Firestone R4Tech Review

Borcht Warrior

Reaction score
Hey everyone, fairly new to this site but I see some familiar names on the posts and a lot of good information.

Saw a similiar post in the PX but that was a lot of pictures about an install on a Chev and then a few pics about an install on a dually.

I purchased and installed a R4Tech kit for my 2006 CCSB F-250 about 3 weeks ago. The kit took me about a week to install. I should clarify that is was 4 full days and three evenings after work. As a side note, I started this project exactly 7 days before I was leaving on vacation and I needed my truck to pull the TT. Not exactly good planning on my part.

I did it in my garage and I had help from friends and neighbors over the week. I could have shaved a full two days off I did not have to deal with rusted and seized parts during disassembly.

Like other posts I have read the instructions are not good at all. Some large color pictures would have helped out alot. I must have re-read those instructions 10 times.

The bags of hardware are not bagged with any sort of purpose so you are mostly guessing and measuring bolts the whole way.

They also use a locking nut in many spots, almost like a nut with too shallow of threads that is really tough to tighten with hand tools. Air impacts and Air ratchets are a must if you want to get this done quickly.

The fitment of most of the parts is great although my kit had the front brackets mislabeled for the driver's and passenger side. (this took some additional time to figure out).

I only had two issues with fitment of the kit.

The first was the passenger side air bag is installed very close to the exhaust. My exhaust is aftermarket 4" so this is not the vendors fault but it caused some issues. The exhaust tailpipe should have been removed as it would have sped up the install on this side. Mine was welded to the muffler but I should have ground the tack off and removed it. Once everything was in, there was less than an inch of clearance between the tailpipe and the airline feeding the air bag. I used some "Cool It" products by Thermotec to protect the air bag and air line.

Second fitment issue was with the axle pads where the air bags sit on the axle. The top of the pads include a rolled over piece of plate that extends down at the front of the axle. This vertical part of the plate was hitting my sway bar and not allowing the whole assembly to sit on the axle properly. At first I thought that my sway bar had shifted and needed to be moved. I loosened it up and moved it but then it did not look right so I put it back into its original position. I ended up cutting the vertical plate off those pads so that they would sit on the axle and not touch the sway bar.

I had also never worked with push to lock fittings. These are a snap to use but I was a little leary at the start if I was doing things right.

One tip is to make sure that you leave a lot of slack for the small air lines that run to the shocks. I cut one too short and it works but you cannot lift the truck by the frame unless you have enough slack.

I also question what needs to be done when I have to put this truck on a hoist? Will the air bags hold the axle or do I need to install limiting straps?

Borcht Warrior

Reaction score
The ride...

Once I got it on the ground, everything was pressured up and leveled I took it for a spin. This was Friday morning, one week after I started and just a few hours before we needed to leave town for vacation. My wife was not very happy with me. I crossed my fingers as I left the garage and headed out onto the freeway.

The truck is a little more bouncy now but most of the harshness and sharp jolts are gone from the ride. I have Rancho RS9000XL shocks up front and I softened them back two clicks. Now the truck kind of floats over the bumps. It is quite different. If anything the shocks could be a little stiffer when no load is present.

I took it home and started loading up the truck for vacation. With a full load of gear and trailer in tow I am weighing about 18,500 lbs. The truck now sits dead level and my trailer is a little nose high at the front. I towed it that way for 2600 km round trip and it was awesome. The more weight you put on it the better it rides which was typical with it before the kit but now it handles better due to the level stance.

The kneeling feature is nice for loading and unloading my generator out of the back of my truck. It is also nice when washing the bed out.

Overall I would install another one, if I changed trucks.

me2

Reaction score
How much better does it ride towing the trailer than before ?

I built a custom 4 link suspension for my '99 F250. I pull a 13K 5er with it. GCW is about 21K.

I found that shock tuning was a huge part of making an air suspension work. Air springs have almost no internal damping, especially compared to air spring and it takes more damping to keep the truck from bouncing or even vibrating really fast after hitting a bump.

I tried several shocks on my air ride setup. The best I found were Bilstein 5100s, but they get harsh at the end of their strokes. This was back before Bilstein made the 5160s.

I just ordered a set of Bilstein 5160s, which are supposed to be rebuildable. If you can rebuild a Bilstein shock, you can also tune it. Some 5100s are rebuildable, some aren't.

The 5160s are going onto my new truck, an 08 F350. I'll be putting air suspension on it, front and rear. Right now I am thinking I'll build something like the R4 Tech system in the back.

I plan on having to tune the 5160s front and back to make my suspension work properly.

Zmann

Reaction score
very cool

now take some pics!

I constantly forget to unbolt my 2500 lb regular air assist bags before I lift my truck ,,
I have yet to rip one but it is a real possibility from what I have read ,, I see some folks not bolt 1/2 the bag down to eliminate this

Borcht Warrior

Reaction score
How much better does it ride towing the trailer than before ?

I built a custom 4 link suspension for my '99 F250. I pull a 13K 5er with it. GCW is about 21K.

I found that shock tuning was a huge part of making an air suspension work. Air springs have almost no internal damping, especially compared to air spring and it takes more damping to keep the truck from bouncing or even vibrating really fast after hitting a bump.

I tried several shocks on my air ride setup. The best I found were Bilstein 5100s, but they get harsh at the end of their strokes. This was back before Bilstein made the 5160s.

I just ordered a set of Bilstein 5160s, which are supposed to be rebuildable. If you can rebuild a Bilstein shock, you can also tune it. Some 5100s are rebuildable, some aren't.

The 5160s are going onto my new truck, an 08 F350. I'll be putting air suspension on it, front and rear. Right now I am thinking I'll build something like the R4 Tech system in the back.

I plan on having to tune the 5160s front and back to make my suspension work properly.
It is still bouncy but better in the loaded state. I had Rancho RS9000xl's on the back as well but I could not be bothered to constantly crawl under the truck everytime I went from loaded with the trailer to empty truck. The front shocks are easy to adjust but the back was a pain.

I would like to research the cab adjustable option you can get with the 9000 series shocks then they might go back on.

The R4Tech shocks supplied with the kit are completely empty, you can move the shock rod in and out easily. They are probably better than nothing installed but do not seem very sophisticated.

Borcht Warrior

Reaction score
very cool

now take some pics!

I constantly forget to unbolt my 2500 lb regular air assist bags before I lift my truck ,,
I have yet to rip one but it is a real possibility from what I have read ,, I see some folks not bolt 1/2 the bag down to eliminate this
I guess I will have to unbolt the bags every time or look for limit straps at the local off-road shop.

Pictures will be coming soon, anything in particular you would like to see.

me2

Reaction score
It is still bouncy but better in the loaded state. I had Rancho RS9000xl's on the back as well but I could not be bothered to constantly crawl under the truck everytime I went from loaded with the trailer to empty truck. The front shocks are easy to adjust but the back was a pain.

I would like to research the cab adjustable option you can get with the 9000 series shocks then they might go back on.

Air suspension is very hard on shocks because they are doing a lot of work. Leaf springs have build in damping, air springs do not.

I ran a set of Rancho RS9000s on my truck with the air ride installed and the adjusters started leaking. One of my shocks lost half its oil.

The adjusters only change the damping in one direction. I think its rebound, but I forget.

The R4Tech shocks supplied with the kit are completely empty, you can move the shock rod in and out easily. They are probably better than nothing installed but do not seem very sophisticated.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. I thought the variable load shocks were the key to making it all work. At one point I was going to buy them for my next air suspension.

How is the axle wrap under load ?

My 5160s just arrived.

Zmann

Reaction score
usually if your lifting by the frame your looking for suspension travel

otherwise you lift from the axle and get the same result as a strapped axle

Borcht Warrior

Reaction score
usually if your lifting by the frame your looking for suspension travel

otherwise you lift from the axle and get the same result as a strapped axle
True but usually it is for a specific task like exhaust or something. But for tire rotations and things like that I would like to not have to unhook everything. I will look into it further.

me2

Reaction score
Before I put limit straps on mine, I was breaking shock mounts on over extension.

It would happen when pulling the 5er if you went over a "whoop" in the road. Not enough damping, the suspension would compress and then top out on the way back and break the shock bolt. It wasn't a strong design. I put on limit straps and no more problems.

One thing I bet the R4 Tech system would benefit from is moving the shocks outboard like on the F150s. That would give them better control of the bags.

Borcht Warrior

Reaction score
Before I put limit straps on mine, I was breaking shock mounts on over extension.

It would happen when pulling the 5er if you went over a "whoop" in the road. Not enough damping, the suspension would compress and then top out on the way back and break the shock bolt. It wasn't a strong design. I put on limit straps and no more problems.

One thing I bet the R4 Tech system would benefit from is moving the shocks outboard like on the F150s. That would give them better control of the bags.
Can you send me a picture on how you mounted your limit straps?

me2

Reaction score
DSC_8091.jpg

I used some inexpensive tire hold down straps. The eyes are a triangle, not a bolt hole like the real suspension straps.

I just bolted them in with a big washer, to try them. They worked well, so I left them that way. No issues.

The air bag is a bit over inflated in this picture. The strap usually has more free length than what is shown here.

me2

Reaction score
I got the 5160s installed on the back of my 08. It has leaf spring suspension.

I'll report back how they work in a few weeks. PM me if you need an update before then.

Borcht Warrior

Reaction score
Hey Me2

What type of truck is that on? Looks like this was an actual bag only suspension system. I am thinking that I will run it for now with no limit straps and see how it goes.

Sent an email to Firestone:

I purchased a R4Tech kit from Fort Garry Industries here in Calgary. I installed the kit myself and so far it works well. One question I have is in regard with servicing the vehicle. I am concerned with lifting the vehicle with a hoist. the axles droop so much that I am afraid that I will damage the height control valves and air bags. Has this been considered? What is the proper procedure? Do I need to disconnect the valves and bags before lifting?

Got an email from Firestone:

Yes the height control valves and air springs have been engineered to be use with a frame hoist. I have had my personal truck on a lift many times with no issues. I would engage the kneel to exhaust the air, but other than that, you will be OK.

Latest posts

Members online