Finnaly pulled the heads off my pulling engine

pontiacross

Reaction score
well as many of you may know I blew a head gasket at the end of last year on my pulling truck. As much as I hated to I decided to part the truck out with plans of building a mech 7.3, 3.0 puller instead of staying with a 2.6 puller. it looks like my plans for a 3.0 truck may be delayed a couple years however, because my wife and I are in the middle of buying a house and now it looks like I may have to come up with money to buy a farm after the death of one of our landlords. but anyway enough about me

I started pulling with this engine about 6 years ago when the engine had 200k on it
I pulled for one year with a set of rosewood stage 2s a stock turbo and widman tunes

the next year I got a set of gts 238/200s and an h2e

the next year I decided to go to swamps and got a set of 350/400s and a 74mm bfh and there tuneing
I think I ran those 2 years
then we tried a set of 450/600 and a 80mm bfh
then last year we dyno tuned it and went to a set of 450/400's

the engine now has 220k on it and put down just under 800horse on the dyno
the head gaskets are the original ones I just studded it with h11's

in my opinion this engine looks remarkably well for the abuse it has had. there are a few valve imprints from running a few years with stock springs and tubes and one cylinder looks like it had something get in there and make some marks in the top of the piston, but I have not found a single crack in a piston or any other damage that would make me worried about putting it back together. kind of makes me want to see how much more it will take :evil

P1000880_zps90782e40.jpg

P1000882_zps2d256f95.jpg

P1000883_zps9ddc7b86.jpg

P1000887_zps9b021037.jpg

I can't thank swamps enough for helping me get to were we made it with this truck and I am looking forward to my next build whenever I finally get to it.

here was my last hook by the way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_a8pXnU6og

pontiacross

Reaction score
by thw way this engine was making peak power at about 4100rpm and has turned a little over 5k on the dyno but we limited it to about 4600 after getting it dialed in

TyCorr

Reaction score
800hp? Jesus. I didnt know anybody had gotten that far on fuel. Well I guess I did. Still. Crazy #s.

pontiacross

Reaction score
800hp? Jesus. I didnt know anybody had gotten that far on fuel. Well I guess I did. Still. Crazy #s.

dave may chime in, but I believe they are now up to 900 with the same basic setup only with ported heads and a different cam

co04cobra

Reaction score
That is pretty incredible. It is amazing what these old motors will take.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Pontiacross so that motor had stock bottom,head studs and springs done to it? That's it on the motor internals?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
That motor was a freak!

It was also tuned to not make the low end torque required for daily driving/racing/ ect....

Although I definitely don't know for a fact, my guess would be its essentially tuned to be gutless on the low end until it really starts screaming. These forged rods are tough, they just dont like low end.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It was also tuned to not make the low end torque required for daily driving/racing/ ect....

Although I definitely don't know for a fact, my guess would be its essentially tuned to be gutless on the low end until it really starts screaming. These forged rods are tough, they just dont like low end.

Thats a given but still to hang on in the midrange near 800 horse is impressive.

pontiacross

Reaction score

yep when we dyno tuned it I left with more hp and less torque then what we started with.
i have always said rpms and good tuneing are what made this thing live.

if you want a 800hp street truck that's fun to drive you're going to need a lot more than a stock bottom end. but if its a dedicated puller or racer you might be able to get by with out it.

pontiacross

Reaction score
Very impressive but that was at the crank not the wheels.

also true it was also without my air to water cooer and had a stock fan instead of my electric fan. those 2 things probably don't make up for the drivetrain loss but still good numbers nun the less.

Latest posts

Members online