fuel delivery

njjeep

Reaction score
I have Marty's Fuel System. It was real easy to install. It uses an A1000 and it will support any size injector.

TARM

Reaction score
any of the pumps you are looking at will handle the fueling needs of those injectors. Its the nozzle more than the injectors volume that matters. So 100% nozzle is a 100% nozzle anything much over 238cc is not doing much as run into the available PW wall.

An A1000 flows close to 2x that of dual SD (bosch) pumps; 95-100gph/40-45gph respectively. A walbro flows about the same as the dual SD pumps 40-45@ 65-70 psi. The Bosch 044 flows about 80-85gph at the same pressures. Then you have the Aero A1000. The issue with it is without a add on module it runs at full speed all the time. This can be an issue with excessive flow rate as well as shortened life. Fuelabs you have a number of pump sizes. 41401 is the most popular. They are recommended to be used at the 60% setting when used continuous such as DD situations so you should rate them based on this. It also should help duty life. So it flows around 60 gph in this reduced level in the same pressure range. That puts it right between the Walbro/dual SD and the Bosch 044. If run at full speed its equal to the A1000. To run the A1000 at reduced speed you need that pw modulator/FPSC but this is as costly as the pump so IMO no worth it when you have the fuelabs with its built into the pumps functions.

SD Bosch: 20-25gph
Walbro/Dual SD (Bosch): 40-45gph
Fuelab 41401 @ 60% DC: 60gph
Bosch 044: 80-85gph
A1000/Fuelab 41401 @ 100%DC: 95-100gph

Charles has reported on his setup 650hp with 400% running @ 1.6ms PW with a 60gph flow rate pump setting it holds set pressure. So you can use that as a gauge. My Bosch 044 holds my 465cc/200% no issue @ 70 psi

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
FWIW, Fuelab 41401 at REDUCED SPEED is held 70psi with 400/400% in my race engine.

Only point being that more isn't always better or necessary.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I'm highly considering Bosch 044. I want the highest flowing reliable pump for the least money. I'll be building my own fuel system and couldnt decide on pumps. Now that I will probably run a single pump your pre pump set up is looking good.

On edit: I will be calling you soon about the pre pump kit and get some info from you since you have seen 12s racing. I want to hit 12s eventually even of it's 12.99

Last edited:

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the 044 pump requires 1/2" suction side hose and pickup/connection (per Bosch) and that Bosch doesn't rate or warrant it for use with Diesel Fuel. It has worked very well for a number of people, and I've got 2 of them sitting on my desk, but still not a "perfect" solution.

TARM

Reaction score
FWIW, Fuelab 41401 at REDUCED SPEED is held 70psi with 400/400% in my race engine.

Only point being that more isn't always better or necessary.

I 100% agree. I think many are way over pumped. IMO only negative can come from having too much pump with no way to turn it down.

Do you by chance know what is the maxium PW the tune has those injectors set for? That tells better what kind of flow rates are looking at.

I know Charles has stated his 400s are rock solid 650 HP @ 60 GPH. Not sure on the pressure but guessing 60psi

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I'll have to look into that also tarm. As of right now it's just getting part ideas together so I can pull the trigger on them soon. I know I will run probably 275/100 for now then down the road bump it to a 200% nozzle possibly. I'd like to keep it on a low budget but not skimp on anything.

TARM

Reaction score
You will do fine with dual SD I would pick this over a Walbro any day everyday.

You will pay more for the extra fittings etc but you will also have back up if one goes out you are still going down the street just fine on one just do not use heavy throttle

Next I would pick either the bosch 044 or the FL 41401

You will never need anything larger unless its an all out comp rig.

There are other areas of the fuel system I would spend extra money. Do a search and look at my setup.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Yeah i liked the reliability of dual SD. I'm afraid of making the jump to a single performance pump and having issues. Already have a dual SD pump system designed. Thanks tarm. Dennis i'll be calling soon about seeing if you can help.

TARM

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the 044 pump requires 1/2" suction side hose and pickup/connection (per Bosch) and that Bosch doesn't rate or warrant it for use with Diesel Fuel. It has worked very well for a number of people, and I've got 2 of them sitting on my desk, but still not a "perfect" solution.

I bet you would be all over them if they warrantied diesel D:

I fully agree on the hose size and I believe the tech I spoke to was speaking in terms of ID for the 1/2" so a 5/8" hose size. But I could be mistaken on that. It was many months ago I was talking with them.

IMO I see no reason that all setups can not run 5/8 -10an hose and fittings.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Finally had enough time to day dream today and get the system figured out. I think I'm going to run the bosch 044. When I bump to bigger nozzle size I may have to bump up the pump but I'll address that when it comes. I never realized how stressful a motor swap and adding parts would be.

Tarm and dennis while I have you guys looking at this thread, do you guy know what all it would take to put a obs motor into a sd. It will get a different hpop, turbo set up, and will get the sd plenums. Is that all that will be required or is there more?

TARM

Reaction score
You would do best starting another thread for that question IMO. There are better people for to answer that than me.

You will not be needing to ever upgrade from the 044. It flows enough for 400/400 unless and likley 800 HP on fuel which happens so often with 7.3s... NOT

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Alright sweet tarm thanks a alot. I have already found all the parts for the fuel system. Would running 5/8 from tank thru pre pump filter and to post pump filter then dropping back to the factory line back to the motor be ok? or should I try to run 5/8 all the way?

TARM

Reaction score
5/8 from tank to pump

3/8 from pump >Y fitting > 2x 3/8 one to each rear fuel ports 2x 3/8 from front fuel ports to regulator

3/8 from regulator back to tank ( use the factory feed line as the return instead of the smaller factory return.)

A general rule of thumb as long as you size your feed line and your return line the same you will not have issues. Not saying you can not have a smaller return than feed as you can but this takes all the guess work out.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
ok sweet makes sense. I'm starting to get excited about this build. I'm hoping for 550hp at the wheels Hopefully the nozzle size won't hurt my cause and the d66 will hold up until I get a bigger turbo.

TARM

Reaction score
As I did not say it to be clear you need a 5/8 PU tube. Dennis has the kit needed for that.

The other thing is make sure to keep the return ( old feed PU tube) and the new PU tube ( 5/8) apart as much as possible. Actually it would not hurt to use a fitting and add a 90 to the return so its good and far from the PU.

Latest posts

Members online