Erratic ICP and stalling.

Reaction score
My trucks been acting strange for awhile now. A few months ago it started to buck and ICP would jump 2-300 psi at steady throttle. Thought it was an APP sensor until I monitored it and voltage never fluctuated. It has gradually gotten worse and started stalling when I engage the clutch and ICP was dropping off, I replaced my IPR because it's original and It made all of the symptoms way worse, then I threw in a new ICP sensor because that was also original and it made no difference. Now it stalls more and it doesn't ramp ICP smooth, if I lay into it slowly it will hang around 900 psi, the IPR duty cycle will ramp and try and build pressure then all of a sudden it will spike up to 2500 psi like the valve was hanging up. I was wondering if it was a low pressure oil supply issue but it starts right up after it stalls so the reservoir isn't empty. My gen3 just started leaking all of a sudden and I'm wondering if anyone has any input or has had experience with pumps cutting in and out, because in between events it drives fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaan

Reaction score
If you replaced the ipr and sensor then i would tend to lean towards a wiring issue somewhere.

Jomax

Reaction score
Try swapping the IDM with a good known one?

Reaction score
I have only checked the wiring to the ICP sensor so far, but I'll check supply voltage to the IPR and the resistance in the control circuit from the PCM to the IPR tomorrow, there's no signs of chaffing but anythings possible, I could swap my idm with a friend and see if it makes a difference.

Swaan

Reaction score
Wiggle the wiring going to the ipr and the pig tail while its running .

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
My pigtail running to my ipr got smashed and it would make the truck do weird things too. I had to cut the end of the wire and put a new on one. The truck has run good ever since

Reaction score
IPR pigtail is new but I'll pull the loom off on it to make sure, thanks. Also should I pull my oil filter and cut it open to check to see if the pleats have metal in them to make sure neither pump is smoked? Just seems weird the gen3 started leaking from the back cover on the pump all of a sudden.

TARM

Reaction score
It may sound stupid but I have had this happen to me and thankfully so have a number of others. Make sure that little stamped nut is snug on the IPR. I had very similar issues after messing with some HPOP swaps and IPR etc I looked in there is sat in the valley that damn stamped sheetmetal nut that comes with the replacement IPRs. I still had the original which has the forged nut and replaced it with that as it made me feel better. LOL

Anyways if you have not checked it make sure its snug and not loose or has fallen off as its easy to miss it if you not looking for it.

Reaction score
I'll go check that right now just to be sure, thank you. I ended up cutting my oil filter open and found no metal whatsoever so I removed the leaking gen3 and sent it out to have it tested and repaired and am hoping that was the cause. In the meantime I'm going to verify that there's no chaffing or corrosion of any sort in the harness. Other than that I may try to service part fail the IPR at work, maybe I got a bad one out of the box.

TARM

Reaction score
Well that is a relief. Its one part of the design of these engines that sucks share engine oil. If you have a HPOP blow it can send metal into the whole oil system not to mention injectors.

I have WOP's truck set of dual Terminators dual hpops thats part of my current 7.3. Should have just bought the whole engine looking back. My only concern is the single IPR they run but its hard to argue with the results Zane got. I am running one of Rifs HPOP spacers so I will be dumping the return down the front cover port and running up an additional feed source as a line from the block. Rather have that hot foaming oil from the IPR not going right back into the injectors. Nice to have the extra volume in the Res as well. Wish it could be even more but that would take a remote res and some modding. Current planned setup not worth it.

They do look cool as Zane fully polished them.

Worst case I beg someone for a remote IPR block.

TARM

Reaction score
Changes in oil?

If it was craptella I would say yes especially if its got a couple K miles on it.

Also being a gen3 it is definitely beating the oil up good. I saw a big dif going from a single HPOP to duals.

TARM

Reaction score
Schaeffers oil and only had about 500 miles on it!

IMO there is no better oil at least on the open market. I run all shaeffers products. Oil grease trans, flue additive in all my vehicles gas and diesel alike.

Reaction score
I found a guy who has a small little village store about 25 minutes from my house and he deals Schaeffers out of the back lol. I've been very happy with all of the products so far but I'm thinking of giving LE a try because of all of the good word on here.

Latest posts

Members online