Fuel Pump systems

Reaction score
Yeah, not saying the a1000 is bad. It's obviously the best going other than the prodigy pump.

But the fuelab wins as far as longevity and amp draw at a given psi.

No brushes to wear out. In theory it should run for a long, long, long time. We've never seen any issue with them.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Yeah, not saying the a1000 is bad. It's obviously the best going other than the prodigy pump.

But the fuelab wins as far as longevity and amp draw at a given psi.

No brushes to wear out. In theory it should run for a long, long, long time. We've never seen any issue with them.

Cool. I was just curious as to why you said it blows the A1000 out of the water. Makes sense to me!

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I have fuelab brushless prodigy pumps on the shelf. They do not fail. They put an a1000 to shame.

I would be really careful making a claim like this in writing. I've been selling Fuelab pumps for a LONG time, all the way back to the first gen pumps that required the speed control resistors...and they do sometimes fail.

That said, todays pumps are much better than the older ones and the failures are not frequent...but I still caution people that you won't get a "billet race pump" that is (on average) as durable and trouble free as the OE pump.

Kenbasstx

Reaction score
Well what setup would you suggest for my daily driver then? I'm pretty convinced either the AirDog II or a fuelab setup. As far as fuel systems go I'm basically on a " He said it's the best " basis.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
If you care about reliability, run away FAST from the ADII.

I see no specifics about your setup, but a 500hp goal requires 170-175cc injectors, you can feed those with a stock fuel pump and a regulated return all day long. Why even change the pump?

Kenbasstx

Reaction score
If you care about reliability, run away FAST from the ADII.

I see no specifics about your setup, but a 500hp goal requires 170-175cc injectors, you can feed those with a stock fuel pump and a regulated return all day long. Why even change the pump?

That just seems to be the trend honestly. We have a couple guys that run there trucks at the track and they still have stock injectors with aftermarket pumps. I have an '05 F250. My goal when im done is to have water/meth, larger turbo, bigger injectors, FICM, Blah blah blah. Basically all the same stuff everyone else does. I'm an enthusist and not planning on competeing in the NDHRA drags.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
The stock pump (if it's in good working order) and a regulated return will support up to about a 190cc injector (depending on the pump, injectors and tuning...this is the "ragged edge" for the stock pump). Spend your money on something other than a pump upgrade until you know you need one.

Between lots of marketing/advertising and lots of people just not doing their homework, way too many people have spent money on fuel pumps that are doing absolutely nothing for them except making their wallet lighter. We get the calls all the time from people wanting to order a bigger fuel pump, and when we ask what is done (or is being done) to the truck (so we can properly recommend a product), we find out that they don't need it...they just saw it in a magazine or heard about it from a friend and thought they should spend their money on it. A lot of people in this business would just sell them what they asked for, take their money and smile all the way to the bank (I know this because I also get the "I'm so pissed I was sold this pump" calls)...I just can't do that, I can't sell someone something that isn't right for their needs without at least making sure they know the facts.

From what I'm reading in your posts, you need to spend your money on a lot of other stuff before worrying about the pump. Once you have chosen your injectors and KNOW what power level you are really going to end up at, you will be able to decide if a pump is necessary or not. Hit me up then and I will make sure you get what you need, without spending more than you need to.

Kenbasstx

Reaction score
The stock pump (if it's in good working order) and a regulated return will support up to about a 190cc injector (depending on the pump, injectors and tuning...this is the "ragged edge" for the stock pump). Spend your money on something other than a pump upgrade until you know you need one.

Between lots of marketing/advertising and lots of people just not doing their homework, way too many people have spent money on fuel pumps that are doing absolutely nothing for them except making their wallet lighter. We get the calls all the time from people wanting to order a bigger fuel pump, and when we ask what is done (or is being done) to the truck (so we can properly recommend a product), we find out that they don't need it...they just saw it in a magazine or heard about it from a friend and thought they should spend their money on it. A lot of people in this business would just sell them what they asked for, take their money and smile all the way to the bank (I know this because I also get the "I'm so pissed I was sold this pump" calls)...I just can't do that, I can't sell someone something that isn't right for their needs without at least making sure they know the facts.

From what I'm reading in your posts, you need to spend your money on a lot of other stuff before worrying about the pump. Once you have chosen your injectors and KNOW what power level you are really going to end up at, you will be able to decide if a pump is necessary or not. Hit me up then and I will make sure you get what you need, without spending more than you need to.

Yeah I'll keep that in mind man. I know eventually everything that you can bolt on to these trucks is going to happen. I'm just trying to get the big / troublesome stuff out of the way so I can build my truck around that stuff.I get what you're saying about buying m,ore than you need but if that honestly happened I'd probably just go get something else to use that product to its full potential. I've got nothing but time, a good set of tools, and curiosity.

Reaction score
I agree with Dennis. Really IMO for a 6.0 or 7.3 system stay with stock as long as possible if it maintains pressure.

But when it doesn't, you should stay far away from airdogs or fass systems. They are tempting being a bolt in deal. They are just not dependable.

Either go with an a1000 or fuelab. I prefer fuelab but I have used both.

Anything man made can fail. Some just fail way more than they should. That so far has not been the case since we switched to fuelab stuff. And I'm not pushing it for money. We make less on fuelab than an airdog. But it is about what is the best product and what is best for the consumer. That is how we operate.

BlueFordExcursion

Reaction score
I opted for the AirDog 100 with my own upgraded wiring. I'm running a Driven Diesel Regulated Return and Stock HFCM feeding swamps 170/50 injectors. AirDog 100 is stupid quiet, and with Eric's Extreme X tune and WOT pulls my fuel pressure drops from 65 lbs to maybe 58...mostly stays between 60 and 65. Not many guys do the 100 these days because everyone thinks they need 165 or 200 Gph, which is really not true. And I haven't heard of many 100s having problems. Now that I said this, it will fail on me tonight driving home.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
The 100 and 150 were always good pumps, but they run low pressure (less stress on the motor) and don't have that stupid integrated regulator with it's circular flow path mucking things up.

Kenbasstx

Reaction score
So basically stick with stock as long as possible. Now if I wanted to get " bigger injectors " what would be a modest street/strip injector to go with my basic bolt on modifications? 1)Drop in filter
2)4" turbo back
3)SCT canned tune
4)EGR delete

04 f350

Reaction score
So basically stick with stock as long as possible. Now if I wanted to get " bigger injectors " what would be a modest street/strip injector to go with my basic bolt on modifications? 1)Drop in filter
2)4" turbo back
3)SCT canned tune
4)EGR delete

I would say a 175/75 if your not wanting anything crazy and just somthin decent quick, if you go aftermarket injectors tho you will more than likely need to get custom tuning to get them to run/idle correctly.

biggb350

Reaction score
I have air dog 2 system on 6.0 withe 225 hybrids and only held 60 psi for a few months. Drops off to 30 psi when I mash on it. Put new air dog same results. What should I do.

BlueFordExcursion

Reaction score
I'm running 170/50 swamps plus a Powermax and love it. Custom tunes are a must, especially if your keeping the stock turbo. However with 75 nozzles, you'll be smokin' like a freight train....I'll role coal with a Powermax and only 50% over nozzles.

04 f350

Reaction score
I have air dog 2 system on 6.0 withe 225 hybrids and only held 60 psi for a few months. Drops off to 30 psi when I mash on it. Put new air dog same results. What should I do.

The AD2 design is just a joke..I have it to and I'm on number 4 in 2 years, there are alot of threads about how crappy of a pump that is. I would look into a full system with the A1000, fuelab or I've been seeing alot of guys that are using the 6.7 ford pump and having great luck, OEM reliability and it will be able to keep up with big injectors, I think the Maryland guys are using it on their proving grounds truck.

Kenbasstx

Reaction score
I'm running 170/50 swamps plus a Powermax and love it. Custom tunes are a must, especially if your keeping the stock turbo. However with 75 nozzles, you'll be smokin' like a freight train....I'll role coal with a Powermax and only 50% over nozzles.

Yeah see I hate this '' Rolling coal " trend going personally. So if I get bigger injectors I'll probably hit up those guys at GearHeadz for there no smoke tunes. I drives me nuts to see kids doing that one other peoples cars, on the highway, and basically everywhere else. I'm not going to lie and say I haven't done it myself, but it was just to see how much it would so I would know what not to do after I programmed my truck.

BlueFordExcursion

Reaction score
Me too...black exhaust means wasted fuel. Does nothing but piss people off. It's a balancing act as we go for bigger power. Add bigger injectors, need more air. I'm trying a billet wheel in my pmax now. Problem is I just installed a new dieselsite hpop too. Now the injectors are running to their potential and I've got even more fuel. I'm going to have to get Eric at ID to tweak my tunes again. He's always given me an xtreme street smoke free tune. Now the race tune for sled pulls, there no way that tunes not belching smoke, even with me dumping boost juice through my water meth.

swinky

Reaction score
My stock pump drops to 20 psi with 190/75s. It's got 225k on it though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Kenbasstx

Reaction score
Me too...black exhaust means wasted fuel. Does nothing but piss people off. It's a balancing act as we go for bigger power. Add bigger injectors, need more air. I'm trying a billet wheel in my pmax now. Problem is I just installed a new dieselsite hpop too. Now the injectors are running to their potential and I've got even more fuel. I'm going to have to get Eric at ID to tweak my tunes again. He's always given me an xtreme street smoke free tune. Now the race tune for sled pulls, there no way that tunes not belching smoke, even with me dumping boost juice through my water meth.

Yeah I understand there are some instances where you need the most amount of fuel possible, but these kids that drive around with there rear fenders covered in black soot and you look at their trucks and you say to your self " .... Why do you even exist in this world?? " . I think thats probably the Army asshole still left in me though.

Latest posts

Members online