Foamy coolant

6speedsd

Reaction score
Just had the truck apart for a new oil cooler. Flushed the piss out of it before hand...both block plugs out, water hose in the tank with it running. Gallons and gallons of water ran through it. Was crystal clear when I stopped flushing it. Fast forward to today. Filled it with distilled water, fired it up and let it idle. After 5 mins or so, I noticed water was getting a dirty cloudy color, and was a slight bit foamy. There is no way anything was left over in the system after the flush I did. After idling for about 15-20mins total, already had a good bit of pressure in the system. Upper rad hose was quite firm, and cracking the cap let off a noticeable amount of pressure. Had a feeling HG's were gone for a while now, but now I'm starting to wonder if instead of HG, I just have a cracked head. Thoughts? What's causing the foam? Haven't drained the system again yet...still too hot. Will be a few days before I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Cracked will produce fuel in coolant. Let it sit. Also don't rush to conclusions...system only filled with water can produce those symptoms. Remember that coolant is designed different than water. Air can be put in water very easily...I.E turbulence...don't stick it with a fork just yet...lol

6speedsd

Reaction score
I figured the only thing that could be introduced to the coolant that would cause foam like that would be fuel. Why I was wondering about a cracked head. The next day I get home before dark I'll drain some in a mason jar and see what it looks like. Was planning on pulling the heads later this year anyways...just hoping to get by until then, because I'm missing the truck for work.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Since when does a cracked head only mix fuel and coolant?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Dude I don't know. I'm not the expert on this stuff. That's why I'm here asking questions to the people who know a hell of a lot more about these trucks than me.

DSTRYER

Reaction score
even with all of the flushing, couldn't you still get some residual from the original problem? I know I did when my oc went on mine...just stuck a rag in the coolant tank to soak anything up and topped off with coolant until I stopped seeing oil.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I thought maybe it was just some left over cleaner (restore or vc9). But as much water as I put through that thing after the cleaners, I don't see how there could be any left.

Now that I think about it, I never did change my coolant filter after the flush. Possibly some was left over in it that never got fully flushed out?

I'm draining the water that's in it in the next couple days. I'll see what it actually looks like when I do. Some foam that goes away once the water settles I'm not that worried about. I guess if it were fuel it would be pretty obvious in fresh clean water though.

6speedsd

Reaction score
This is the first bit out of the radiator. Looks like apple juice. Has just the slightest film on top, but barely noticeable. Keep in mind, I flushed this thing until I had crystal clear water coming out. Shake it up good and I'm just getting air bubbles around the top that go away shortly.

6usuraqu.jpg

Just don't understand why it was clean clear water before tear down, then once it was back together, filled with distilled water and cranked, it immediately went to that color. Truck sat for about a week with straight water in the block...wouldn't think that would be rust.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I don't see how with the amount of water I put through it after the vc9, but I guess anything is possible. I'll fill/drain a few more times with distilled and see if it'll clear up.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Did you have the heat on? Did you pull t stat? Did you pull both block drains? Did you back flush?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Heat was on, t-stat out, both plugs pulled, heater core reverse flushed, radiator completely out of the truck and cleaned. Did forget to back flush the cooler though. Had the old one out before I remembered I didn't do it.

Latest posts

Members online