Exhaust drone

StockCar#10

Reaction score
Hey guys was wondering for those that are getting old like me and want a quieter ride in the cab, what muffler are you running? My ccsb has a 4 in exhaust and When I'm towing my trailer you can't hear anything when the passenger side windows are rolled down. That's partly to do with the design of the front of the trailer it acts like a sail an echos the exhaust noise, non the less I have to quiet it down . with that said I've been looking into hush power mufflers and mbrp quiet muffler.

Anyone running them? If so how much of a difference did it make??

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I'm running a MBRP 31" L body muffler on my 5" that's a louvered design. It quiet the truck way down which is what I was wanting. Ridden in multiple trucks with a flow pro perforated muffler and it makes a significant difference vs straight piped. Never been around a hush power, but any choice wouldn't be bad. I have all he major brands available and if interested shoot me a PM. :thumbsup: 31" total length muffler should go in right be fore the exhaust goes over the axle on most exhausts.

RSK

Reaction score
the factory twins are the best muffler money can buy. but if you want more then that mbrp makes a nice sounding muffler that quiets things down.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
You still hear a little bit of the hair dryer effect if your standing out by the tail pipe but you won't hear it in cab. Makes for a really quite ride with the stock chargers.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i ran a afe muffler when i had my stack in my 7.3.

night and day difference in drone.

when you get a perforated muffler, it can go in both ways.

if you put it in with the smooth side to the front, it will appear there is a muffler on, but will do nothing. wanting loud, but needing a muffler for local emissions would be the reason for it this way.

if you install it so that the exhaust catches those nubs, think cheese grater grating cheese, it will quiet it down dramatically. you will still gain.....some volume over stock, but not much, but, at least on my old truck, it will kill all the drone i had.

capt dong

Reaction score
my turbo back isnt loud at all. very little drone. it has a flo pro muffler. the cai made more noise than exhaust but its a nice little rumble.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
a packed style muffler will kill the hairdryer

I wonder if it's your wastegate that's causing the drone? I've never heard of anybody complain about drone from a 6.4

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
They get a decent drone when pulling 5th wheel campers an such that kinda reflect the sound back toward cab..... Mine never were bad enough to bother me though... You can get a good straight flow muffler from either vendors here or go to a Napa or oriellys, shouldn't take much to kill the drone or at least help it considerably...

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I have a 4" AFE muffler laying around if you want. Pm if intrested.

Sent from my iPhone
-Jerry Bruley-

footlong70

Reaction score
I've been running a 4" hushpower muffler since day one of deletes. I don't have a before and after comparison but its definitely close to stock for noise. Some jet engine effect, but really tolerable. And that's with two 6 inch stacks behind the cab. Little to no drone at all. I recommend it.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
This is how I solved that problem.
It's just your standard 5" straight thru semi muffler. They had them on sale at the Mack dealer for $30 so I said why not.
120714_121225.jpg

120714_121253.jpg

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Plus now if an Officer asks I can play stupid and claim that I thought the muffler was the DPF.

Latest posts

Members online