Exhaust brake ?

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Does anybody have one installed? What kind? How effective is it? Is it loud like a Jake brake in a big rig? Just kinda interested in finding one for my 6.0 if there worth it.

-Jake-

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I do not have one on my personal truck. But they are pretty effective if you do alot of towing or if you just want to save some brake life. Pacbrake makes a good one. They arent to awful loud but do make a distinctive sound. Especially when used on a VGT turbo'ed truck. Even worse with straight pipe exhaust. The sound though is nothign like a Jake Brake on a big truck. Which is to be expected since a jake brake works off the exhaust valves and the exhaust brake is after the turbo like a butterfly valve.

slowstroke

Reaction score
I have had several exhaust brakes on different trucks.. It's loud but it sounds more like a wooshing noise then a jake brake on a big rig.

The lower the gears you got the more effective it is. Right now I have one on my 250 with 4.10s & it will slow my truck down to 30 mph without touching the brakes. I use it everyday.

I would highly recommend Pac Brake I have had them on my trucks for 5+ years without one problem

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Yep heard nothing but good from Pac Brake users.

Plus they have made the first(that ive seen) legit "jake brake" setup for 6.7 Cummins. Have yet to hear one or see one in action but its pretty cool.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score

Plus they have made the first(that ive seen) legit "jake brake" setup for 6.7 Cummins. Have yet to hear one or see one in action but its pretty cool.

This is the only reason I am thinking about getting a Dodge for (and its the only truck you can still get with a factory manual trans, I think) Not that I would need a Jake on a pickup

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
This is the only reason I am thinking about getting a Dodge for (and its the only truck you can still get with a factory manual trans, I think) Not that I would need a Jake on a pickup

Yeah you can get the G56 6 speed manual with the current 6.7's. None in teh GM's of Fords. Unfortuately. I think a revised and redone version of the ZF6 would be a great option for 6.7 Powerstroke buyers.

El chupacabra

Reaction score

Wonder why they never made one before. Or if an aftermarket one would be even possible to make. I loved my Jake brake on my C-15 I barely even had to use my brakes. I haul around a 20' construction trailer often Plus my regular cab 250 with my construction cap and tools without anything else in the bed (such as materials or ladders on my roof) tips the scale at 8900 lbs. I have no idea what the trailer weighs but it is loaded to the gills all the time and it pushes the hell out of me down the hills. Thought a real deal 3-speed Jake brake would be cool.

-Jake-

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Sub'd for the info...I'd really like to have one as well. My buddies father in law has a bd on their f350 and it works very well. Personally I'll probably go with a pacbrake because I've heard more good things about them.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Wonder why they never made one before. Or if an aftermarket one would be even possible to make. I loved my Jake brake on my C-15 I barely even had to use my brakes. I haul around a 20' construction trailer often Plus my regular cab 250 with my construction cap and tools without anything else in the bed (such as materials or ladders on my roof) tips the scale at 8900 lbs. I have no idea what the trailer weighs but it is loaded to the gills all the time and it pushes the hell out of me down the hills. Thought a real deal 3-speed Jake brake would be cool.

-Jake-

Theres never been a Jake brake for a v8.... To complicated

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Theres not enough room for a "jake brake" system anyway on a HEUI truck. Specially a 6.0 with the oil rails right there on top under the valve cover. Get teh Pac Brake exhaust brake and you'll be happy.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Theres not enough room for a "jake brake" system anyway on a HEUI truck. Specially a 6.0 with the oil rails right there on top under the valve cover. Get the Pac Brake exhaust brake and you'll be happy.

Oh ya I was just sayin its a sweet concept. But I am saving up for a Pac Brake myself by far the best people to work with and have been around for quite a while. A smart purchase if you tow or cruise often

Latest posts

Members online