front end conversion question

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
If I have the 05 bumper and grille, will that still bolt up and fit with the old header panel and headlights? Just wondering if I can go ahead and put that on until I have the funds for new headlights and header panel.. thanks

89xj

Reaction score
The grill won't clip into the header panel. The 05+ grill is taller therefore dropping down a few inches past the bottom of the header

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help. Just curious tho, I have read about some guys doing the conversion but still using the old header panel as long as you do some trimming on it. Can someone explain?

Arisley

Reaction score
I had to trim mine when I put '05 headlights on it. Trim hell, you have to chop a lot of it out for the lights to fit. They are held in with zip ties.

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
I had to trim mine when I put '05 headlights on it. Trim hell, you have to chop a lot of it out for the lights to fit. They are held in with zip ties.

what about the 05 grille? what has to be done to get that to work?

im not really concerned about the headlights because I would buy the new header panel and headlights together. I'm just curious if I can run the new grille with the old headlights and header panel

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
Zip ties are your friend though.

zip ties are everyone's friend

I once had a kx250 dam near completely held together with zip ties LOL

but i imagined that there were some zip ties involved with this process.. but hell, if it works...

Reaction score
you have to cut a good amount of the old header panel out to get the 05+s in there, only up side is they use holes already on the header panel to mount them.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
The screw holes at the top of the grille are the same on the old header panel, you can put the grille on using the screws at the top and just secure the bottom with zips.... It def takes alot of cutting to get the head lights in the old panel... If I was doin it again id spend the 80 or so bucks and just buy the right panel when I got ready for the lights....

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
The screw holes at the top of the grille are the same on the old header panel, you can put the grille on using the screws at the top and just secure the bottom with zips.... It def takes alot of cutting to get the head lights in the old panel... If I was doin it again id spend the 80 or so bucks and just buy the right panel when I got ready for the lights....

well if that works then im just going to add the new grille and wait until i can buy the new header panel and headlights at the same time.. thanks for the response

89xj

Reaction score
No zip ties needed for the headlights. Just a lot of trimming. Pretty much cut a 8x8 square roughly behind the whole headlight. The grill I'd just set it aside until you get the headlights and header panel. No point half assing something.

Latest posts

Members online