Front main oil seal

Stroked777

Reaction score
How bad is it to do the oil seal cab on? Do I need special tools? What's involved and what needs to be taken off if anything (besides the belts and harmonic balancer)

webb06

Reaction score
How bad is it to do the oil seal cab on? Do I need special tools? What's involved and what needs to be taken off if anything (besides the belts and harmonic balancer)

Easily do able with cab on. No need to remove radiator or anything forward of it. You can remove the fan,fan clutch, top section of the fan shroud and the part of the shroud that bolts to the engine all without removing the radiator. This will give you plenty of room to perform the repair.

Nice to have the seal install tool but not absolutely necessary. You can usually use the pulley to press the wear sleeve onto the crankshaft.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Well if I don't need to get a puller for it then I see it being an easy job. Just my next question is how to put the seal on

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well, the new seal has a wear sleeve. Of course with that comes a special tool seal installed. But someone else will chime in and say use some sort of pvc and half the old seal, a 2x4, and then wish upon a lucky star it doesnt leak after its installed.... what do I know

webb06

Reaction score
It'll be tricky to install the wear sleeve without either having the correct tool or making one like I have.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
No but if there is, it's nothing a hammer and chisel can't handle