Engine Hours/Miles Conversion?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I found this calculation on the interwebs (miles*60 = total engine "miles") is this calculation correct or even close?

I seen that folks say there is no "real" way knowing the real "total" amount of miles on the engine from a (hours to miles conversion) as there are to many variables etc etc, a guesstimate would be fine with me.

I got a 6.4 here with 105,000 miles and 6900 engine hours any guesstimate on what the "total" miles on this engine is?

Also at what hours would a 6.4 need to be rebuilt?

Thanks in advance.

morepower02

Reaction score
That's a ton of idle time. Your average speed is around 15 mph. Miles divided by hours mine are averaging 42-45mph with the MN winters needing more warm up time I figure mine to be pretty good.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
That's a ton of idle time. Your average speed is around 15 mph. Miles divided by hours mine are averaging 42-45mph with the MN winters needing more warm up time I figure mine to be pretty good.

Yup, the truck idles a lot this island is only so big LOL.

powr2stroke

Reaction score
FWIW , I talked to a Ford engineer a few years ago and he said they figure 8 hrs of engine idle time is equivalent to 200 miles of driving .

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Ford and International both agree that the perfect average MPH is 33. So we take the engine hours and time it by 33. Which gives us 222,700.

With that being said, 105000 divided by 6900 yields an average mph of 15. Which Is horrible... It idles

My GTP had a hour meter and it's strictly a highway car since new. It's average is 43mph and doing the math is just a few hundred miles off. I run this equation @ work on trucks and I know which ones do what. One company just drives back and forth to Texas. Their average MPH is in the 40s on all their trucks and hours vs miles add up perfect

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Ford and International both agree that the perfect average MPH is 33. So we take the engine hours and time it by 33. Which gives us 222,700.

With that being said, 105000 divided by 6900 yields an average mph of 15. Which Is horrible... It idles

My GTP had a hour meter and it's strictly a highway car since new. It's average is 43mph and doing the math is just a few hundred miles off. I run this equation @ work on trucks and I know which ones do what. One company just drives back and forth to Texas. Their average MPH is in the 40s on all their trucks and hours vs miles add up perfect

FWIW , I talked to a Ford engineer a few years ago and he said they figure 8 hrs of engine idle time is equivalent to 200 miles of driving .

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Latest posts

Members online