Garrett 38R Boost Question.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
don't put the clip back on when i put the rod back on? or was that supposed to say dont LOSE the clip?

that was the other problem. the truck had work done on the turbo before i bought it. looked extremely clean like a reman and since that wasn't even 7000 miles nothing ever seated again. so when we took the old turbo out the collector just fell back. to get it to line up with the 38r we had to line that up and clamp it before anything else. once that was clamped we then set (pushed) it down into the pedestal. then redo everything else. it sucked. 40 min project took 2 nights.

Don't LOSE the clip. My apologies.

Also double check to make sure it's lined up... If it's leaking , that will cause a loss of boost

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

dsberman94

Reaction score
Don't LOSE the clip. My apologies.

Also double check to make sure it's lined up... If it's leaking , that will cause a loss of boost

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

i know its leaking just a little bit but i think the leaking is from the donut gasket not seating right after being messed with multiple times. im doing ebpv delete and bellowed uppipes in a couple months so NBD for now but the fact that i see consistant 25 every time makes be believe its the wastegate needing to be tightened down more. thanks bud. much appreciated.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
i know its leaking just a little bit but i think the leaking is from the donut gasket not seating right after being messed with multiple times. im doing ebpv delete and bellowed uppipes in a couple months so NBD for now but the fact that i see consistant 25 every time makes be believe its the wastegate needing to be tightened down more. thanks bud. much appreciated.

I lost 7-10 psi when mine were leaking ...

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

n54power

Reaction score
im about to install a non ebpv pedestal and 38r. first thing I did was pull the clip,tighten it all the way down and put the clip back on. with stock injectors I doubt ill over boost anything

TyCorr

Reaction score
Berm-sounds like you have a leak. Especially if you had trouble.getting everything lined up. Tip-get everything connected loosely.then incrementally tighten it all up. Not one spot all at once. I even leave the pedestal bolts slightly loose for adjustment.

I would think you are fairly close on boost though. I always saw 27ish with stock inj and cast compressor.wheel.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Berm-sounds like you have a leak. Especially if you had trouble.getting everything lined up. Tip-get everything connected loosely.then incrementally tighten it all up. Not one spot all at once. I even leave the pedestal bolts slightly loose for adjustment.

I would think you are fairly close on boost though. I always saw 27ish with stock inj and cast compressor.wheel.

I'm running bigger nozzles. Turbo still lights super quick but I think that's all it's gonna push. Burns super clean once it lights. If I roll into it gently it won't even haze. I still need new tunes for these nozzles. Been meaning to get those from bill.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
aha3yges.jpg
is how I fixed mine from blowing open ...

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Wire your gate closed. Sure way to tell if its messed up or not without having to piss with that jesus clip.. If thats not it then the exhaust back pressure valve is trying to close, have a boost leak, or a drive pressure leak.

Those are the 4 problem places when low boost is the issue... as long as fuel is present.

For those who need a easy way to adjust the gate... take the stock actuator off and grind the lip off and take it apart. Remove the baffle and weld a nut on the very end of the rod... I did this on my dually and I can set pressures at 30-40psi.. usually keep it at 36-38psi.

live life full throttle

Highrider02

Reaction score
Ordered International Ceramic coated up pipes, Garrett non ebv pedestal, Garrett non ebv outlet, and Wicked Wheel 2 for the 38R. Spending income tax money for I get it. Wish I had time to do the work myself. Working 60+ hours a week and having a 1 year old and a 2 year old there's no time.

What do you think of the AFE Bladerunner Intake Manifold?

I have the 31 row Trans Cooler from Dfuser still needs to be installed. I was thinking about getting the 6.0 retrofitted banks intercooler or the 7.3L Turbonetics/ Spearco Intercooler. Which would you buy?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Plum the 31 row in with the stock trans cooler and the blade runner is a waste of money. Every thing else looks good.

live life full throttle

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I wouldn't series those coolers together. I run the 26 row 6.0 cooler and my tranny rarely gets over 140* towing 10k lbs unless it's 90+ degrees out. Even then it will only get up to about 160* or so.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I'm running bigger nozzles. Turbo still lights super quick but I think that's all it's gonna push. Burns super clean once it lights. If I roll into it gently it won't even haze. I still need new tunes for these nozzles. Been meaning to get those from bill.

Pull the clip, thighten the rod down until you get to the point to where when you put air on the actuator it lines up perfectly with the flapper arm. Put your clip on and you are done. That's how I have mine with my 175/80's and my back pressures max out at 38-40psi at 35psi of boost.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Ordered International Ceramic coated up pipes, Garrett non ebv pedestal, Garrett non ebv outlet, and Wicked Wheel 2 for the 38R. Spending income tax money for I get it. Wish I had time to do the work myself. Working 60+ hours a week and having a 1 year old and a 2 year old there's no time.

What do you think of the AFE Bladerunner Intake Manifold?

I have the 31 row Trans Cooler from Dfuser still needs to be installed. I was thinking about getting the 6.0 retrofitted banks intercooler or the 7.3L Turbonetics/ Spearco Intercooler. Which would you buy?

I run your same exact turbo set up and it is great! I'd ditch the manifold and intercooler idea for now. Clean the stock intercooler up good and just replace all of your stock IC boots and valley boots and call it good for now. JMHO

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I wouldn't series those coolers together. I run the 26 row 6.0 cooler and my tranny rarely gets over 140* towing 10k lbs unless it's 90+ degrees out. Even then it will only get up to about 160* or so.

Brain fart! See below.

Where would you put the stock trans cooler once you put the 6.0 31 row in? B/c it goes in place of the the stock cooler.

That or build a bracket to mount behind the grill. Never have to worru bout a hot trans. If you got that setup hot, you have bigger problems.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Doesn't your setup stay cool Jake? I remember you saying it maxes around 160.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.