Fuel system advice

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Been trying to decide on which way to go for a fuel system. 190/100s will be the biggest injector I forsee running. I do not want to do a regulated return at the time. I like the simplcity of the airdog2 but I am worried about reliability. Have always thought about dual stock pumps for reliabilty reasons but filter changes suck and are expensive. Last option is a a1000 with a cat or donaldson water seperator and post pump filter. What are your guys opinions. I am like 75% sure I want to run the aeromotive setup. And for $350 I can buy another pump to keep in the toolbox as a spare.

Last edited:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Gonna need a regulated return with an a1000, this setup is going to be the most expensive.

If youre looking for simplicity and cheaper cost, get an AD2 and delete the fuel bowl.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I've mentioned it alot and i love the idea of running a low pressure pump system feeding the stock pump or a fuelab/A1000 in place of the stock pump. I ran my low pressure FASS pump system feeding my stock pump with 190's and stock turbo for a long time with no issues. I'm still running the FASS, but now i have a fuelab pump in place of the stock pump. I also have a RR and the factory fuel bowl is gone.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
good way to put it, but a lot of people want top dollar fuel systems for stock replacement price.

Let me know if I can help you out bud, im local too.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
I do like the idea of a low pressure lift pump taking the load off the high pressure pump aswell. My stock hfcm was holding 60psi but it finally took a dump. And $70 filter changes make it hard to want to replace it with another hfcm. For some reason I thought you could adjust the output psi on the a1000 like the fuellabs.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You have to have a regulator for the fuelab pumps too, theyre comparable to the a1000. You can have it set at reduced speed but you still need to regulate it somehow as reduced speed wont work high pressures.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I do like the idea of a low pressure lift pump taking the load off the high pressure pump aswell. My stock hfcm was holding 60psi but it finally took a dump. And $70 filter changes make it hard to want to replace it with another hfcm. For some reason I thought you could adjust the output psi on the a1000 like the fuellabs.

i cannot change the psi with my fuelab pump. I got the pump from Dennis at ITP/Strictly Diesel...he set it up.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Alright so my only real options are the ad2 and a full fuel system with an a1000...

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
A lot of the decision depends on how the truck is used, where you drive/travel to and how concerned with reliability you are. If it's a truck you put your family in, drive cross country or long distances away from home, and can't afford to have broken down "in the middle of nowhere", building in some redundancy and having higher reliability OE type parts might be the way to go. If it's a toy or you're more worried about making power and can tollerate some reduction in reliability, going the "big aftermarket" route might be best.

You should have no problems supporting 190s with a good regulated return and a good stock pump. Feeding the stock pump with a low pressure AirDog or FASS adds a level of redundancy (2 pumps, stock pump not working as hard, additional filtration, Air Removal, etc) and will help to suppport the increased power level. If you don't want to carry a spare pump everywhere you go, staying with a stock pump leaves you with the ability to throw a stock replacement from any ford dealership in the truck if you do have a failure while away from home.

In short, biggest isn't always best. Consider how you use the truck and what's most important and pick parts that fit what YOU NEED. The A1000 or a big Fuelab are not "one size fits all" and are not ideal in many situations...sometimes there is a good case for using a stock pump.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
You have to have a regulator for the fuelab pumps too, theyre comparable to the a1000. You can have it set at reduced speed but you still need to regulate it somehow as reduced speed wont work high pressures.

Not really sure what you mean here, but my personal Fuelab pump in my race truck runs at reduced speed 100% of the time and the truck is in the 650hp+ range. I "might" drop 2-3psi on a pass. The pump we sell is moving 70gph at 70psi at the REDUCED speed. I believe that it about the same as an A1000 at full speed (but I didn't go back and check my notes so don't quote me on it).

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Alright so my only real options are the ad2 and a full fuel system with an a1000...

If you're going to run a big pump like an A1000 or Fuelab, you do NOT need the AD2. Get a standard LOW PRESSURE AirDog 150!

The AD2 was built as a high pressure pump, to replace the stock pump in Ford applications. I will not sell an AD2 to any customer that uses the words "daily driver" or "reliable". I've gone several rounds with PureFlow on AD2 units for mail order and local customers and we finally gave up on them.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Not really sure what you mean here, but my personal Fuelab pump in my race truck runs at reduced speed 100% of the time and the truck is in the 650hp+ range. I "might" drop 2-3psi on a pass. The pump we sell is moving 70gph at 70psi at the REDUCED speed. I believe that it about the same as an A1000 at full speed (but I didn't go back and check my notes so don't quote me on it).

You set my fuelab pump up the same way when i got it from you Dennis. Been almost 3 years running it with my low pressure FASS and has been flawless.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I do travel with the truck and not being able to locally aquire a pump does kind of suck. and considering the stock hfcm completely crapped out (holds 45psi at idle and dropped below 25psi pulling the truck on the trailer lol) I would have to buy a stock pump and then a low pressure lift pump as well. I also have to deal with expensive stock filters as well. What usually fails on the airdogs? The motor or the pump itself? Will pureflow sell me a spare motor to keep in the truck?

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
The A1000 is exactly the same as the fuelab pump...just a different brand.

Not quite. Same concept...large, aftermarket, billet, race fuel pump. I believe the A1000 still uses brushes. Fuelab pump is digital, and brushless. I've run both, sold both, and stuck with Fuelab.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
If you're going to run a big pump like an A1000 or Fuelab, you do NOT need the AD2. Get a standard LOW PRESSURE AirDog 150!

The AD2 was built as a high pressure pump, to replace the stock pump in Ford applications. I will not sell an AD2 to any customer that uses the words "daily driver" or "reliable". I've gone several rounds with PureFlow on AD2 units for mail order and local customers and we finally gave up on them.

I meant ad 2 OR fuellab/a1000. And these are the posts that worry me about airdog.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

strokin6L

Reaction score
well, if you get rid of the stock pump and install a fuelab or A1000 in it's place while runnin a low pressure system....you wont hafta worry about spending alot of money on those stock filters. I just replaced my FASS filters and they were $50

strokin6L

Reaction score
Not quite. Same concept...large, aftermarket, billet, race fuel pump. I believe the A1000 still uses brushes. Fuelab pump is digital, and brushless. I've run both, sold both, and stuck with Fuelab.

i knew that...i just meant that they are both nearly the same in design/outward appearance besides the difference in the innerds.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I do travel with the truck and not being able to locally aquire a pump does kind of suck. and considering the stock hfcm completely crapped out (holds 45psi at idle and dropped below 25psi pulling the truck on the trailer lol) I would have to buy a stock pump and then a low pressure lift pump as well. I also have to deal with expensive stock filters as well. What usually fails on the airdogs? The motor or the pump itself? Will pureflow sell me a spare motor to keep in the truck?

Are the 190s already installed?

If yes, still stock fuel system?

If yes, don't assume the stock pump "crapped out" just yet. I've seen trucks do the exact same thing because the stock fuel pressure management setup is garbage. That pump might be just fine, once you get upgraded lines (increased flow) and proper pressure management installed.

You don't "have to" install a low pressure pump (AirDog or FASS) if you don't want to. You would do that if your budget allowed and you would do it because you want the benefits of the extra filtration and air removal in addition to the offloading of some work from the stock pump.

If I were you, I'd start with a quality regulated return and see what your pressure does then. If you are still having significant pressure issues after that, then look at the pump.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.