Fuel cooler delete/relocation

BFT

Reaction score
Let's put our heads together and see if we can't clean this mess up
IMG_9121.jpg

I for one would like to clean this up. What would it take, what would we need to do this? I'm about to do a bit of cleaning under the hood and this eye sore is at the top of my list.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have not looked at the lines that close, is the cooler on the supply or the return?
Either way why couldnt you just get another line, looks to be 5/16, and bypass all of it and delete it all.

BFT

Reaction score
One of them is a return and I'm sure it's the on with the schrader valve. The other line goes to the pump under the heat shield and is "T" off. Would like to see what option are out there and what we can come up with.
Wouldn't want someone to get their fuel to hot and cause problems

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Get a fuel cooler and mount it inline on the frame. Reroute the water lines. Would be cleaner in my book. Wouldn't be a performance inbitor either

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Mine is deleted part of the problem Is everything is banjo fittings. On the rear return I cut the banjo and flared it to use hose with a clamp.

My return isn't regulated but it might be soon

BFT

Reaction score
Get a fuel cooler and mount it inline on the frame. Reroute the water lines. Would be cleaner in my book. Wouldn't be a performance inbitor either

I think there is only one coolant line that goes to the cooler that attaches to the radiator? Should be simple plugging that off.

Mine is deleted part of the problem Is everything is banjo fittings. On the rear return I cut the banjo and flared it to use hose with a clamp.

My return isn't regulated but it might be soon

I was thinking the same thing on cutting vs taking all that mess apart

I remember seeing a cooler on the duramaxes that sits in frog of the tank. How good would that work? (this is for the people that still want the option of running the cooler)

White_monster

Reaction score
Anyone for see any issues not cooling the Vgt actuator? This system is separate from the rest of the cooling system too. At least I haven't found where it's connected yet.

BFT

Reaction score
That's another thing... The actuator and the cooler are looped, would plugging it cause a problem or just run a hose to the degas bottle?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Re-route the lines, bypass the cooler basically. Stil leaves cooling for the actuator. Unless you are wanting to delete that too and I'm missunderstanding LOL

madman1234509

Reaction score
It have a schematic that I printed off of here or powerstroke nation, it seems very simple to do. Itll definitely be on my list either when I do my low pressure fuel system and fuel bowl delete or non vgt compounds

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Here's what I did short and simple.... Hpfp is 12mmx1.5mm pitch...you can oreder fittings from summit that convert that into a an fitting... I ran from my airdog 10an stainless braided to my hpfp.. as for a return take the return line from the hpfp and cut it on the downstream side of the tee and drill and tap it for a 1/8" npt... Again from summit you can order a 1/8 to whatever an... I used 8an and ran it to where my stock low pressure pump was and installed a 12" aluminum single pass cooler... From there you can use a 3/8 tube fitting, cut the factory steel return line and use that fitting....

I used probably overkill on everything but thats what i chose to do also I use to have a regulator on my fuel system so that the return would actually have to overcome 10psi before it would return... The reasoning behind this is the factory one has to overcome the factory 3psi reg in the factory bowl.... I think it actually helpped with keeping pressure on my hpfp bit i hqvent got a chance to put the regulator back on there yet....hope that helped

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Anyone for see any issues not cooling the Vgt actuator? This system is separate from the rest of the cooling system too. At least I haven't found where it's connected yet.

No issues thus far but I don't have a ton of.miles on it. But when I.was running the procharger I had the actuator plugged in under the hood.

Still works fine 5000 miles or so later

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Why do you even need the fuel cooler?

Umm theres a chart somewhere... Showing the power loss with diesel at certain temps....honestly i doubt you need a cooler.. honestly a single pass 12" cooler is 30 bucks so I figured might as well just throw it in.... I believe the fan doesnt kick on that cooler system until 110 I xoupd be wrong tho

Side not as mentioned above I have all new lines that run up the firewall to the motor instead of under the motor but after a long drive on the freeway the cooler is still cool to the touch... I'll try shooting it with a temp gun soon

Last edited:

White_monster

Reaction score
I still think cooling the actuator is a smart choice. That piece gets screaming hot, I touched it by accident and it wasn't fun. Maybe a small bracket on the firewall for the reservoir would be clean. Be nice to ditch the big ugly bracket for all of this stuff and let the engine be seen.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Why do you even need the fuel cooler?

The pump has more fuel supplied to it then it commonly will use so it returned to the bowl(tank). During that time it picks up heat off the engine. Cooler keeps the temps down and viscocity up. Which is important since fuel is the only lube the injection pump has. Whether it ever gets to that point or not I dunno.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.