ficm

driller41

Reaction score
hey guys, so i bought my 05 6.0 last spring and i thought from day one i had stiction, went through the whole oil additive deal. the cold starts got significantly better, yet the weather also got significantly warmer. i thought problem figured out, and would work my way into a new set of injectors.

then fall set in, the temps drop, and the cold start issues are back.

it always starts, just acts like its down a couple cylinder and smooths out as it warms up.

the reason why i havent mentioned anything about the ficm yet is because when we got the pickup we tested the ficm and it read great all the way across the board..( in retrospect i think we might have test on a semi warm motor)

so as the weather is getting colder we decided to test the ficm another time on a completely cold motor (hadnt ran all week)

well turn the key on.. injectors try but hardly cycle... 21 volts :doh:

cranking.. 46v

running...climbed up to 48v

stiction wouldnt cause low power out put i wouldnt figure.. has to be on the ficm end of things right?

also i think the flash on the ficm hasnt been updated in quite a while.. still has the syncronized injector cycle.

sound like ficm to you guys?

also whats the preferred replacement, and whats all this big deal with PHP reprogramming the ficm and ecm to the strategy of a 2003 pickup.

is it worth it to have this done (assuming ficm needs and is repaired) then have it tuned?

or just have it tuned or run the most recent ford flash?

thanks for any input fellas! :D

florida 6.0

Reaction score
You can send the ficm in for repair and have it flashed with a new tune . Search for the PHP ficm thread and it will answer all the questions about reprogramming and which tune to get . I have the 4 tunes loaded into a programmer and run the atlas 80 as my daily and I love it . No cold start issues , better mileage and throttle response like a gasser .

Irontx

Reaction score
Ficm is done. Couldnt tell ya about PHP programming as i dont have it. Would probably go that route if i had to repair mine though. Seems to be a great product they put out.

driller41

Reaction score
yeah i was reading on PHP website.. i understad the tunes and not and am heavily considering them yet they say that they wont affect newer model years as much due to the strategies... if i understand correctly.. also read they could set up the ficm and em like an 03 so you would see those gains? heck i dunno if its worth goin in that deep... it was just something i thought id ask about because if it was really worth it id hate to send the ficm in to have to send it back to have it re programmed and flashed...

i wasnt following their website too well and i read through the faqs and stuff...

so it must be the inductive heating circuit thats toast on this ficm from my best educated guess?

we cell tested the batteries, but havent load tested em.. i still dont see how that would affect one thing..

also it was showing good voltage when it first started despite it sounding and rattling like a box of rocks.. so do we have compound problem here or just lack of induction heating and a crappy flash?

thanks for the feed back guys! much appreciated

driller41

Reaction score
anyone have expirience with the bullet proof power side ficm? or would sending it off to ficm repair or swamps be a better bet?

chime on in!

weazel

Reaction score
anyone have expirience with the bullet proof power side ficm? or would sending it off to ficm repair or swamps be a better bet?

chime on in!

I sent mine off to FICM repair.com. Honestly I am very pleased. They customer service was awesome, rebuilt it and had and Atlas 80 tune put on and that was a little over 18 months ago. Very happy with it

Sent from my fortress of awesome

driller41

Reaction score
thanks weazel.. whats up with their basic service/ warranty to sooper dooper service/warranty deal on their site for pricing?

my guess is they just dont go as in depth for the cheaper set up?

Mixedbreed

Reaction score

chime on in!

I just went through this a few weeks ago. Did the half shell. I went BPD as there fairly local and I was in a pinch. But I am very happy with the product I received.

Highly modified and over built, adjustable voltage and pretty too!!!

I wish they did tuning though. Really want the economy or atlas 40 tune.

weazel

Reaction score
thanks weazel.. whats up with their basic service/ warranty to sooper dooper service/warranty deal on their site for pricing?

my guess is they just dont go as in depth for the cheaper set up?

Don't know, I did the cheapo route, with the 45 day warranty

Sent from my fortress of awesome

bigjj

Reaction score
I just ordered a new power side from Bullet proof should be able to install Friday and will give feedback. I have seen a lot of good reviews on their product. I hope it lives up to the price.

Dave

Reaction score
I just ordered a new power side from Bullet proof should be able to install Friday and will give feedback. I have seen a lot of good reviews on their product. I hope it lives up to the price.

Ive had one for over a year. Never drops voltage below 47.5 Love it.

driller41

Reaction score
I just went through this a few weeks ago. Did the half shell. I went BPD as there fairly local and I was in a pinch. But I am very happy with the product I received.

Highly modified and over built, adjustable voltage and pretty too!!!

I wish they did tuning though. Really want the economy or atlas 40 tune.

you can send it off to someone and have it tuned... what you replaced has nothing to do with the programming from what ive understood :D

and thanks for the feed back!

Last edited:

driller41

Reaction score
Dave.. can you enlighten me on what the ecm reprogramming is? i think i seent it in your sig

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
you can send it off to someone and have it tuned... what you replaced has nothing to do with the programming from what ive understood :D

and thanks for the feed back!

Yeah I know I just can't be without the truck right now. But soon I will get it done.

Latest posts

Members online