FORD CPS issue

strok-n

Reaction score
Alright guys I am curious if a brand new Ford CPS can be bad right out of the box. I have an Oreilly brand in the truck now and it runs good on it, but I had heard that the ford one is definitely better. So I ordered a new one and put it in and the truck ran for 3 minutes then died. I never could get it to start again. So I pulled the new one out put the old one back in and it runs like a champ. any help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

strok-n

Reaction score
thanks guys I will try another one. Just frustrating when you spend 30 bucks on a new sensor that doesn't work.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
The IH one is good too, never had an issue with it after I put it in. Same price, or if you know the guys at an IH dealer, you can get it a little cheaper. Was in my 97 for years, never had a single problem after I put that one in

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
yep, can be dead right out of the gate. i had a original black brand new that lasted 3hrs.... a ford purple that didnt even start the truck and a grey one last 2 weeks... and yes this was all prior to the cam walk issues i had.

live life full throttle

n54power

Reaction score
I've had one from kragen and one from napa be bad. I have a IH installed right now. I shimmer it using 2 shims. I've been free of issues for over 16 months.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I've had one from kragen and one from napa be bad. I have a IH installed right now. I shimmer it using 2 shims. I've been free of issues for over 16 months.

How did you decide how much to shim it?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here to this forum but not diesels.
I have been having great successes installing the Napa's Echlin model.
It will pull the perdels down to original black cps numbers or better and thus passing the contribution test.
Wear in the wiper motor causes interference killing the engine when the wipers come on.
I use ferrite snap on chokes on the wiper motor wires in addition to one on each cps wire.
This cps will smooth it out, increase fuel economy and dramatically quiet the engine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here to this forum but not diesels.
I have been having great successes installing the Napa's Echlin model.
It will pull the perdels down to original black cps numbers or better and thus passing the contribution test.
Wear in the wiper motor causes interference killing the engine when the wipers come on.
I use ferrite snap on chokes on the wiper motor wires in addition to one on each cps wire.
This cps will smooth it out, increase fuel economy and dramatically quiet the engine.
so you still have to use the chokes on the napa model?

live life full throttle

Reaction score
Some trucks will be ok with the Echlin with no chokes, but most will stall out at idle when the wipers are intermittent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 80
Reaction score
In this picture I chocked each wiper wire and a large one over the whole bundle , taped and liquiplastic.
You can do it where harness comes out of firewall but a lot of trucks have up fitter harness running thru that area making it tight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.