Flow concerns regarding intake Plenums

Viking

Reaction score
What did you use to machine the lip?

post-dremelworkstation.jpg

OSCS

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a "intake manifold" custom made for the 7.3? I saw a guy making one on PSN awhile back but he was only running three runners per bank.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a "intake manifold" custom made for the 7.3? I saw a guy making one on PSN awhile back but he was only running three runners per bank.

Yes. There are a few different designs out there on trucks - but most of them involve removing the oil rails.

Charles

Reaction score
Also, if I read it right, and someone actually asserted that plenum volume does not effect power output.... you are HIGH.

imelmo

Reaction score
I just cleaned a bunch of crap out of this thread. This is a tech section, not AWOL. Next person to muck up this thread will get some time off.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
ZZ Fab pieces.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Triple Runner Stroked Out Manifold

0812dp_05_z+ford_f250+trick_intake_manifold.jpg

0812dp_03_z+ford_f250+injectors.jpg

Larger plenum design from WOE:

SigmaPumpedFord3.jpg

There are more designs out there, but here are just a hand full of stuff that is public knowledge on 7.3 PSDs.

OSCS

Reaction score
ZZ Fab pieces.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Triple Runner Stroked Out Manifold

0812dp_05_z+ford_f250+trick_intake_manifold.jpg

0812dp_03_z+ford_f250+injectors.jpg

Larger plenum design from WOE:

SigmaPumpedFord3.jpg

There are more designs out there, but here are just a hand full of stuff that is public knowledge on 7.3 PSDs.

Thats awesome! It's unreal what people come up with

Charles

Reaction score
To put things in perspective, experienced, professional engine builders agree that the intake plenum volume should be 1.5 to 2 times that of the engine displacement.

For a 444 cubic inch engine, the low end for plenum volume would be 666 cubic inches at 1.5 times the engine displacement.

If you made the plenum out of tube with a section width of 6 inches, it would need to be ~2 feet long in order to meet this requirement. That means a 6" diameter tube from the front to the back of the engine.

That should sufficiently put things in perspective.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
To put things in perspective, experienced, professional engine builders agree that the intake plenum volume should be 1.5 to 2 times that of the engine displacement.

For a 444 cubic inch engine, the low end for plenum volume would be 666 cubic inches at 1.5 times the engine displacement.

If you made the plenum out of tube with a section width of 6 inches, it would need to be ~2 feet long in order to meet this requirement. That means a 6" diameter tube from the front to the back of the engine.

That should sufficiently put things in perspective.

Now, i know ive said that it doesnt matter how much air for turbo or NA because thats how i feel but would a turbo change that calculation at all ?

That would be a big ass manifold LOL

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Now, i know ive said that it doesnt matter how much air for turbo or NA because thats how i feel but would a turbo change that calculation at all ?

A turbo just makes the air more dense - it does not effect the volumetric flow rate through the engine, just the mass flow.

OSCS

Reaction score
A turbo just makes the air more dense - it does not effect the volumetric flow rate through the engine, just the mass flow.[/QUOTE

I always figured a turbo just forced more air in the motor, making it work harder an faster..IE forced induction. I'm able to understand the dynamics much more now that I know it simply makes the air more dense. Great info on this thread I've learned alot.

Charles

Reaction score

Look at load-cell proven manifolds hanging off the side of 5.9L cummins heads and then decide for yourself if the plenum to engine displacement figure I gave seems unrealistic.

Not the best picture size, but here is pretty much the pinnacle of 3.0 engines at a listed 1350hp, born out of sweat and tears on the engine dyno, where the only things on the engine are the things that WORKED.

1202dp_05+off_constantly+injection_pump.jpg

I know the picture size is small, but look at that plenum volume. Compare it to that injection pump for scale.

That's on a 5.9..... well, ~6.4 or so.

Now does a 6" x 24" seem crazy for a 7.3L engine in comparison?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online