Fine tuning a big single and 4r100

Mpoage

Reaction score
Well as some may know my buddy bought Josh Haddox's truck. It runs damn good and it is pretty easy to drive smoke free. It's definitely a lot better than a lot of people on here make it out to be. But we're just trying to get it fined tuned so when the track opens back up in January we are ready.

The problem were having is when the converter locks under wot even with boost it will still loose boost and fall on its face. Which I know that it is a very big single but from some of the videos I have seen of King Kong launching it does not have this problem and it looks as if the converter locks very early when launching. It also has the same transmission tune. I know there's not a lot of people that have had a setup like this but from the ones who have if you can offer any input as to what we can do to make it better that would be awesome. This will also serve as an update thread on what we have been doing with the truck.
Here's some videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z90dKmxL6SA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lrrXGSkkbY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And here's the video of King Kong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-63z9r6KAg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Could be too much fuel at lockup. I've had the same problem with my truck on a heavy fuel tune. Granted mine is a 5r and this truck is a 4r, so they're not exactly the same. Wouldn't hurt running a lower pw tune to see if the charger is still getting choked out.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
looks like lock up needs to happen at the same time it makes the 2-3 shift, the lock up happened at about 3300 rpm just guessing and it snuffed, the shifts and lock up needs to happen at 3700 or better

I agree on the fuel side make sure its not coal train smoking at full boost, if it is pull just a little back

Dzchey21

Reaction score
looking again all the shifts need raised to 3700 or more, that single needs that much rpm to really work, even with a stock cam (not sure what josh put in it) the truck will make power to 4k

Jhaddox

Reaction score
looking again all the shifts need raised to 3700 or more, that single needs that much rpm to really work, even with a stock cam (not sure what josh put in it) the truck will make power to 4k

Still has a stock cam...never really tweaked it

And Matt. I think, not positive that that tune is limited at 3500 rpm...not positive

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Mpoage

Reaction score
Could be too much fuel at lockup. I've had the same problem with my truck on a heavy fuel tune. Granted mine is a 5r and this truck is a 4r, so they're not exactly the same. Wouldn't hurt running a lower pw tune to see if the charger is still getting choked out.

looks like lock up needs to happen at the same time it makes the 2-3 shift, the lock up happened at about 3300 rpm just guessing and it snuffed, the shifts and lock up needs to happen at 3700 or better

I agree on the fuel side make sure its not coal train smoking at full boost, if it is pull just a little back

When it finally hits boost it clears up pretty good. But it does seem like it has to much fuel and is choking out when the converter locks.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I don't know what it has for engine tuning, but I would cut back say .1 ms pw and try again, it also could be underdriving the turbo and needs more fuel, just depends on what you define as cleans up pretty well. It should be a decent amount of smoke but not super thick and black.

Mpoage

Reaction score
I don't know what it has for engine tuning, but I would cut back say .1 ms pw and try again, it also could be underdriving the turbo and needs more fuel, just depends on what you define as cleans up pretty well. It should be a decent amount of smoke but not super thick and black.

Its not super thick at all. It's really just a haze. But if you don't have any boost and you put it to the floor it will completely black out the road and you won't be able to see anything behind you. I believe it's a custom file from Eric based off of his extreme race tune.

extreme3807

Reaction score
Its not super thick at all. It's really just a haze. But if you don't have any boost and you put it to the floor it will completely black out the road and you won't be able to see anything behind you. I believe it's a custom file from Eric based off of his extreme race tune.

The joys of a single. Just don't pull out in front of anyone, that truck ain't going anywhere for a minute lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
needs pre boost fueling pulled back, that will actually help it spool, it may need more fuel up top tho

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Can't remember if Eric's xrace is a 2.3 or 2.2ms tune. But I do know how much it sucks when your choking the turbo out with ungodly amounts of fuel. Little tuning tweaks makes a world of a difference with the larger singles. Try a 2.0 or 2.1ms tune and see if the charger maintains consistent boost at lockup. Check the filter and filter minder as well just to be sure it's not being sucked in.

Mpoage

Reaction score
Can't remember if Eric's xrace is a 2.3 or 2.2ms tune. But I do know how much it sucks when your choking the turbo out with ungodly amounts of fuel. Little tuning tweaks makes a world of a difference with the larger singles. Try a 2.0 or 2.1ms tune and see if the charger maintains consistent boost at lockup. Check the filter and filter minder as well just to be sure it's not being sucked in.

I believe it is a 2.25 ms tune. I'll try turning it to extreme Street and see if that helps some. I'll check that as well. Me and Nick also discussed some tuning tweaks for the transmission so I might try that first.

InnovativeDiesel

Reaction score
Why don't you just get a custom tune? The pre-programmed will run, but they are designed for a bolt on truck. I built those pre-programmed custom options to "work around" the various setup's, but that was before emailed custom tunes were available. I put a ton of time in making those pre-programmed tunes....back in the day. This was long before the tuning changes were as simple as they are now in the SCT software.

Mpoage

Reaction score
Why don't you just get a custom tune? The pre-programmed will run, but they are designed for a bolt on truck. I built those pre-programmed custom options to "work around" the various setup's, but that was before emailed custom tunes were available. I put a ton of time in making those pre-programmed tunes....back in the day. This was long before the tuning changes were as simple as they are now in the SCT software.

From what I understood from josh this was a tune you had tweaked but I guess it's not.

Mpoage

Reaction score
So this tune I'm using is just a preprogrammed tune with the dual fueler and non vgt selected?

Latest posts

Members online