fuel smell, even when truck is warmed up

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I have been getting a raw fuel smell from my Excursion lately. I noticed it this summer, but it is much worse now than it was then.

This is after hours of driving, not just when it is cold.

Truck is 100% stock with 205k miles.

Starts great even when it was down to <5 here recently. Cranks over one or 2 revolutions and fires right up.

I watched inj pressure and didn't see anything abnormal, but i was just glancing at my scan gauge. Haven't had time to hook up my A/E yet and log it.

Any thoughts?

Jomax

Reaction score
Or the fuel line going to the pass side rear head. The clamp on the block could've worn the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah forgot about that one... that usually pisses bad enough to where it is noticed pretty easily though.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Maybe give the downpipe clamp a tighten, sometimes they can let some exhaust out in the engine bay, if the up pipes and manifolds aren't leaking.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
If it is an exhaust smell, I would normally say injectors if you are bone stock. However, if it is starting up that easy in cold temps, I think it may be something else. I am assuming you are smelling it all the time, both when the truck is cold and warm?

Do you get your fuel from the same place every time? Could be a fuel quality thing.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
While I usually get my fuel from the same place, I have bought enough tanks from other stations to rule out a fuel issue.

I to thought it was a injector issue but the darn truck starts better in cold weather than any other truck I have had. Was 4 degrees this am with ice over the entire truck and it fired right up. Hasn't been started since sat morning when I moved it in the driveway. Only ran for about 3 mins that time. So over 48 hrs sitting in below 40 temps and not plugged in and it started on the 2nd or 3rd revolution.

I was also thinking compression but again it starts so well.

It makes me think I have a sensor that is throwing my fueling off. Just not sure what might do that. I really need to get my A/E hooked up to it I guess.

Latest posts

Members online