front axle issue plz help!!!!

B-FEAGLEY7.3

Reaction score
On my front axle the passenger side axle shaft spins freely but the driver side won't spin for anything!!! Is it supposed to. If so what has caused it to lock up

Zmann

Reaction score
messed up locking hub

you have auto or manual ?

what year ?

try going lock unlock back and forth twice or lock auto twice for auto hubs and check the axle shaft again

B-FEAGLEY7.3

Reaction score
I've tried still locked up the lock out engages and disengages. I have no clue what's got the driver side shaft locked up. Anyone else got ideas???

skylinedan

Reaction score
Inner bearings are toasting bet, pull both hubs see of you can turn the axle stubs then. I just went through this with mine, found that my right warn exploded due to a half tied up u joint I think.

Zmann

Reaction score
I think SL Dan called it
it's locked up but doesn't spin with the truck moving correct ?

that is why you don't hear groaning because it's not turning

what year truck ? and if it's seized I would think you might be looking at a stub shaft as well

skylinedan

Reaction score
The inner bearing that the axle stub goes through can go bad and cause the axle to creep . Problem I had was my right u joint had one tied up bearing cap, so when the axle creeped to the right spot the steering wheel wouldn't turn . You'd pull hard snap it back and the truck would be all over the road like the death wobble we read about on hear now n then. Changing the u joints is not bad, but they are big so my ball joint tool didn't work great but it worked. You also need the seal installer for the seal behind the unit bearing " hub " or something to do the job.

Zmann

Reaction score
no the unit bearing is not serviceable due to the" torque values needed for assembly" the whole reason behind the unit bearing was to eliminate installer error on bearing preloads and save time and money

it's been done but not recommended and there is no handy bearing list
so you'd be on your own matching up internals and seals

and you may be making your hub a time bomb

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.