For people with chip's

d7es3l

Reaction score
Do 6 position chips harm the PCM at all? If so, what is the best way to avoid damaging the PCM? What are the best ways at prolonging the life of the PCM? Thanks.

Viking

Reaction score
Do 6 position chips harm the PCM at all? If so, what is the best way to avoid damaging the PCM? What are the best ways at prolonging the life of the PCM? Thanks.

I believe that if the chip shifts at all when running is when you run into problems. Also this is when you have many trips to the burner to get new tunes. It wears out the tight clamping pressure of the prongs.

d7es3l

Reaction score
I believe that if the chip shifts at all when running is when you run into problems. Also this is when you have many trips to the burner to get new tunes. It wears out the tight clamping pressure of the prongs.

Gotcha. What I do is when I am shifting positions. I wait about 5 seconds after it idles & before I get on it again, I wait about 5 seconds

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Gotcha. What I do is when I am shifting positions. I wait about 5 seconds after it idles & before I get on it again, I wait about 5 seconds

Just have the truck at an idle and everything will be fine. Like stated the thing that harms the most is if the chip moves at all.

ToMang07

Reaction score

You don't really have to do anything when you're changing positions, Just let off the throttle for second that's all you really need to do.

sent while swerving into the wrong lane...

JCart

Reaction score

I would say no harm at all, to avoid damaging the PCM make sure the keys are out of the ignition when messin with it. As soon as you insert the key it sends power to the PCM. As an extra precaution if taking it right out unhook the batteries.

Make sure you clean the contacts when installing the chip set real well by removing the plastic coating on and in between the chip plug in port. when I have done mine I removed the PCM from the truck and cracked it open to clean the contacts. The idea is to remove just the clear plastic material and leave as much contact (tin) as possible.

jrc

d7es3l

Reaction score
I would say no harm at all, to avoid damaging the PCM make sure the keys are out of the ignition when messin with it. As soon as you insert the key it sends power to the PCM. As an extra precaution if taking it right out unhook the batteries.

Make sure you clean the contacts when installing the chip set real well by removing the plastic coating on and in between the chip plug in port. when I have done mine I removed the PCM from the truck and cracked it open to clean the contacts. The idea is to remove just the clear plastic material and leave as much contact (tin) as possible.

jrc

Oh I already have my 6pos installed. I thought it was on the fly switching? I always change mine at idle!

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
You can change it in the fly but most (myself included) don't change settings on the fly

big green stroker

Reaction score
well ive got a chip and its a 96 and it had some 95 tunes on it and one 97 on it and i was at an idle and switched it and the truck stalded and wouldnt start back up and it took the ecm out and i had to get a new one and the company wouldnt cover it bc they were ass holes and said the chip was fine and didnt do it but when i swtched it, it shut the truck down and took the ecm out but now i got all 96 tunes on it and have no problem with it and switch it with no problem. I only had the other tunes on it because it ran a little better with those tunes and it was also because the guy dosent know how to tune a chip very well. But dose anyone know the best place to get the best tunes for hp for a 7.3L on a chip?

Latest posts

Members online