Figuring out injector problem....

mohead1

Reaction score
Ok, one of my three Ford Oil Burners is an OBS 97 F250HD, had it since new, maintained it way more than typical. Kept oil clean (Amsoil 15-40 since first change) and filters changed. Has 264k on it, Dp chip, CAI, big exhaust. It has suddenly started stumbling like an injector aint goin. HPOP new bout 3 yrs ago, new IPS and at least one CPS over the years. Original IPR and IDM. I pulled IDM and tested harnesses (ohms) both sides, all in spec. Low end supposed to be 2.8, most of the injectors showed 3.4 or so. So wires good, put IDM back in...started it up, all injectors exhausting oil, some more than others, valve train lookin good. Figure IDM good.
So now wat, pull IPR and clean/reseal, rebuild injectors....new sensors and crap.....frustrated....my old Red is my DD when not on the road...

brewer

Reaction score
If it were IPR you would most likely have starting issues. Is that the case?

You need a scanner to check for codes and do a buzz test to make sure the IDM is working and all injector solenoids are OK before assuming anything mechanical. And you may not get an IDM code until after the buzz test.
Also - are your batteries/alternator healthy? Low voltage causes the IDM to act strange.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
At 264k, if the injectors are original, odds are good that the problem has to do with at least on of them. If it is a definite miss, pull the VC's off and disconnect injectors one by one to see if the miss gets worse or stays the same. If the miss stays the same when disconnecting an injector, you have found your culprit. This test will only work if you are having the miss at idle though.

Arisley

Reaction score
I agree with Justin. At that mileage, my first guess would be the mechanical parts, the injectors. That's a lot of miles on the originals. Don't cheap out and just replace the bad one, get a new set. Good time to make a little adjustment in size also. You can step up a little and keep the same tunes, however, a tuning adjustment on your DP chip won't be much.

uncool

Reaction score
Just went through the same thing with my recent 99 truck. 255K on the stock injectors, nozzles were pretty bad and the were just tired. Had them modded to your basic stg 1's with new stock nozzles and a chip. Now the 255K tranny hates me.

I suggest pulling them and sending them to your injector builder of choice. You will be happy and so will your truck.

I have been using Full Force for years, but any of them will fix you up.

mohead1

Reaction score
Thanks folks, i ran the truck w covers off and the injectors are throwin (exhausting) oil, so im thinkin IDM good, starts ok, i guess injectors are just tired. Well there goes another thousand....damn. Just finished full d.e.l.e.t.e, all power goodies, programmer and such on the 08 F450, and that crap wasnt cheap....here we go again.....Rosewood, get ready for rebuildin me! I will get Terminator to redo HPOP while its apart, and replace injector cups too while im down....

Latest posts

Members online