Gearhead Street versus Spartan 275HP and the winner is...

Ronin

Reaction score
Dyno'd my truck today @ baderic03's shop. GREAT turn out, I don't know the final count but I think there were at least 30 oilburners there...

My mods are in my sig. I was running Matt/Gearhead's Street (NOT Hot Street tune). My buddy brought his '08 F350 XC/LB along running Spartan's 275HP tune (and Spartan TCM). His truck is a similar build, just bolt-ons with the only exception that he also has an AirDogII (165 GPH/10 PSI fixed). My truck's a '10 with 25K miles, his is an '08 with 110K miles. I have factory 20s and he has 18s. I thought it would be a pretty good comparison...

(I'll scan and post the dyno sheets in a couple of days...)

Just spitballin', I was hoping to run around 525. Eric thought that might be a little optimistic on the Street tune. I honestly thought my buddy's truck was going to easily run a little stronger than mine...

Ended up with 530 HP/1047 Torque. Needless to say I'm pretty happy. My buddy's truck dyno'd @ 491 HP and just under 1K Torque (not sure of the exact number). He was pretty happy...would have been happier if he broke 500 HP though!

He's run the 310 HP tune before and was happy but had turned it down to 275 HP for the winter and hadn't cranked it back up because he's been happy with it. Matt/Gearhead didn't recommend the Hot Street or Race without a delete/studs so I've been happy to run the Street until I get that done.

It was nice to get a baseline on this dyno, and since I have IDP tunes too I can swap those in and see how they fair compared to Gearhead. It ran real clean with just a slight haze but did overfuel a little bit up top. The Spartanized truck overfueled quite a bit more.

Really looking forward to comparing the GH Hot Street and IDP Xtreme Street head to head, and seeing how my buddy's truck fares with the 310 HP tune...

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Pissed I had a job that needed to be finished today otherwise I woulda made my way over to watch the fun.

Ronin

Reaction score
Pissed I had a job that needed to be finished today otherwise I woulda made my way over to watch the fun.

It was a hoot! My truck was the highest HP/Torque up until right before I left when a Dodge ran 770 HP (no torque number). In addition to the $10s/thousands of dollars he had into his motor/tranny build he puked every fluid his motor had in it on the floor of the shop and limped his way off the rollers and parked with a drain pan under it when I was leaving...way to go!

Looked like there were some real beasts lining up when I was leaving, but then again I thought that when I got there! Overheard some 6.4 hatin' when I was there too...oh well...

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
530 was the most hp until you left at a dyno event? how many trucks got on there before you left? must have been alot of 7.3s and tuned stock cummins lol

GreenMachine

Reaction score
530 was the most hp until you left at a dyno event? how many trucks got on there before you left? must have been alot of 7.3s and tuned stock cummins lol

We live in the most liberal state going, outside of Cali..... There aren't many truc enthusiasts outside punkazz kids with 12v cummnins rattled canned flat black and a mitre cut stack. Noone around this way builds trucks.

Ronin, Thats awesome to hear man, my buddy runs his 08 on a 250 Spartan tune daily and we have always wondered what the numbers were. Next dyno run i guess.

Your truck definetly sounds like an animal, would love to meet up with you guys sometime. You'll have to come by my garage and check out the restoration I'm doing on my 95 regular cab.

And the dodge..........someone should thrown a match on it and lit it up lol.

Ronin

Reaction score
The Dodge that made the 770 HP sounded like it was going to runaway...and judging from the mess it left it was pretty close!

Eric said there was a 1K HP Dodge truck that was trailered there and waiting for its turn on the dyno, but once our trucks were done my buddy and I left.

He has all the numbers but it was mostly Cummins, a few Chevy/GMCs and a solid representation of Fords. I heard a lot of excuses, "if I had a built tranny", "if I wasn't afraid to stretch my headbolts", etc. The kid I ran into last weekend that had the "600 RWHP" 6.0 (on intake/tune/exhaust ONLY) couldn't make it 'cause he ended up working. Probably a good thing for him... LOL

I was there about 4 hours, and it looked like they had gotten through about half of the trucks by the time I left. I'm sure there were more than a few trucks that ended up beating mine, but as far as bolt-ons only are concerned I'm fairly certain I stayed right up at the top.

Johnny77Mutt

Reaction score
There's 6.4 hating everywhere, people simply dont know about them. Dodge guys were raggin on my truck then I made 567. I wish I knew about this event RI isn't too far, I want to dyno with my kem tunes.

Last edited:

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I should've brought my company 6.4 truck...not afraid to push that thing on the 310 with stock head bolts. LOL Been looking for a reason to stud it.

6.4psd916

Reaction score
Good numbers. It funny how they whine about the 6.4. I had the same thing happen, while I was in the truck on the dyno.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
They wine about it because it's so cheap to make nearly 600 hp. They realize the Cummins is all of the sudden not the powerhouse they have brainwashed in their heads and they feel threatened.

I have a few 6.4's i've done run on the dyno and I'll have people try to guess the numbers and when I tell them 570+ they can't believe it until it puts it down. And then I get phone calls a few days later from them asking what to look for in a 6.4 cause they want to buy one... LOL

Ronin

Reaction score
baderic was texting back and forth with Matt about my truck. At first Matt thought the numbers were pretty good, until he found out it was his Street tune and not the Hot Street I was running; then he kind of freaked out! They wanted me to run the Race tune just for laughs and I told that as long as they studded the motor for me if it let go that would be fine with me...

And then I told them I didn't even have it loaded in my SCT...just the Tow, Street and Hot Street...it's on my laptop so I don't even get tempted! LOL

Two of the guys there were former 6.4 owners and they were real interested in both of our trucks. One had an '08 that was just extremely problematic which he just ditched after the headgaskets let go and got a 1/2 ton gasser.

The other kid (and I can call him that 'cause I wasn't sure he was old enough to drive!) said he ditched his 6.4 for a Cummins. He also kept making comments that if he knew he could have gotten those numbers out of his truck he would have kept it. He definitely had been drinking some of that Cummins Kool Aid!

Some of those trucks were chuggin' smoke at idle and were overfueling like you read about. I couldn't imagine daily driving something like that. I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch but I could see how a few trucks like that can end up causing drama for all diesels...

LOTS of gigantic Cummins stickers, peeing on Ford, I'd rather be Cummin then Stroking, etc. I didn't hate or talk smack about anybody but man that one "crew" was not pleased when their boy with HUGE dough in his truck fell short. Then the one guy who beats me (like I cared) pukes everywhere, limps off the rollers, leaves a trail of wreckage in the parking lot and has a drain pan under it when I was leaving...AWESOME!

I can't remember how many times I said "intake, tune and exhaust". I added "mild tune" and "stock headbolts" a couple of times and mentioned that the downpipe and CAC pipe probably helped too. I'm just real happy with my truck and looking forward to studding/deleting it so I can turn it up a bit. A 600/1200 daily driver would suit me just fine...

Ronin

Reaction score
Here's the dyno for my truck...

05262012F250dyno-1.jpg

Working on getting the one from my buddy's truck...he's a little sensitive about it... LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.