Getting ground clearance on 04

Decker

Reaction score
So my dad wanted to get me a wedding gift and asked what I wanted and joking around I said I want some bigger tires for my truck. Surprisingly he said alright you find what you want and there yours. He said he will get them for me when I come home. So I'm trying to figure out what largest tire I can fit under my truck. I have a 04 cclb with a 4in lift. Plan on putting on cut out flares. I do take off road during the fall for hunting seasons. Iv read on various forms I can fit 40s. But none of them really say how wide of a tire you can fit. Tarm on ford trucks and powerstroke nation has mention you need at least a 14.5 or wider to sit flush with the fenders. Also he mention you need atleast a 12" wide wheel for minimum rub. Iv tried contacting him and tank but haven't received a response from either. I know tank runs 41s but his coil sprung so I didn't know if he would have the same issues I might have. Also his look to be a little skinner then 14.5.
Curious if anyone else on here has done this with a leaf sprung truck. I want fit a 40/15.5r20 nitro trail grapplers with 20x14 fuel hostages.

Mhatlen

Reaction score
There's no substitute for elevation. I agree on the 15.50 width.
Not sure if this info helps you but...... I'm running 18X9 with 4-3/4 backspace and 38/15.50/18.
The tires do hang past the fenders maybe 1" to 1-1/2" but look very proper. Now I do get tire rub on the radius arms at full lock. Not bad but they rub
My truck is a 2006 with 7" of lift and I need every inch so tires can turn.

You don't have to have 12" of wheel for 15.50's. Mine are 9" and the tires are flat across the treads. I have never had a wheel over 10" wide running 15" wide.

Decker

Reaction score
From what iv read I'll need atleast a 12 wide for minimum rub on the leafs. I'm curious if I go with a 14 wide with 4.5 bs how bad will it rub. I'm Trying to keep it low as possible with the largest tire

F25DY_Jake

Reaction score
I have 20x12 on 35x12.50s on stock height and had to trim inner fender and bumper...
59560b55973cc21c0dcfdcf9f7eb3a89.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Decker

Reaction score
Nice looking truck but yeah I have 35/12.5 on 16x10 and have zero rubs right now but I want to know if 40/15.5 on 20x14 will fit with 4 in lift and cut outs

cbf9703

Reaction score
I've run a 37 with 4 inch lift on an 03, but the widest I've gone is a 10" wheel with 13.5 wide tires. The truck saw light offroad use and full suspension travel... had to do some light trimming and there was rubbage at full lock.

Decker

Reaction score
Is there anyone on here with a 99-04 super duty with cut outs and 40/15.5r20s On 20x14?
There has to be someone? What about 40/15.5r20 on 20x14 on a leaf sprung truck?

Decker

Reaction score
i have check out tanks truck many times. i love that truck. he is the one i originally got the idea from. His is a coil sprung front end and i believe he is only running at 10in wide wheel. He has a 4 in lift with 41s and thats awesome. Except he isn't running as wide rim or tire as i would like to go. And he would possible rub in different spots then my truck. The only leaf sprung truck i have seen with the same idea I'm going for is Duty Calls from power stroke nation but he had a 6 in lift with 44s on his sclb 5.4 which he then put on his X. With a 6in on a excursion i thought it came out to a 8in lift. so little bit higher then i wanted to go.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
i have check out tanks truck many times. i love that truck. he is the one i originally got the idea from. His is a coil sprung front end and i believe he is only running at 10in wide wheel. He has a 4 in lift with 41s and thats awesome. Except he isn't running as wide rim or tire as i would like to go. And he would possible rub in different spots then my truck. The only leaf sprung truck i have seen with the same idea I'm going for is Duty Calls from power stroke nation but he had a 6 in lift with 44s on his sclb 5.4 which he then put on his X. With a 6in on a excursion i thought it came out to a 8in lift. so little bit higher then i wanted to go.

Well then there is only one way to find out. Have fun with the sawzall.

Decker

Reaction score
So found a set of 39.5 /16 r16.5 on 16.5x12 for a good deal to run on my 4 in lift with the cutouts.
Anyone know how wide of a tire I can run? I know I can fit up to 42s so if I go down to a 40 would running a 16in wide tire fit turning?
Any help would be appreciated!

joe d

Reaction score
May i ask why you want such a fat tire? A fat tire does not really do anything for you on or off the road why not run a max of 12.5 wide? Is it an issue to get a 40 inch tire only 12.5 wide. From my experience i know 100% i can take a 35 tall by 10 wide places you CAN NOT take a 40-44 thats 15.5 wide. Fat tires float and dont bite as well as a skinny tire.Im just wondering is all no pun ment anywhere.

Decker

Reaction score
It's fine but because of the fender flares are so wide.I need to run atleast a 14.5. Also I'm a fan of the tire sticking out a little bit. The wides will also help me when I go hunting a lot of the trails have some thick sand spots and it will help with that some. I'm really trying to go for the low lift big tire look. Lower center of gravity when I do hit trails also tad bit better on economy when in the city not much but a tad.

cbf9703

Reaction score
May i ask why you want such a fat tire? A fat tire does not really do anything for you on or off the road why not run a max of 12.5 wide? Is it an issue to get a 40 inch tire only 12.5 wide. From my experience i know 100% i can take a 35 tall by 10 wide places you CAN NOT take a 40-44 thats 15.5 wide. Fat tires float and dont bite as well as a skinny tire.Im just wondering is all no pun ment anywhere.

Depends on the terrain and soil type for what type of tire you want offroad, especially in mud. If there's a hard bottom tall skinnies/ rice and cane style can do great, but a lot of other places you want to float and not dig yourself in as much.

Just my experience wheeling trails, rocks, and mud in a few states.

Sorry for the hijack OP, widest I run is 13.25 on road on any of the trucks so no useful help there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Decker

Reaction score
Yeah I agree lots of places with sloppy mud with a solid bottom or on trails skinny tall tires are great but when it's sandy or just soft want to float through or over.

I know there most people here are for performance mods so I'm not suprised I haven't gotten a response but is there anyone on here running cut outs that has any experience?

Latest posts

Members online