Fender Flares

BIGISLAND7.3

Reaction score
looking for some flares,Hawaii laws has gotten a lot stricter,need to put these things on my truck or it's gonna cost me 80 bucks a tire if i get pulled over..my tires only stick out an inch and a half outside my fender.this sucks!!!:cursing: running only 33's.looking for 1 1/2" flares nothing too huge.send pics links or any info you guys got....much thanks

hisege

Reaction score
Auryte! I'm not the only one to feel the pain of the new safety check BS! My 315s stick out about an inch, barely noticeable. Passed my Ex with lawn edging from HD, then bought Xenon flares. Might be just me, but they suck! The guys that painted and installed said that the flares were crooked when they first pulled um out of the box, and that they had to let um heat up in the sun so they could make um somewhat fit. The Xenon flares are soft compared to Bushwackers, btw. I got the Ex back and noticed that the double sided tape was starting to pull away from the body. I know that they prepped the surface properly, so I guess the quality of the tape is questionable. I redid the front flares with 3m acrylic tape and adhesion promoter, seems to be adhering so far.

Part of the adhesion problem comes from the fact that the flares have a ¼" lip on the mounting surface - why it's not completely flat baffles me. Not wanting to sand it down, I crossed my fingers that the 3m acrylic tape would work better - in hind sight, I shoulda looked at the flares before giving um to the painter and had the mounting surface sanded flush and level. If they pull away again, I will sand the mounting surface level and try again. Otherwise, I'm getting Bushwhackers!

So to the OP, i wouldn't recommend Xenon flares because of quality and fitment issues!

On a side note, I gotta giggle everytime I pass a truck with lawn edging for flares - HD and Lowes must be selling a ton! 😁

hisege

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the flare pulling away from the fender. I'll post pics of the flares later.

Attachments

• 20140411_105833.jpg
    20140411_105833.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 89

02BigD

Reaction score
If the OP goes to the thread that was linked a couple replies back, you'll see I picture of my Bushwacker flares. I've had them on for 7 years, with no problems at all. Pulled them off last year doing some freshening up, and I wanted to reseal the paint under them with rust preventative. There were absolutely no marks on the trucks paint from where the flares met the paint with that piece of rubber that is supplied with the flares. Now underneath the flares are for chit, but there was already issues 7 years ago starting...that's part of the reason I originally installed them.

Show us the truck.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
looking for some flares,Hawaii laws has gotten a lot stricter,need to put these things on my truck or it's gonna cost me 80 bucks a tire if i get pulled over..my tires only stick out an inch and a half outside my fender.this sucks!!!:cursing: running only 33's.looking for 1 1/2" flares nothing too huge.send pics links or any info you guys got....much thanks

Auryte! I'm not the only one to feel the pain of the new safety check BS! My 315s stick out about an inch, barely noticeable. Passed my Ex with lawn edging from HD, then bought Xenon flares. Might be just me, but they suck! The guys that painted and installed said that the flares were crooked when they first pulled um out of the box, and that they had to let um heat up in the sun so they could make um somewhat fit. The Xenon flares are soft compared to Bushwackers, btw. I got the Ex back and noticed that the double sided tape was starting to pull away from the body. I know that they prepped the surface properly, so I guess the quality of the tape is questionable. I redid the front flares with 3m acrylic tape and adhesion promoter, seems to be adhering so far.

Part of the adhesion problem comes from the fact that the flares have a ¼" lip on the mounting surface - why it's not completely flat baffles me. Not wanting to sand it down, I crossed my fingers that the 3m acrylic tape would work better - in hind sight, I shoulda looked at the flares before giving um to the painter and had the mounting surface sanded flush and level. If they pull away again, I will sand the mounting surface level and try again. Otherwise, I'm getting Bushwhackers!

So to the OP, i wouldn't recommend Xenon flares because of quality and fitment issues!

On a side note, I gotta giggle everytime I pass a truck with lawn edging for flares - HD and Lowes must be selling a ton! 😁

Hawaii probs LOL you guys get recon?

hisege

Reaction score
Oahu has recon, none on the outer islands. No part of the tire, sidewall bulge included, can stick out past the fender. Ridiculous :morons: ... And they won't pass a vehicle that has a check engine light on - hmmmm, when did we start emissions testing here??? Well dammit, they better issue Madame Pele some citations cuz she's putting out some serious pollution here on da Big Island!!! :badidea::rolleyes::cursing:

dsberman94

Reaction score
The bushwacker oe style as well as the pocket flares should cover the tires for you. The other thread is actually mine. I'll be going with the oe style shortly. I don't like the pocket style at all.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Forgot to add that there are good deals on all of the types of flares on eBay and riffraff diesel also sells the flares. Depends on which you prefer. Both prices are pretty close.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Oahu has recon, none on the outer islands. No part of the tire, sidewall bulge included, can stick out past the fender. Ridiculous :morons: ... And they won't pass a vehicle that has a check engine light on - hmmmm, when did we start emissions testing here??? Well dammit, they better issue Madame Pele some citations cuz she's putting out some serious pollution here on da Big Island!!! :badidea::rolleyes::cursing:

Yeah I know I live on Oahu LOL. But I get the hookups LOL

BIGISLAND7.3

Reaction score
Nice to see some island braddahs chiming in.this whole safety check crap sucks.found a shop in Kona that only wanted me to put on some moulde plastic flaps and gave me the all good.and you know those came off as soon as i got home.aloha

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Nice to see some island braddahs chiming in.this whole safety check crap sucks.found a shop in Kona that only wanted me to put on some moulde plastic flaps and gave me the all good.and you know those came off as soon as i got home.aloha

Yup lucky you guys no more recon LOL so stupid how's your 7.3 doing?

Latest posts

Members online