fuel in coolant

travis L

Reaction score
i think i have fuel in my coolant. it sorta smells and feels like diesel. i replaced the cap the other day and tried to bleed the air out, but to no avail. it keeps puking out of the bottle, so im thinking it could be diesel. how would i go about checking this out. and what should i do first.

Bugman

Reaction score
Water is heaver than diesel so you should be able to see fuel floating on the surface of the coolant tank.

If you do have fuel in the coolant the first suspect would be the injector cups.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The injector cups. Youre pretty much gaurenteed that's your problem. Its up to you whether or not you just replace the one or few that are cracked, or do all 8. Pull all injectors out, pressure coolant system up to 15-16 lbs, take a flashlight and mirror and look into each cup. If you don't see coolant pissing out of any of the cups, squirt soapy water into the cups one at a time, and look for the bubbles.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Sometimes if the fuel has been in the ciolant long enough, and especially If the truck has been driven and gotten hot with fuel in the coolant, some coolant hoses may need replacing. Also a good idea to replace the injector o rings while the injectors are out

Bugman

Reaction score
If it is and odds are that it is the injector cups and you plan on doing the job yourself there is a kit sold by Rosewood Diesel Shop that has everything that you need to do the job.

Last edited:

travis L

Reaction score
Does anyone have a step by step directions to replace the cups. i have no idea how to do it and can't afford to take it to a shop.

Bugman

Reaction score
Check out YouTube they have everything else.

You will need the special tools that are available from Rosewoods that I posted in another post.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Pretty simple job. Drop a penny in each cup to keep the metal shavings out of the cylinders, tap the cup, install a bolt same size as tap, and you can use a slide hammer on the drivers side at least, or make a "plate" with a hole through it for the bolt, so it sits on the head or rockers, and you can then tighten the bolt up, and shim it once it bottoms out, and eventually, the cup will pull out. At least that's how I've done the cup jobs.

travis L

Reaction score
started changing the cups and i cant get the last injector out on the passenger side. that box is in the way that holds the heater core or whatever. what is the best way to get it out. i was thinking taking off one of the motor mounts and jack that side of the engine.

travis L

Reaction score
i kept cranking this morning, and bled the fuel lines. when the battery was dieing down and cranking slower, it started cranking faster. I am afraid i lost compression.

Latest posts

Members online