Ficm toast, now injectors getting funky

UnrepentantSinner

Reaction score
Took my 06 F350 in to the mechanic because it was running rough, no power, shakey. Was throwing a code for ficm, they replaced that. No.5 injector threw a code, replaced that, now No.1 injector periodically throws code, with periods of running normal and at times it just turns itself off while idling.

Any thoughts on what the heck is going on?

It does have an edge juice with attitude, but all connections are tight on it.

01PSD

Reaction score
A bad FICM I've heard can slowly but surely kill injectors. How many miles are on the original injectors?

UnrepentantSinner

Reaction score
It had 2 bad on the left bank and 1 on the right about 30,000 miles ago, so had dealer replace all of them with factory units.

Zmann

Reaction score
I don't agree

I had 2 go and was willing to pay out of pocket for the rest

the dealer told Me not to waste My coin and did the 2 under warranty

that was 50,000 miles ago

01PSD

Reaction score
Well of course every situation will be different, like my bro had the opposite happen. They replaced one, then another went out less than a year later, then another after that.

UnrepentantSinner

Reaction score
So do you think the ficm screwed them all up? Or is it some other issue? Why would it just turn off while idling?

Mechanic is racking up the billable hours and nothing yet..

Zmann

Reaction score
if it were mine I would pull the tuner until this is resolved

and after I had my injector issue I have always periodically run some type of stiction improver like HSS/Rev-Z or Archoil

but I don't see one injector shutting down the truck be nice if He could data log when this happened

Mdub707

Reaction score
They replaced it with what, a reman FICM or where did this other FICM come from? Do we know if this other FICM is ok? What shape are the batteries in? I would never do any FICM testing or repair work until having both batteries load tested myself.

UnrepentantSinner

Reaction score
Batteries are Interstate, less than 6mo old, load test good. FICM is new from Ford dealer. Will pull tuner and see what happens.

Reaction score
they need to check connectors and make sure no pins are puched in or harness isnt damaged anywhere. ive seen harness look good from the outside..when you take the cover off...they wre saturated in oil.

UnrepentantSinner

Reaction score
Fuel pressure is good, new filters. Pulled tuner connections apart and the are green and corroded. Cleaned them up and put back together, still throwing codes all over the place. Unhooked Edge, everything's normal.

Is the Edge complete junk now? Wiring harness for Edge junk? I like having the gauges and tune on the fly....

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
I've heard changing tuning on the fly is not the best! As well as SCT is the best platform to use for 6.0L. Just restating what I was told... Maybe someone else will/can correct me.

Mdub707

Reaction score
On the fly changing tunes for a 6.0 is about the worst thing you can do for it. Get rid of that junk.

The 5R110 is completely incapable of taking adjustments on the fly, so you bump the power up and the trans is still stuck in stock mode. It will take the trans out in a quick fashion if you drive aggressively at all.

Not to mention a custom tune will make more power, burn cleaner and be safer.

Karls03 is around here somewhere, he'd love to tell you all about it. He told me he dislikes Edge so much now he wont use Edge razors LOL.

jdc753

Reaction score
just a side note on all injectors vs some.

I had 6 injectors replaced under warrenty at 92k to fix bad cold starts and low power till warm, aka stiction. Truck just crossed 175k the other day with no injector issues since, so 2 original injectors and 6 "new" ones.

Obviously we all get different experiences and the 6.0 is far from consistant.

With those results I personally would ditch the edge and never look back. You can get an insight, or just use that edge box for gauges, but I would do your tuning with SCT. Tune it once and be done with it, shift on the fly sounds like a cool gimick, but for me I don't see a reason I would want or need it. I have about 100k running a single innovative diesel SCT tune and that includes casual daily driving in traffic, racing at the track, towing cars and tractors around, driving on snow/ice, pretty much everything. Only thing to change power levels is my right foot, its nice having the power on command without having to push a button or something.

UnrepentantSinner

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Ok so edge is out. How do you hook it up for gauges only? What is the best SCT tuner that I should be looking at...the threads on this are endless.. Looking for mileage tune and a heavy towing tune I need one that will kill egr cel and do my auto tranny some good.

Latest posts

Members online