Engine Dusting

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
filters are over rated..... lol. my puller has not had a filter on it in about 3 years lol. i do have a 6637 on my sd though, and my granddads had a k&n, never noticed dust in it. its got a 6637 now but the k&n was gettin old and didn want to have to clean it.

Last edited:

PsRumors

Reaction score
Ugh...

People, its not the filter media... Its the sealing of the box.

Agreed its a K&N issue, but its not the filter media.

I have had the same AFE/S&B/K&N type oiled gauze filter for 7 years and 200k... NO dusting issues at all.

It's not just the sealing of the box....Lots of people don't understand how to properly care for an oil gauzed filter

CSIPSD

Reaction score
It's not just the sealing of the box....Lots of people don't understand how to properly care for an oil gauzed filter

True as well, but if you *** up the filter by drying it with compressed air... Thats not the filters fault.

Bruno2

Reaction score
I either set them on the outside AC unit to dry or just let them sit on the work bench overnight and they dry just fine. Whenever I would buy a filter from K&N I would call them a month or so later and tell them it was coming apart. Then they would send me a replacement for free. This way I would have 2. One to swap while I got around to cleaning and oiling the other. I would store them wrapped in a bag in the box they came in. This way I didnt have to turn it around or buy a paper filter to use while the oil and gauze filter was being serviced.

sgleshot

Reaction score
idk, to each their own, but I run a K&N on my pro truck, idk if it pull as much or more than my 7.3 does being that it spends it like at 7800 to 8k rpm, but i had to run one of their diapers on the outside of the filter so it would help to pick up stuff so it would quite clogging the air bleeds in the carb. Yes I realize, somewhat comparing apples to oranges, but what im getting at is the material they use for the filter media without a doubt does let dirt, dust, whatever through. I'm not a huge fan or K&N, but there isnt much better out there for the application and they pay contingency on occation. I also love my 6637 for my 7.3!!

neverkickn

Reaction score
I either set them on the outside AC unit to dry or just let them sit on the work bench overnight and they dry just fine. Whenever I would buy a filter from K&N I would call them a month or so later and tell them it was coming apart. Then they would send me a replacement for free. This way I would have 2. One to swap while I got around to cleaning and oiling the other. I would store them wrapped in a bag in the box they came in. This way I didnt have to turn it around or buy a paper filter to use while the oil and gauze filter was being serviced.

Yeah I guess it is ok to do that since they are a big company and all :poke:

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I pulled a K&N off a 2006 5.9 cummins 2 days ago because the guy was complaining about power.... needless to say it looked like the damn thing had been running with no filter... idk why anyone would invest in a dirt sucking oil charged filter for anything.... if i was running a race truck it would have an intake tube run as far forward as possible for a cool air charge with no filter... otherwise ill stick with my paper element filters..... they work

Dieselfever

Reaction score

Yeah I guess it is ok to do that since they are a big company and all :poke:

My thoughts also :doh: If you are so adamant about how good they are then spending the money for a second filter element should not be an issue. Rather than being deceptive to get a second for free.

-Michael

Overkill

Reaction score
My guess would be improper oiling of the filter if its allowing dust past it. Never had dust past the filter in my dirt bikes, which live in dirt and sand. They are not force inducted, however so I'm not sure that's comparing apples to apples.

Bruno2

Reaction score
My thoughts also :doh: If you are so adamant about how good they are then spending the money for a second filter element should not be an issue. Rather than being deceptive to get a second for free.

-Michael

Since you are so adamently against them then why would you even care?

Mad Max

Reaction score
in, out and all around the matrix you live in
phpLCBANLPM.jpg

derail and moved to awol in 3....2....1...

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I have a K&N filter on my truck since new. I ran the stock replacement filter and applied grease around the edges of the filter. Sent my oil to get analyzed and it came back with 0 silica reading.

Before the Tymar set came out, I looked through K&N's catalog and got myself a large cone type filter and have been running that ever since. Truck has over 202K on it.

I still send me oil to have it analyzed and it comes back with 0 silica readings.

I tried the part filter and didn't care for it.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Aljay

Reaction score
I run a baldwin 2818 and it gets replaced once a year as does the panty hose I use as a pre filter .............. :D

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
I've seen K&N's dust a turbo, A AFE Big mouth dust a turbo but never a Tymar-Donaldson.

Ask Quad, motorcycle and off road guys about K&N's..they will never use them ..haven't for years.

mortal798

Reaction score
I can tell you from experience in a dealer shop (Lincoln-Mercury) that K&N caused all kinds of problems with the MAF sensors on gas engine cars and trucks. The oil would collect on the MAF hot wire and pick up dust that wasn't being filtered out. You would take out the MAF and look at the hot wire, it would look like it was wearing a fur coat. When it has a fur coat, it is insulated from the incoming air and it under calculates fuel.

I would never put one of those on any of my vehicles.

Aljay

Reaction score
I can tell you from experience in a dealer shop (Lincoln-Mercury) that K&N caused all kinds of problems with the MAF sensors on gas engine cars and trucks. The oil would collect on the MAF hot wire and pick up dust that wasn't being filtered out. You would take out the MAF and look at the hot wire, it would look like it was wearing a fur coat. When it has a fur coat, it is insulated from the incoming air and it under calculates fuel.

I would never put one of those on any of my vehicles.

The oiled elements have accelerated oil consumption on a few 7.3s .
Two friends have experimented with oil and non-oiled K&N.

Latest posts

Members online