Give your input on tq converters

bluedge8

Reaction score
My vote would be buying the stuff from bts to lower your cost when you buy a full trans, or not buying anything and hope it holds until you get a built trans. Spending money for a years worth of use doesn't make much sense to me, and If I had to choose one or the other right now I'd buy the converter first. Vb can always go in later

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Thats what im thinking, not spending a ton. I figured a 350$ triple.from ford and vb would make last. Guys, ive got no.doubt that I could make it last, i dont hammer the truck too much. I.dont offroad either. My biggest concern was having it.in a.500+ hp tune and rolling into it hard and BLAMMO, the convertor.or.trans explodes.

Im sorry to nit pick here, but I see a problem with this. Why not just not put it into the 500hp tune until you have a trans that can take it.

Theres alot more than a TC in a built trans, who says you will only grenade the TC, whose to say if you put a triple disk in you dont frag something else...

Personally Ive fragged a triple disk that came in my built trans in under 10k. There is more to it then that. I would just de tune it and roll that cash into the new trans fund. It suck to drop 5-600 And have it fail anyways.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I understand your thinking. I just know that this convertor was doing ok with stg 2s but if I was poking along in 2nd gear and stabbed it.the converter would shudder when it locked up. Im mostly concerned about the converter holding if i am passing or accelerating hard and the converter decides to lock.

Taking it.further, lets say I stick to tune.that produces.around 400hp. Will a stock single.disc.converter hold.it for a while? The trans is fairly new, just wanted some.converter input while the motor is out. There are guys running 500hp trucks with stock trans.that just has converter and.vb. Im changing SOOO much already, i dont.really want a trans in the mix.

I cant get the trans until April anyway so...

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
if the trans is out, just put a fresh stock convertor in it. especially if you only have to make it till april, if your that concerned with your convertor.

then dont put it in the 500+ tunes.

that's just that much more money you didn't piss away, as you would have to give it all away in cores anyways.

keep that in mind. whatever you put in it, if you get a bts, you won't be able to use anyways, unless you use bts parts. it will either sit on the shelf collecting dust, or you will throw it away.

and you cannot use a bts convertor with a stock trans. brian said it's flat out to harsh for it. it will break things.

imo, your over thinking things.

casper7.3

Reaction score
If the tranny takes a dump with a high dollar TC then all that metal from the trans goes through the TC then it will have to be torn apart and cleaned correct? That would cost extra and I sure wouldn't want to transfer it over if it wasn't.. so i'd do a good valvebody and a cheapo converter till I was ready.. just my 2 cents. good luck on your decision.

DocBar

Reaction score
As i understand a PI converter is very hard on stock internals or so ive read ?

If the tranny takes a dump with a high dollar TC then all that metal from the trans goes through the TC then it will have to be torn apart and cleaned correct? That would cost extra and I sure wouldn't want to transfer it over if it wasn't.. so i'd do a good valvebody and a cheapo converter till I was ready.. just my 2 cents. good luck on your decision.
That's why I bought an ATS first :)fustrate:) then a BTS. A truism I learned on here is that if you can't afford to do it right the 1st time, you damn sure can't afford to do it twice.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ok guys. Ill let a little more of the cat out of the proverbial bag since its assumed im striving for a bts. I can afford a trans. Five grand isnt hard for me to come up with. I have personal reasons why bts isnt in the running. There are lots of trans being used day in and.day out in modded trucks that are of different origin. I had a their vb a couple years ago and it was nice but I just couldnt get together with them.

This trans im running will NOT be used as a core. Its going into a e99 with stg1s once crazyhorse gets its built trans. Im better than half sure my trans wont.be.beaten once.the.truck is.reassembled. Ive got an old sh!tter here for core duty. Im probably gonna look into that roadrunner single disc for 350 and throw a vb or transgo.tugger in and let er rip.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.