fuel leak

96OBS

Reaction score
Sorry again for another post, I'm sure y'all are tired of me, but I've got a fuel leak... the other day I changed my filter and spilled a little diesel in the valley so I looked and seen it and dried it all out with ether. Well I seen more fuel in the valley today, so I went to car was and sprayed it all down with decreased and came ho.e and looked and dried it all out with ether and started it and loomed for bout 20 minutes and didn't see a drip. Well I went out and came back and looked and I seen a small puddle again. The puddle is directly under the big bolt on the fuel pump, but the pump itself is dry. I looked behind the fuel bowl and it looks wet, so I'm guessing the bowl is leaking somewhere and running down. So my question is how hard is it to reseal a fuel bowl? This is my first 7.3 and I'm 16 so I'm no pro mechanic but I will have my dad to help me. Is the best reseal kit the one from diesel o'rings for $1250? And do I need to replace anything else while I'm in there? I hate leaks and just can't stand it....

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
by fuel bowl do you mean the filter base. i believe there is a weep hole in the fuel lift pump in the front that will leak fuel if the pump is bad. could also be a rubber line that runs from the bottom of the filter base to the pump that is leaking. i hope you mean $12.50 for the price. lol other wise that is some serous cash for a reseal kit.

96OBS

Reaction score
Ya sorry I forgot the decimal. Lol. And ya the filter housing. How can a tel if it the weep hole or the pump going bad?

JD3020

Reaction score
If the pump is leaking, the fuel shouldn't be able to get to the front of the valley. I lost a fuel pump last year, shortly after i lost a high pressure return line and dumped 4-5 gallons of fuel onto my engine in a short amount of time, so the valley was a mess. But when the fuel pump went it was just dumping fuel down the back of the block.

But i'd pull the fuel bowl out, re-seal it, clean it up, replace the rubber lines as you can get some for under a $1, clean everything out, and go from there.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Here's where the weep hole is. If you have a hard time seeing down there to see if it's leaking, use a little mirror and you should be able to see it fine.

P5150015.JPG

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
If the pump is leaking, the fuel shouldn't be able to get to the front of the valley. I lost a fuel pump last year, shortly after i lost a high pressure return line and dumped 4-5 gallons of fuel onto my engine in a short amount of time, so the valley was a mess. But when the fuel pump went it was just dumping fuel down the back of the block.

But i'd pull the fuel bowl out, re-seal it, clean it up, replace the rubber lines as you can get some for under a $1, clean everything out, and go from there.

I was getting fuel up front when my pump went. It would slosh around from driving and stopping, thats what threw me off at first.

96OBS

Reaction score
Well there no fuel up front, its gathering up right underneath the fuel pump. It looks kinda damp Behring the fuel bowl too. So I'm gonna do a re seal and hopefully I can manage it, the if its still leaking I'll go from there. Is there any symptoms of a failing pump, like any noises or anything like that?

96OBS

Reaction score
So there is a hose connected to the weep hole? If so then why is it leaking? LSO have another quick question. On the front cover my little sticker is stamped 95? The truck was made in late 95 and titled a 96. Does that mean I need the 95 fuel bowl re seal kit?

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
So there is a hose connected to the weep hole? If so then why is it leaking? LSO have another quick question. On the front cover my little sticker is stamped 95? The truck was made in late 95 and titled a 96. Does that mean I need the 95 fuel bowl re seal kit?

No. In the picture that little tiny hole you see is the weep hole. That is on the front passenger side of the pump.

96OBS

Reaction score
Okay. I was gonna take the little black intake manifold thing off but wasn't sure what kinda clamp it was and if there was anything in there I could screw up. If I do take it off will I be able to see the weep hole? How can I tell if that's what's leaking?

96OBS

Reaction score
Does anyone know the symptoms of a failing fuel pump? Last night I looked in the valley and the big banjo bolt looked a little wet. So I took brake clean and dried out then whole valley. Well this morning I went to start it and it just cranked and cranked. It was pouring white smoke. So I just kept cranking and it just cranked. I cranked again and it tried to catch. Then I cranked some more. Finally I cranked again and it started and runs fine. I'm not sure why it did it. Posibally fuel pump bad and letting fuel drain back. But it was white smoking so I'm not sure...

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
i have never noticed a different noise when they go out. longer crank could be alot of things. you will only be able to see the weep hole by using a mirror as stated before. if you have to replace the pump then you should take off the intake y pipe to gain access to hoses and such.

96OBS

Reaction score
Well I found out the hard start was the glow plug relay... I think I get very paranoid about my truck because when I get in the throttle it seems like I hear a ticking. But no one else hears it. I've just had so much trouble out of my old trucks and now I'm very cautious with this one.

Latest posts

Members online