glow plug coil light on dash or wait to start light

rsater1

Reaction score
the light I noticed has come on a hand full of times in the past 3 yrs ,, maybe 4 times ,,as soon as I notice it ,i'll shut the engine down asap ,,not knowing how long it was on prior to me seeing it ,, and it starts back up fine. what could this be and where should I start ,,,,, ANY AND ALL IDEAS ,,PLEASE AND THANK U

79jasper

Reaction score
Could be wrong. But I really don't think your truck has the glow plug coil light.
Why would you "shut the engine down asap?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rsater1

Reaction score
WAIT TO START LIGHT ... worried about to much current producing to much heat ,,burnt terminals or harness connections melting wires , melting insulation FIRE !! it's not normal ,, a short some where .. u name it , being a electrician ,, I have seen enough ELEC FIRES,, I CUT IT OFF SO IT WOULD STOP DOING WHAT EVER WAS DOING ,, I can just see my glow plug ballooning inside head,, and god know's what ever else, WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS , PLEASE put 2 cent here =

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Your truck was an 01/02 wasn't it? I believe those had issues of random WTS light.. I know mine does it every once in a great while. Being an electrician, I'd assumed you've looked over every inch of your wiring harness for chaffing/cuts? Do all the testing on the GPS? Doing a little searching will yield many results on this issue...

By the way, what exactly did you cut off and why? If you have motorcraft glowplugs you shouldn't have to worry about 'ballooning' as only the cheapies tend to do that...

rsater1

Reaction score
truck is 02,, I cut the ignition off ,to stop the engine, while running down the road, yes when it happened 3 yrs ago ,, I tried to track down, to no avail, replaced glow plug and relay changed a couple electric pig tails and glowplugs and vc harness and other things ,,,,could it be ignition ???

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
IIRC its an issue within the dash itself. Some guys replace the dash, others (like me) just live with it.

What you could do is run a wire from your relay, 12v side, to an LED on your dash. I use it to see how long my glowplugs stay on for, but I also use it to verify that even though the WTS light is on, the relay actually isnt...

Arisley

Reaction score
Yes, the WTS light is turned on and off by the PCM. It actually has nothing to do with if your glow plugs are energized or not. Depending on the weather, the Glow plugs will stay on anywhere from zero seconds to two minutes.

Latest posts

Members online