FICM

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
What's the longest you have seen a FICM last? I want to get mine tuned but worried mine may fail sometime soon....truck just rolled 200k miles on Original FICM. Anyone?

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
i have one in my truck out of an 05 that has 4500 hours on it. they last a long time without an inductive heating flash. batterys are also very important.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Ya I have dual optima red tops and a TAD 185 amp alt. Ok cause I want to tune it but worried that it will crater and I have to pay for another tune for it.

Dave

Reaction score
As long as you keep good batteries in the truck they last a very long time

Mdub707

Reaction score
Tuning or not, if it breaks at some point, you can still get it repaired. I wouldn't worry about it.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Ya I have dual optima red tops and a TAD 185 amp alt. Ok cause I want to tune it but worried that it will crater and I have to pay for another tune for it.

sounds like your charging system is good. its a good idea to test the batteries once or twice a year.

if youre worried about it i would have your FICM voltage checked to see how its doing. the original inductive heating calibration ford came out with is mostly to blame for killing them. if your engine strategy starts with VXCF5 i would be alittle more concerned.

at the worst you could buy a ficm half kit or have yours repaired.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Well I har been monitoring my voltage through my CTS and have seen anything less than 47 at WOT.... I don't know how accurate it is though.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The best way to test it is with a multi-meter, and test it stone cold. Let the truck sit overnight and go test it. You could also have the FICM preventatively repaired as well.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
i take it his edge reads ficm voltage, if so the theres going to be no difference using a multi meter. when you turn the key on after a cold soak (overnight) pay close attention to the ficm voltage as the injectors cycle, let them cycle until they stop then start the truck. continue montioring the next few minutes.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
I've compared my cts to ae and they are somewhat close. The cts isn't nearly as responsive and you will miss some fluctuations.

Mdub707

Reaction score
CTS will only read down to 40V wont it? Does AE read lower than 40V? Almost anything that plugs into the OBD port wont read any lower than that.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the under 40v. Just saying that the cts is not very responsive and only reads in .5v increments.

Last edited:

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
a ford diagnostic tool will read well below 40 volts. not that it matters at that point anyway, the specifications for ficm voltage are pretty definitive.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
I believe it doesn't read below 40v but my CTS has never jumped below 47.5 on cold start..... And never drop below 47 at WOT

Mdub707

Reaction score
I don't disagree fellas, I just like seeing a physical number instead of 40V and wondering where it really is. I also don't like using any of the OBD plug in gauges/pods either, which is why I use stand-alone stuff. Just preference.

U235a4

Reaction score
I just wanted to add to this my edge insight cts has shown FICm volts as low as 25v when my old PS was going bad. I'll have to check the range on AE my version is 10.1.

Latest posts

Members online