Freaking oil everywhere

salt_life_87

Reaction score
Just got my 08 f350 SRW back a couple weeks ago from getting the up pipes, and EGR crossover pipe replaced due to faulty flex portions. Truck has been running very good considering its stock and I've been driving it daily to work 70ish round trip.

Well on my way home from a 24 hour guard shift, thinking the exhaust was in regen I got on it a few times on the back roads trying to help that soot get cleaned out, besides the typical regen smoke nothing else out of the norm.

Well still during the regen process when I got home, no smoke no thing I went ahead and shut the truck off, well I'm assuming along the way it was forcing engine oil from somewhere up top and coated the entire underside of the truck for the most part. I'm hoping for some reason the oil fill cap was loose as you can see a spray pattern on the hood but who knows.

Going to let it cool down, spray some engine degreaser and try and get that oil off with a pressure washer under the truck and light pressure in the engine bay. Any suggestions on how to test? Have to drive it down the block to pick up lord knows how many quarts of oil to refill but I'm praying to god it was a loose oil cap that didn't leak at all since I got it back. The shop did drop the trans to get to the pipes but no leaks at all since I got it back.... Story of my life I guess.

salt_life_87

Reaction score
I'll do that jonnydime, thanks.

I went ahead and cleaned it up a bit, put about 13 qts since the dipstick wasn't showing anything but the low oil pressure light wasn't on. Let it settle for a few minutes turned the truck back on and within 10 seconds the all of it was on the floor but not clean it was sludge, no milky oil just looked like an over due oil change thick oil. Dipstick was dry again.

Pretty pissed obviously but the shop that just did my exhaust and pulled the trans to do it said there wasn't any issues with the rear main seal or anything else. I had them go over the truck while they had it just so I didn't get stranded later on for any reason. What a day.

salt_life_87

Reaction score
Will do shipmate, thanks.

Read up on the glow plug harness issue, praying to god that's not the case, I guess people get the spilled oil and the engine isn't hitting 100 percent/missing and then they get a code. Mine was actually running pretty normal. FML

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Pissing out while idling typically isnt glow plug harness or dipstick tube. Those both tend to need some rpm to cause the oil to splash high enough to evacuate it out onto the ground. I would be checking the turbo drains or feed lines, as well as oil filter cap and base gasket. Those will piss any time there is pressure, if yhere is an issue with them.

salt_life_87

Reaction score
Yea I already decided to have it towed to the shop today or tomorrow. No CELs, no knocking or any crazy noises of any sort, started right up just fine. I'm hoping that's a good that it isn't anything too bad.

salt_life_87

Reaction score
Thanks 6.0 Tech, I had to step back for a few, worked a 24 and didn't get off until 8 this morning. Might leave it to the "experts" who have a little more patience than me. So much for saving my income tax.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Sounds like a piston is cracked

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Just had one in last week like that, but it was idling a little rough and was low on power. The piston cracked while the truck was idling in a parking lot 😳

salt_life_87

Reaction score
Holy ****, I'll settle for a loose line. Even the last time I cranked it over it was still running fine.... hopefully they'll be able to figure out tomorrow without having to take apart the whole truck

78f100

Reaction score
A cracked piston will not make it just pump oil out at idle. As already said if it's pumping it out that fast it has to be on the front or rear seal, oil cooler housing, hpfp gasket, or turbo feed/drain leak. I run them all the time without valve covers and very little comes out until rpms are raised. I would be concerned about the engine health if you had to put 13qts in it to refill, and it pumped it out in less time than your drive home took. That means at some point it was most likely out of oil. Hope it's all good, theres only a few places it could leak that bad from, fill it and start it, if it's that bad should be obvious.

salt_life_87

Reaction score
I did fill and by the time I stepped down from the driver seat it was already pouring on the floor, probably with the same flow as a open oil drain plug maybe a little larger.

I was on a 24 hr guard shift last night and around 12 am, 2 am and 4 am I took my rounds checking locks in my truck. Was parked in the same spot all night and no leaks. Didn't notice it going home so i can't tell where it started.

78f100

Reaction score
Oh I didn't realize you meant it it was running out as you pour it in. Thats most likely the glow plug harness popped out on the pass side. Hopefully the guys had it off and just didnt get the gasket seated in the vc. About the only other thing it could be is the ccv is restricted or a broke piston, like the other guys said.
I actually poured about 3 gallons on the shop floor like that one day, I knew the harness wasn't in, just wasn't thinking the oil puddles right where harness goes.

salt_life_87

Reaction score
It wasn't pouring out as it was pouring it, it didn't come out until after I poured it, looked underneath and saw nothing got in the truck, started it and stepped down. That's when It started pouring out. Getting towed I'm today.

salt_life_87

Reaction score
Update. Shop said it was a line from the High pressure oil pump. I guess whatever bolts it to the pump was stripped out. Shouldn't cost but a couple hours of labor and they are washing it down and it'll be good to go.

Retraced my steps this morning on my route to work and I didn't locate any big oil puddles, I would like to believe the power stroke is a little more stout and didn't beat on her long enough to have any long lasting negative affects to the block.

Any advice on what to do now besides lestining for any crazy noises or smoke? Definitely gonna do another oil change depending on the brand of oil they put in to replace the missing oil.

Also any suggestions on a cleaner to get whatever oil they can't get from underneath the truck? I'm thinking a foam degrees error underneath the truck and my pressure washer but it didn't look like it did to much the other day when I sprayed it off.

patricku47

Reaction score
Also any suggestions on a cleaner to get whatever oil they can't get from underneath the truck? I'm thinking a foam degrees error underneath the truck and my pressure washer but it didn't look like it did to much the other day when I sprayed it off.

I used purple power and a pressure washer after mine got a good oil bath not long ago. Seemed to get it pretty good and clean, but I think I ended up wearing most of what came off.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.