Flex plate

02BigD

Reaction score
Have an intermittent sound of cracking metal coming from my inspection plate area. Makes the noise while engine on, doesn't have to have the truck in motion. Checked torque convertor bolts, all were tight, no cracks on the flex plate that I could see. PI convertor, stock flex plate that was cryo'd with about 23,000 miles on it.

My thoughts are flex plate hating life. If that is the case, are their other options out there? Transmission has been shifting normally, and temps have all been in the norm since the noise started.

02BigD

Reaction score
Symptoms sound like flex plate to you? Ill buzz you later regarding that billet plate. Thanks buddy.

MINK

Reaction score
sound just at idle or when not giving any throttle? Ive cracked two stockers. I'm with Jason, get the billet and be done.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I'm not an auto expert - but sometimes converters sound like marbles in a coffee can at idle when they die. I assume that your "crackling" noise is different?

Arisley

Reaction score
Cracks in the flexplate are almost impossible to see with the trans installed. Most of them crack around the crankshaft bolts.

02BigD

Reaction score
I'm not an auto expert - but sometimes converters sound like marbles in a coffee can at idle when they die. I assume that your "crackling" noise is different?

Yes, It's a sharp quick sound, not like a rock tumbler. Ice cracking maybe a good analogy. I had a long list of maybes, until it finally made the noise while sitting still. That narrowed it down to turbo wheel(wheels), converter, or flex plate in my mind.

Cracks in the flexplate are almost impossible to see with the trans installed. Most of them crack around the crankshaft bolts.

Had to at least check the convertor bolts. I was hoping for an easy solution. :(

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
A shot in the dark, but trans bellhousing bolts loose ?

Perhaps you starter is partially engaged and grinding ?

Just throwing ideas. Im not sure how a crack in a flat plate would make a noise like that. Wouldnt it have to be moving on the crack or flexing back and forth ? :shrug:

907DAVE

Reaction score
MY bet is the flexplate is done, but take a peek at the starter drive...make sure it isn't wandering near the ring gear.

02BigD

Reaction score
MY bet is the flexplate is done, but take a peek at the starter drive...make sure it isn't wandering near the ring gear.

Starter seems fine. Removed the inspection cover and saw no movement from the shaft while motor was running.

Dom, I have a flex plate in the shop you can have if yours is toast.

Thanks Steve, really appreciate it. I'm gonna throw the truck in my shop and resolve some items that have been on the list, along with the flex plate. Gives me time to wait for a billet one.

Latest posts

Members online