Fuel tank delapidation/replacement/wash out?

flashflood394

Reaction score
I have a 1999 f250 7.3 and I just dropped the tank the clean the filters in the lift pump and it was a mess It looked like sand and just some bogger lookin stuff. I have cleaned it out before and it was never this bad so I'm stuck. What's the best way to handle this? Flush the tank, replacment or is there something I can do to help with the tank coming apart on the inside

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419810840211.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419810840211.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 51
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419811010457.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419811010457.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

ghohouston

Reaction score
That's not what it looks like when the tanks come apart, it'll be white flakey material, kinda looks like fish scales. I'd just completely clean the tank out

flashflood394

Reaction score
Awesome. I've been looking into doing a fuel system but just don't want to fork out that kind of money. But I would be intrested in building my own if anyone can point me in the right direction on some directions to follow to build one. Thanks alot guys

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Awesome. I've been looking into doing a fuel system but just don't want to fork out that kind of money. But I would be intrested in building my own if anyone can point me in the right direction on some directions to follow to build one. Thanks alot guys
it all depends on how deep into it you want to go and how big you plan on making your injectors in the future..

if stock or up to stage 2 injectors
pull fuel line off from tank to pump. replace with some 3/8 fuel hose that is rsted for diesel. somewhere between the tank and pump, get a wix/napa/baldwin fuel filter base with a h2o/fuel separator filter and plumb it in.

these are what i use.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/merc...fleetfilter&Product_Code=24770&Category_Code=
http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/merc...fleetfilter&Product_Code=33406&Category_Code=
live life full throttle

Last edited:

flashflood394

Reaction score
Ok so I'm at napa now. Do I need to buy 2 of those filter bases? 1 for water seperator and 1 for fuel filter or is there a specific filter I need and to just use a single filter?

flashflood394

Reaction score
it all depends on how deep into it you want to go and how big you plan on making your injectors in the future..

if stock or up to stage 2 injectors
pull fuel line off from tank to pump. replace with some 3/8 fuel hose that is rsted for diesel. somewhere between the tank and pump, get a wix/napa/baldwin fuel filter base with a h2o/fuel separator filter and plumb it in.

these are what i use.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/merc...fleetfilter&Product_Code=24770&Category_Code=
http://www.fleetfilter.com/mm5/merc...fleetfilter&Product_Code=33406&Category_Code=
live life full throttle
So I bought the filter head and fuel/water seperator filter and the hose. So all I have to do is plum it in line before the fuel pump. When you plumed yours in how did you make fittings on the end of your 3/8's hose just use barb fittings and hose clamps or what? And once I get it hooked up do I have to do anything to the lift pick up inside the fuel tank. Or am I still going to have to drop it every so often to clean the 2 little screens in the tank if something gets into the tank. Thank you for all the help I really appreciate it

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So I bought the filter head and fuel/water seperator filter and the hose. So all I have to do is plum it in line before the fuel pump. When you plumed yours in how did you make fittings on the end of your 3/8's hose just use barb fittings and hose clamps or what? And once I get it hooked up do I have to do anything to the lift pick up inside the fuel tank. Or am I still going to have to drop it every so often to clean the 2 little screens in the tank if something gets into the tank. Thank you for all the help I really appreciate it
if you did the hutch and harpoon intank mods then those screens are no longer there... but yes. hose clamp over the hose on each connection.

live life full throttle

flashflood394

Reaction score
Thanks a ton guys that write up is a huge help. I understand what's going on now. I have everything to do it now just gotta find someone who sells stainless steel line.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Last kit I tossed together I used brake like and copper tubing. Lol

Arisley

Reaction score
Brake line works fine. I have had brake line, and compression fittings from Home Depot in my tank and in my valley for over 100,000 miles with no issues.

flashflood394

Reaction score
Brake line works fine. I have had brake line, and compression fittings from Home Depot in my tank and in my valley for over 100,000 miles with no issues.
One last question man, I have everything ready to roll and I'm about to put in the pre pump filter. Are you guys replacing the whole fuel line from the pre pump filter to the actual pump or just a little section? Just seeing what is better to do

Latest posts

Members online