Frame painting and protection

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Since we are talking about cost the SEM Rust Shield (about $75/gal) I used along with the SEM Rust Mort (about $30/qt) totaled a little over $100. I put a decent amount of time and labor into my frame though to get the results I was looking for. I wasn't exactly trying for cheap but cost seems to still be on par with everyone else.

:edit not to mention I have a little under a half gallon left when I was done. Nearly enough to do another complete truck ie. frame and axles.

Whytry

Reaction score
Sorry this is a little of topic but what have you used to stop rust on the body? Do you line it with something or just wash it?

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I keep my truck washed quite a bit. I also replace any rusted parts or treat them with Rust Mort and paint them. My truck doesn't see winter so that is a HUGE difference being where I live. We get pretty harsh winters here loaded with salted and treated roadways. So I put my truck away in my shop for the winter and go through it every year. I put ALOT of time into it.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Does anyone paint there frame any other than black? Pics? I'm going hammered silver frame. Black undersides and prob black axles..

fummins003.jpg

Whytry

Reaction score
I keep my truck washed quite a bit. I also replace any rusted parts or treat them with Rust Mort and paint them. My truck doesn't see winter so that is a HUGE difference being where I live. We get pretty harsh winters here loaded with salted and treated roadways. So I put my truck away in my shop for the winter and go through it every year. I put ALOT of time into it.

Yeah I wish I had that option.

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Pics plz! I will have my frame done by this weekend. I'll post them up

If the weather is nice enough ill be painting tomorrow. Its only primered in red oxide primer right now. Ill see if i can get a pic up off my phone of the primer

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
The bottom of the front of the rails between the engine cradle and front cab mounts, and the driver side of the bottom of the cradle need to be primed yet. Missed them spots pressure washing. Will be done tomorrow when paint starts

chappy

Reaction score
I just started painting mine today with chassis saver satin black. I used it on the old 99 and it held up great over the winter. I didn't want o go with a real glossy frame and axles because then I have to keep it clean so it doesn't look crappy. I use a small thin sponge and wear rubber dish washing gloves and apply it with my hands and just the sponge .

Strokersace

Reaction score
Bout how much will it take to do a good job on a crew cab longbox frame, driveshaft, and front and rear suspension? Everything???

1 quart? 1 Gallon? I have no idea...

I can get the Por-15 and all the "required" cleaning/prepping stuff here in town. The closest place to get the Chassis Saver is about 110 miles away. Haven't found the SEM stuff yet. Por-15 looks like alot of prep work and other crap involved. The Chassis Saver looks like it doesn't need anything fancy to prep, other than making sure it's clean. I like what I've seen of the CS so far and its cheaper than the Por-15.

Thinking about doing this weekend if I know how much I need to buy.

Last edited:

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
It took me about 3/4 gallon of primer to do my cclb frame in 2 coats. I assume paint will be about the same

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Strokersace

Reaction score
Ok so finally dove into this the past weekend. Went with Chassis Saver for 2 reasons: great reviews and cheaper than por-15. Brushed it on and I used approx. 1/2 gallon.

Spent all day Sat prepping the frame, all day yesterday painting. Chassis Saver recommends 2 to 3 light coats, with 3 to 6 hours time between coats. Well I started brushing it on at 9:30 in the morning and finally finished the 1st coat at 5:30pm. After a couple of hours and not really feeling like I was getting anywhere, I started applying a much thicker coat. Holy crap did it take forever!!! Did a quick 2nd coating on the rear axle, spring hangers and rear frame that had alot of surface rust, and on the middle section that I'd done a light coat on. Bout 8pm last night I topcoated w/ Rustoleum Semi-Gloss spray can. Took 4 cans of Rustoleum to topcoat entire frame. Letting dry fully and putting the wiring and fuel lines back in tonight.

Didn't take any before pics but will take some finished pics tonight before I put the wheels back on. I'm pretty happy with how it looks, although it took forever and even with wearing rubber gloves, I'm still covered with black paint from my armpits to my finger tips!!

Prep took quite a bit to since Ford put the rubberized coating on the entire frame. I don't think the SD's have this. Scrapped all of it off and all the rusted enamel paint. Then took a wire brush to the hard to get spots and a wire wheel to the rest. Sprayed entire frame with degreaser and washed. Let it sit overnight to dry fully before I painted.

I'm also going to do my fuel tanks, airbag brackets, AirDog mount, and post pump fuel filter mount. Trying to decide if I want to coat the inside of my front and rear bumpers too just to give a little added protection from rusting. Going to get this done within the next couple of days.

Latest posts

Members online