Fuel cooler

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Swapped in a 6.0L trans cooler and got to thinking.

Anyone ever used the stock trans cooler as a fuel cooler (cleaned out of course). I was thinking of running the return line through the stock cooler and back to the tank.

Any benefits ?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
What kind ? In the return line ?

I just figured I have this cooler, so instead of chucking it. Use it. I could swear I read someone doing this, for some reason TARM comes to mind.

Would a stock trans cooler be too much of a restriction ?

Tom S

Reaction score
Mine is made by Derale and is the extruded aluminum type.

TARM

Reaction score
I am running a V10 as fuel cooler. Reference my fuel system thread. I still have to put in temp gauges to test the reduction but just from feel alone I can tell a noticeable difference. I mounted it right up front in the grill. Some worry about fire with a front end crash and liability but basically all engine fluids to include coolant are flammable and have been the cause of fires in the engine bay. Diesel is not that much different than either trans fluid or power steer both of which can be found right up front. Throw just about any engine fluid on a 1000 degree exhaust head and it will flash immediately into flame.

Here is a tech paper on such testing.

http://garrett-engineers.com/index....hat-burn&catid=35:outside-articles&Itemid=104

Based on the info I have collected I think fuel temps have a significant effect on fuel system parts life specifically injectors and pumps as well as on power production, fuel economy, emissions. I plan to do some testing this winter and then more in peak summer heat. Then hopefully I will get some dyno runs in there based on the fuel temp numbers seen cooled versus not as well as ideal temps and see what effects it has on power production.

I used compression to male JIC/AN fittings then to hose ends for connection that is solid and leak free.

Last edited:

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Right on TARM thanks.

How did you go about running the fuel line down the the cooler from the regulator ?

I was just gonna use a compression fitting to 1/2" Pushlok. Are the coolers dirrectional at all ?

Im guessing they are not restricted to hurt flow even for the larger sticks.

TARM your link links to a sponsors welcome LOL

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
I would have tried out a cooler up front but room is so tight on an OBS.

TARM

Reaction score
Tom,

I can understand that. You guys have a number of challenges with the OBS but I have to admit I prefer that body style and the way a nice clean setup OBS looks. Just swap a SD suspension and axles under it and you get the best of both worlds.

DB,

I have no idea what happened with my link but it was meant to be http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4230

I ran along the outside following the fender and then back out the same. I used the same as you plan. As far as I know there is no dif in the flow direction in the V10 cooler I used. I liked that the in and out were both on the same side so I had one path for hose runs. No issue at all with flow backup as we are talking about the return to tank line which 3/8" seems plenty and the coolers have flow for 1/2". It would have to exceed reg pressure anyways and thats not going to happen.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
I run a 7.3 trans cooler up front on the feed side and a 6.0 p-steering cooler on the frame for the return side

TARM

Reaction score
Its on the return side where its already heated from the engine so I very doubt it with maybe the exception of our AK members and others up north. But it would only take a ball valve and a extra piece of hose for a bypass to take care of it IF it was needed in extreme cold.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
Are you concerned about the pressure on the feed side.

No, I figure the trans pumps out more psi then my pumps do. Been that way for close to 2 years and never had a problem with it yet, hope to never have one either

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
This is how I mounted mine. I took the old 7.3 trans cooler and drilled the rivets on the large mounts and turned it upside down, and mounted it up top and will run the lines by the air intake side. No more Zoo-dad mod LOL. I did have to cut a bit of the header panel to clear the cooler. I also had to modify one A/C condenser mount by cutting off a bit of the excess to allow the cooler to sit high enough to use an existing hole to mount.

I will just use a compression fitting or even a hose clamp with 3/8s hose and a pushlok adpater to go up to my 1/2" back to the tank.

73psd048.jpg

73psd047.jpg

73psd046.jpg

73psd049.jpg

73psd050.jpg

Im gonna button here up this weekend.

TARM

Reaction score
Looks good to me.

IK prefer the compression fittings but whatever will work as its low pressure.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Does anyone have issues with fuel gelling up in winter from these coolers?

Winter fuel is treated. It doesn't gel in the tank, and it's not going to gel in the lines/cooler either.

I think putting coolers on the fuel line is simply covering up a symptom of sending fuel through the heads then back to the tank. In my opinion a 4 way dead head is a much better solution and a performance enhancement to boot. Do the in tank mods and an AD then a 4 way dead head and you have removed the air, stopped fuel from circulating through the heads and being heated, and improved flow to the injectors without adding a convoluted loop to the fuel lines for no other purpose than to cool the fuel.

Just something to think about.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Winter fuel is treated. It doesn't gel in the tank, and it's not going to gel in the lines/cooler either.

I think putting coolers on the fuel line is simply covering up a symptom of sending fuel through the heads then back to the tank. In my opinion a 4 way dead head is a much better solution and a performance enhancement to boot. Do the in tank mods and an AD then a 4 way dead head and you have removed the air, stopped fuel from circulating through the heads and being heated, and improved flow to the injectors without adding a convoluted loop to the fuel lines for no other purpose than to cool the fuel.

Just something to think about.

I've herd of this setup before, and a few people think its a much better design like yourself.

But why doesnt any of the big boys use/sell it ? Not being a smartass, I would like to know ?

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
I've herd of this setup before, and a few people think its a much better design like yourself.

But why doesnt any of the big boys use/sell it ? Not being a smartass, I would like to know ?

It is slightly more complicated, and requires slightly more hose.
I do like the idea, but my only gripe is that it won't bleed the air out of the heads.

FWIW, coolers should always be put in the hottest part of the fluid flow if possible. This give the maximum heat transfer (BTUs, watts, etc..). For these trucks that means the return side. The greater the temperature difference between the mediums (in this conversation, fuel and air), the more heat can be transferred for a given cooler.
I can probably dig up the equations if you really need to see them, I'm pretty sure I still have that book from Heat & Mass Transfer class in college.

Latest posts

Members online