Front crank seal tool

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I need to install the front crank seal and need the special tool. Does anyone know where I could rent one? I really don't want to spend $200 on a tool I'll likely never use again.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
I use a large 3/4 drive socket that is the exact size of the seal. I know it may not be the preferred method but you can almost push that seal in by hand. ive never torn one up and never had any leaks.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
The new seal wil have a wear ring to install with the seal so you can't just push it on.

I know the place I got mine would rent them. I can't remember the name of the place tho.

They had cheaper tools that were used since they rented them out.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
I would use the correct tool that put the wear sleeve on with it, unless you want to do it over.

SINNER

Reaction score
They never have one to begin with. The seal wears a groove in the crank snout. The wear sleeve restores the surface after it has worn. And yes you need one after the seal goes bad the first time. If the seal fails after the wear sleeve is installed then it needs to be removed and replaced along with the seal.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Just a tip for you guys needing to install those wear rings, get a bowl of hot water, hot to the point you cant stick your hand in it, drop the ring in it, wait until the water cools to where you can bare sticking your fingers in, pull the ring out, put the tapered side towards the radiator, and tap it with a wood block and hammer. Once you have it flush with the harmonic balancer dowel, put your harmonic balancer back on and evenly run the bolts in, this will suck the wear sleeve in the rest of the way. And for the love of god, make sure your small low pressure oil pump gear is on before you put the sleeve on.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
The seal wasn't bad. The neck for the heater pipe broke off so i replaced the front cover. There was no wear on the nose of the crank.

I tried putting the wear ring in the oven at 300* and tried the method above to no avail.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The seal wasn't bad. The neck for the heater pipe broke off so i replaced the front cover. There was no wear on the nose of the crank.

I tried putting the wear ring in the oven at 300* and tried the method above to no avail.

Something must not have been right then... they arent very hard to install

Latest posts

Members online