any risk of damaging the head seal for the risk of losing fingers, arms, or my life.

No offense, just my perspective.

TARM

Reaction score
I was not thinking of using the engine mount holes as you state but more just use 2 sets of straps to make a sling for it that would allow for a clean raise lower and mount. I may not be thinking it all the way thru properly but I agree with Neverkickn on the downsides not being worth it the way I am reading your posted plan..

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
The frame I made is only while Im working on the engine in da cave. I realise that the lift points are there for a reason. Just didnt want to use em straight after torque'n the heads. I will let it sit for a coupla days then re torque and then I will use the lifting points. Thanks for the concern:)

neverkickn

Reaction score
The frame I made is only while Im working on the engine in da cave. I realise that the lift points are there for a reason. Just didnt want to use em straight after torque'n the heads. I will let it sit for a coupla days then re torque and then I will use the lifting points. Thanks for the concern:)

Ahhh.......cool!

neverkickn

Reaction score
Couple of things. It doesn't sound like it is running right, and it didn't sound like you ran it up to wot. Maybe I am off on both accounts.

Latest posts

Members online