Finally studdin my 7.3

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
I'm about to stud my 7.3, along with push rods and valve springs. That is after I pull the plug and check for forged rods. And just curious if it's worth pulling the motor for this or just doing it in the truck?

Kinda getting ready to try throwing dual pumps and a little more aggresive tune to my 250s. Only thing holding me back is I have a motor in my shop I was planning on doing a full build on. But I need springs ASAP they don't sound happy over 3000rpms.

SDstroker

Reaction score
I would just do the hassle once unless you want to sharpen your studding skills.
Build the motor you already have out, then swap that in when your ready. Besides in cab studs suck ballz.

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
That has been my plans, but with work getting slow in the winter my build may not get finished til summer. May just install springs and call it good. Til I swap motors.

SDstroker

Reaction score
The piston is there to make sure the valve gets headed back in the right direction....no worries

neverkickn

Reaction score
Nick, if you can wait till you get ready to build that block that would be the easiest and cheapest all around way. I wouldn't even bother if the one in your truck now isn't forged.

FWIW, i did mine cab on. You have to rock the motor and cuss a little but it is possible. You have a good amount of lift though so that will make it more complicated unless you have a topside creeper.

Black 02

Reaction score
studs in cab insnt that bad...

Correctamundo!

I did it in the cab. A dry place to work, air tools, and a good floor jack are all you need.

You can use an impact gun to remove every head bolt while in the truck with the correct universals and extensions.

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
I think I'm going to hold off on the studs til I build the other motor, and only put valve springs in this motor. I just hate how hvac work gets slow in the winter or I would already have a built motor.

Gonna try doing a little side work for the other motor!!!

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I had taken my stock springs to 4k with the stock turbo and 300/200's/

5spd or just some crazy tuning?

Any dyno sheets to show the curve @ 4k rpm?
Sorry for the derail, just very interested. this guy always has some good insight.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
how do you guys go about doing studs in the cab? loosen motor mounts and jack each side up?

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
pretty easy to do it that way? Only have 238/80's right now running on stock springs and studs. Have the ARPs sitting on the the shelf currently

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Pain in the ass imo. But not terrible. I just pull the cab but if you don't have a lift no reason why you cant do it in the driveway cab on.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
neighbor has a lift but dont want to occupy it if it takes me longer to do this than i thought.

OSCS

Reaction score
depends how tall you are how big your truck is etc.. its not that bad at all. I took my time and drank alot of beer.. it took a weekend

neverkickn

Reaction score
If you have never lifted the cab before there is no way IMO that you will do it faster that way vs just rocking the motor. I had to loosen the trans mount too.

Latest posts

Members online