Fuelab or 2 Bosch pumps

mandkole

Reaction score
The big single (an SX Performance) with 5/8 feeds that just died. It was the shizz about 8 years ago, and worked fine, but not real available today.

In thinking about another pump, I really thinking about the reliability and quiet of 2 bosch (stocker) pumps. The fuelab will be a drop in, so please show me your Dual Bosch systems and how you set them up (parallel, series, wiring). Ive got a 5/8 straw and up to the regulator. Pump is currently in stock location and may move it closer to the tank.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
ive got 2 SD pumps in parallel and holds my injectors on a medium tune rock solid 62PSI For what its worth. haven't gotten to play with a hot tune yet..
heres the first picture of it. ive since tightened it up and made it a little cleaner. id REALLY like to do hard lines but not sure if I can make that happen quite yet.

009-1.jpg

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
ive got 2 SD pumps in parallel and holds my injectors on a medium tune rock solid 62PSI For what its worth. haven't gotten to play with a hot tune yet..
heres the first picture of it. ive since tightened it up and made it a little cleaner. id REALLY like to do hard lines but not sure if I can make that happen quite yet.

009-1.jpg

the only problem with a setup like yours, is the vulnerability of all that hose snaking every which way. that and its ugly as hell.

no offense.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Its cool but like I said above, since then I have tightened it up, its about 5" shorter with the fuel lines routed cleaner. I just don't have a new picture and not have had time to do hard fuel lines yet. Plus my truck is a pavement princess so I'm not worried about vulnerability. but to anyone off road Id say put a box around it.

mandkole

Reaction score
Single Bosch 044 with large pick-up from tank.

Does the 044 like being fuel cooled? Thinking about Tarm's setup...

Think Im going the twin stock pump route. My plumbing plan is to use all of my current system parts but insert y blocks to split the main line-- y block the 5/8" coming out of the Dahl 150 into the 2 pumps, then y block it again going into the 2 micron. What size line is best matched with the SD pump enter/exits? IIRC, there is also a special tube fitting.

Regarding wiring, do you run the pump power supply right to the battery? Dont know the power draw yet, but twins sound like too much for the stock wiring. Thought was I'd use a harness like the Strictly piece to grab the PCM relay/timer function.

SDstroker

Reaction score
another option from Irate with dual sd pumps, held my 300/200s
2012-04-29_14-03-27_592.jpg

Single pump will be the cleaned though

mandkole

Reaction score
Get the fuel lab and be done with it. I have sold a lot of them and have one on my truck and it is working great!

Fuelab reports seem mixed.. Believe me, its very tempting since it will drop in within about 20 mins in the very same mount as the SX. Im leaning more to SD twins for the quiet, parts availability, OE reliability. Running the FL at 60% does anyone have sound clips? The SX could be heard when the truck was off, but was not noticable when on.

Cost to plumb the stockers right is beginning to add up...$280 for pumps, $80 for y blocks/AN fittings, additional hose, mounts, etc. Hmmmm..

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Fuelab reports seem mixed.. Believe me, its very tempting since it will drop in within about 20 mins in the very same mount as the SX. Im leaning more to SD twins for the quiet, parts availability, OE reliability. Running the FL at 60% does anyone have sound clips? The SX could be heard when the truck was off, but was not noticable when on.

Cost to plumb the stockers right is beginning to add up...$280 for pumps, $80 for y blocks/AN fittings, additional hose, mounts, etc. Hmmmm..

I got all the fittings for makin my own for 50$ at cat...

I HATE how scattered dual setups look. Steve that's one of the cleaner ones I have seen. I'm just running a single Walbro, waiting for a weekend with sine free time.

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

V-Ref

Reaction score
I'm gonna get some flak for this....but I've been running a single Bosch factory pump for a while now...and it's been holding pressure just fine...even in 4+ms PW tunes....

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1545067&postcount=7

http://youtu.be/HGHK2PuVNFk?t=1s

My Fuel lab lasted about 18 months of -40 to + 80 degree daily driving in Alaska. When it failed, I just started running the factory Bosch pump. I've never switched back. I don't know if I've got freak pump....I've double checked my ISSPRO guage, 'cause everywhere you read on the forums, you need to have two factory SD pumps. That's not my experience....but I am using a sump.

I say run a single SD pump with a spare pump in your spare box on the truck. Use a TSD sump, drop the tank, and use the factory supply for your new return. There's a small indentation on the bottom of the tank directly under the sending unit....it's like the factory put a template there for you to install a sump. If you're a rock crawler, a sump isn't cool. But I've bombed all over alaska, hunting all kinds of critters, and never had a reason to worry about clearance.

My 2 pennies.

mandkole

Reaction score
VRef, how many miles in that 18 months that the Fuelab ran? Didnt you warranty the pump?

Your single pump experience is interesting. I wonder if your sump and resulting headpressure helps the supply side and allowing it to keep up. Mine is using the 5/8 straw so the pump will do a little more work getting the fuel from the tank.

I agree with using what you can get away with. I get good performance from a stock 17* oil pump.. so its possible in the right situation.

Last edited:

V-Ref

Reaction score
VRef, how many miles in that 18 months that the Fuelab ran? Didnt you warranty the pump?

30K maybe? I didn't :doh: ....but if I can, I'd just sell it refurbished now. I just don't see the need? :lookaround:

Your single pump experience is interesting. I wonder if your sump and resulting headpressure helps the supply side and allowing it to keep up. Mine is using the 5/8 straw so the pump will do a little more work getting the fuel from the tank.

I agree with using what you can get away with. I get good performance from a stock 17* oil pump.. so its possible in the right situation.

A sump is cheaper than a second pump and the in tank stuff?

rpm-inc

Reaction score
I never had good luck with my fuelab. Sent it back once. Going with 2 stockers on a different truck.
20131015_170145_zps31956680.jpg

psduser1

Reaction score
I can't post pics on my phone, but my dual pumps are decently tight, with two relays to run them. Parker fittings, hard line for everything, except the connections between the pumps and filters. The relays are 100 amp snowplow relays, like $30 apiece, and sealed for outdoor use. The biggest expense was the pump.
I haven't run them on bigger injectors yet, but everyone I've talked to tells me they'll support 6-700 hp, way more than I'll need. And quiet!
If your interested, I have a complete fuel system with a Di rr I'd sell. Truck I put it together for ended up in the scrapyard, due to a small fire,lol. Shoot me a pm, I can text some pics if your interested.

psduser1

Reaction score
Just reread one of your posts, 5/16 compression fittings at the pump, adapted to the style of connection of your choice to the prepump filter.

mandkole

Reaction score
A few strategically placed taps of the hammer, the SX pump comes back to life. It acts now like nothing has happened. :confused:

Good thing its not a DD... I have to drive around with a hammer LOL

Latest posts

Members online