fan shroud

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
Both tabs at the bottom of my fan shroud are broken off causing it to flop around at highway speed. I'm sure its just a matter of time before the top cracks where the bolt holes are; what is the general thought on removing the fan shroud entirely? Is it really neccessary?

I've converted to the 6.0 fan with the SD pulley (slightly smaller diameter) so I know its pulling more air than the stock setup. My thoughts are that the extra airflow will compensate for the lack of a shroud.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Technically, yes, the shroud should be there. It's there for a reason from the factory.
But....
I ran my truck for years without a fan or shroud. Through fairly hot summers, and it never got hot enough to be an issue. I know a lot of local guys that got rid of the fan and shrouds and they tow campers in the summer and everything and never have an issue.
I now have the shroud back on with a 6.0 blade, just for piece of mind so I can run A/C in the summer.

If you are in a really hot area and use A/C, then you'll want a fan for that.
Otherwise, you can certainly pull the broken shroud, if not permanently then just while you look for an inexpensive replacement.

Bugman

Reaction score
He is in Arizona so I would say that he is going to need the shroud to keep air moving across the radiator. Or he can alway do the wait and see. If it runs fine and keeps cool this coming summer then he will be fine.

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies Gents; I think you guys have convinced me of the importance of the fan shroud. Down here in Yuma it hits 120* regularly in the summer, and actually the coolant gauge never hits the 'cold' mark even at first startup in the morning. I am going to take a good look this evening and see if I can use a ratcheting tie down strap along the bottom to get me by for a few.

I also took a look at the NAPA website and found fan shroud BK 8552717. Anyone ever seen this shroud? Is it 'universal fit' or will it work on the OBS trucks?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.