fuel mileage

brandisux10

Reaction score
I have an '01 7.3 with about 90k miles, stock turbo, basically no motor work done, it has an 8 in. fabtech lift, 37 in. a/t's, a rebuilt 4r100, a volant intake and 8 inch stacks. on my mild economy tune i'm averaging about 10 mpg all around, I've been told by a few people it should be getting better mileage despite the lift. any suggestions besides smaller tires and smaller lift?

ken6881

Reaction score
try cleaning the ebpv tube, try some diesel kleen or red line or seafoam diesel treatment, check your air filter.

There is a few threads runing around on the subject try the search function might be some more stuff to try

ghohouston

Reaction score
Your mileage should be higher, ebpv staying closed? Dirty fuel filter, clogged screens on your sending unit? Worn out injectors?

George4

Reaction score
A lot of it can come down to how you drive it. Is that your highway or city mileage? I get about 12.5 to 14 mpg on my truck but I do mostly in town driving with a 6mi commute to work and have just hit 95k on my truck.

Zaairman

Reaction score
Let's start with the basics before anything else first... is your speedometer corrected for the larger tires or are you correcting your mileage figures for this?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Been there, done that. I think lots of it.has to do with where you are driving it. If you have stock.gears, it gonna.blow fuel until its loafing along in OD.

I ran a 6" lift and random huge tire.sizes and its.not.going to be "good" with that setup. Physics.

brandisux10

Reaction score
my truck got around 17 mpg average before I lifted it. Just wondering if this was an average drop in mileage or if it shouldn't be that significant.

AKHILF

Reaction score
I don't know if that was suppose to be a hit on me or not? I have a 7" lift and 37's and I get the same as you. I pay for my own fuel and I understand if you lift it and put big heavy tires on it that's what you get....

Black 02

Reaction score
I have 37's and a 6" lift with 3:73's. Not the best combo for mileage.

I've got as high as 20 mpg on the highway. I've got as low as 10 mpg hot rodding around in my race tune.

On average, on my commute, which is mostly freeway driving, I get about 16 mpg. Plus or minus a MPG or two.

Cue the guy who gets 28 mpg towing a 35 ft 5th wheel in 3........2....... :pointlaugh:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have 37's and a 6" lift with 3:73's. Not the best combo for mileage.

I've got as high as 20 mpg on the highway. I've got as low as 10 mpg hot rodding around in my race tune.

On average, on my commute, which is mostly freeway driving, I get about 16 mpg. Plus or minus a MPG or two.

Cue the guy who gets 28 mpg towing a 35 ft 5th wheel in 3........2....... :pointlaugh:

Running the same setup.as you, Ive.noticed the.same thing. 70mph in od, a truck.setup.that way.will be loafing along. You.can get 20mpg. Then on the low side, anything under 45 and its horrible on fuel. I used to run two lane.highways with od off and.that helped mileage. Im running 35s now and its.just 16-17+ no matter what you do.

brandisux10

Reaction score
yeh i mean its nothin major to me that it gets about 10 mpg, but if i could be gettin 13+ mpg without sacrificin the lift and rubbers i'd wanna know how

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well, then, im assuming you checked that your brakes arent hanging up or swollen? Wheel bearings good? Not worn? All fluids are fresh? Not a.bunch of earth hanging unxer the truck? Keep it clean, keep it lubed, and keep it aired up. If not, then we'll continue this discussion after.such. Know guys bitchin about fuel mileage with 30lbs or less of air in their tires.

I really think you're past the tipping point of horrible fuel mileage. Going from 40s to 37s made.me.happy. Now on 35s Im just satisfied. If you use that thing to wheel then cool but Im way happier at the fuel station with some 35s and a sixer. Made a good change too.

83f350

Reaction score
on the same subject I'm only getting 13mpg in my ext cab longbed 7.3 that's stock hight with stock tires, only things dont to it are 6637 mod, straight pipe and an edge tuner. what could I check to figure out why it sucks. thanks for any help

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
In warmer months....I get between 14-15, with an add a leaf in the rear and double leveler in the front on 35's and 20's. Not horrible, but not great either. And thats hand calculated with the difference in tire size accounted for as well.

brandisux10

Reaction score
idk man, i'm gonna look into the brakes n all, but every once in a while on my economy tune my truck will over boost and then like its hiccuping it'll drag out first go thru 2nd and 3rd barely and then go into o/d. so idk maybe its the tune.

alradco

Reaction score
I try to avoid these subjects because they make me cringe :D
When I do the math I'm almost always dissapointed but here goes. Not towing anything and taking extra care to baby the truck around I have gotten as good as about 15mpg. Towing our toyhauler not worrying about fuel I have calculated as bad as just under 7 mpg.

Latest posts

Members online