Garrett 38R Boost Question.

Highrider02

Reaction score
I have the 38R and wondering what kind of boost pressures should I be seeing? I'm running a ts 140 extreme program on my chip. This is a 02 7.3 with afe stage 2 intake 4" turbo back to stacks and stock injectors. I'm only reading at most 17 lbs of boost. Truck runs good but wondering if I should be getting more.

With a super chips and stock turbo with wicked wheel on the 110 HP program I was getting 27+ lbs of boost.

David N

Reaction score
Yeah that seems low. I would think you'd see more.

Of course I see around 40 with my setup, but its far from stock.

I would check for boost leak, and drive leaks. And maybe adjust the wastegate.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
What tuning are you using?
I'd adjust the waste to at least 25psi of preload and also check for boost leaks and up pipe leaks. I'd guess it the soft setting on the WG from the factory though...

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
As stated, boost leaks or wastegate is your issue. Did you adjust the wastegate at all before installing?

Highrider02

Reaction score
I have unhooked the waste gate and tried that but still no difference. Only change was turbo. I'm planning on a ww2 for the 38R so I try some bellowed pipes too. There's a shortage of diesel shops in town. And I don't have time to work on it. The truck only gets maybe 100 miles a month put on it.

Highrider02

Reaction score
No I didn't adjust the waste gate before install. I pulled the red line off it. That made no difference. I had a shop install the turbo while I was working. Working 60-70 hours week leaves no time.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Take it back to the shop and tell em to get that chit right!

You payed your money so you wouldn't have to screw with it. That's what I would do anyway.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
No I didn't adjust the waste gate before install. I pulled the red line off it. That made no difference. I had a shop install the turbo while I was working. Working 60-70 hours week leaves no time.

Sounds like a boost or drive pressure leak then. I would take it back to the shop as well and have them make it right.

bruce

Reaction score
yep, take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it and not to call you to pick it up until it'll make 30 psi of boost

Highrider02

Reaction score
I plan too. Anything turbo wise I should get done to improve airflow that anyone I can think of besides air intake and wicked wheel or up pipes?

dsberman94

Reaction score
dorman are cheapest. international is another option which i will be using. you could do EBPV delete while the turbo is back out.

for the record when i run PHP 120 generic hydra tune i only see 25 PSI even every time but exh backpressure of 35 being the highest ive seen yet. i didn't mess with the wastegate yet either.

dsberman94

Reaction score
quick question. is it possible to turn this with the turbo still on? i really don't want to have to pull it back out because getting the stock up-pipes to sit right was a bich the first time and i don't want to have to do it again. just don't have the money for bellowed yet.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
quick question. is it possible to turn this with the turbo still on? i really don't want to have to pull it back out because getting the stock up-pipes to sit right was a bich the first time and i don't want to have to do it again. just don't have the money for bellowed yet.

Yep. Pull the jesus clip off, pull rod off, tighten, put it back . Don't use the clip..

I've never had much trouble with lining the collector up as long as you don't move it when u pull the turbo

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

dsberman94

Reaction score
Yep. Pull the jesus clip off, pull rod off, tighten, put it back . Don't use the clip..

I've never had much trouble with lining the collector up as long as you don't move it when u pull the turbo

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

don't put the clip back on when i put the rod back on? or was that supposed to say dont LOSE the clip?

that was the other problem. the truck had work done on the turbo before i bought it. looked extremely clean like a reman and since that wasn't even 7000 miles nothing ever seated again. so when we took the old turbo out the collector just fell back. to get it to line up with the 38r we had to line that up and clamp it before anything else. once that was clamped we then set (pushed) it down into the pedestal. then redo everything else. it sucked. 40 min project took 2 nights.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.