Truck won't move in OD, 1, or 2, regardless of 2wd or 4wd. Only reverse works.

TexasJ

Reaction score
I've got a 96 F250, I think it's the E4od trans, but I'm not sure and don't know how to tell the difference. As the title says, it won't go anywhere in OD 1, or 2, it doesn't matter if it's in 2wd or 4wd. It will rev up, but it's like the transmission isn't engaging with the engine. Reverse works in both 2wd and 4wd though. I looked at the linkages underneath and everything seems to be connected properly, but I have to wait till my girlfriend gets home to have her shift the gear while I watch to see if the linkages are actually moving past reverse.

Any idea what could be causing this before I start tearing into things?

Tia.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
It is internal that is for sure.

The E4OD which should be what you have, will move without electronics forward and backward. So maybe like a forward drum or direct drum failure. can't remember for sure, been a while since I have been in one, but certainly has to come out of the truck.

TexasJ

Reaction score
It is internal that is for sure.

The E4OD which should be what you have, will move without electronics forward and backward. So maybe like a forward drum or direct drum failure. can't remember for sure, been a while since I have been in one, but certainly has to come out of the truck.
Damn...definitely not what I wanted to hear... but thank you for letting me know. Will the entire tranny need to be dropped? Or is it something where I can drop the pan and work on it laying under the truck?

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
My 95 did that on the boat ramp. I had to get under the truck and manually shift it into gear. Can you feel the shift cable switching gears? Any problems leading up to this? When my bronco which has an e4od did it i had to replace the trans.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Damn...definitely not what I wanted to hear... but thank you for letting me know. Will the entire tranny need to be dropped? Or is it something where I can drop the pan and work on it laying under the truck?
If your shifter cable/linkage checks out, then the transmission has to come down. You cannot replace any hard parts by pulling the pan.

Latest posts

Members online